The Official Sony NW-WM1Z/ NW-WM1A Flagship DAP (Live From IFA 2016)
Sep 12, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #242 of 1,101
Oh wow, really Sony?

Gold-plated Oxygen-Free Copper Chassis (Purity 99.96%)... what's it gonna do?

Riiiiight. Because a conductive chassis doesn't sound like a disaster waiting to happen... There's a reason why circuitry are mounted on standoffs/spacers. Nuh uh, not buying snake oil.

Yes the case will have an a acoustic sounds and ring in a special tone when dropped on the concrete floor. To drown out your cursing when you drop It.lol

But seriously the best way I could put it is just because you can't see electricity following through a wire, doesn't mean it's not there.

Maybe the circuit board,(which of coarse needs to be isolated from any shielding that's a conducting metal, what ever the metal is). Creates a radiated invisible field that you can not see, and of coarse this field will be affected by different metals in its close proximity, and in affect change the way the end transducers (iem's/headphones) sound.

Just like different metals in music instruments like a trumpet, change and alter sound,(just maybe). I wouldn't rule these things out. Electronics is very complex.

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #244 of 1,101
Yes the case will have an a acoustic sounds and ring in a special tone when dropped on the concrete floor. To drown out your cursing when you drop It.lol

But seriously the best way I could put it is just because you can't see electricity following through a wire, doesn't mean it's not there.

Maybe the circuit board,(which of coarse needs to be isolated from any shielding that's a conducting metal, what ever the metal is). Creates a radiated invisible field that you can not see, and of coarse this field will be affected by different metals in its close proximity, and in affect change the way the end transducers (iem's/headphones) sound.

Just like different metals in music instruments like a trumpet, change and alter sound,(just maybe). I wouldn't rule these things out. Electronics is very complex.

Whelp, I won't be spending $3.2k on Maybes. That's for sure. Also based on my understanding of electronics, no. Just no. It's one thing to say "Hey it's a premium product, hence premium material for chassis" Quite another to just make such a claim.

One wonders if FTC is aware...

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #245 of 1,101
Whelp, I won't be spending $3.2k on Maybes. That's for sure. Also based on my understanding of electronics, no. Just no. It's one thing to say "Hey it's a premium product, hence premium material for chassis" Quite another to just make such a claim.

One wonders if FTC is aware...

Nope, for me to spend this much on this DAP it would want to be an experience that only a easily replaceable battery would be worthy, so the user could keep on enjoying such Bliss long after the first battery died.
And your also probably one of those people that believe cables don't affect sound either, that's OK we are entitled to our own beliefs, a bit like religion.
But one thing I've learned is I try not to knock anything till I've tried it. I'd love to test these walkmans out :smiling_imp:....

Sep 12, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #248 of 1,101
Some cable's with some IEM'S can make big changes I've experienced this fact.
And could pick the cable blind, easily.
I think other people have been convinced that just changing the raw materials of some of the AK DAP's has made changes to the audio path.
There may be some reason for this, time will reveal the snake oil, it always does.

Sep 12, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #249 of 1,101
Some cable's with some IEM'S can make big changes I've experienced this fact.
And could pick the cable blind, easily.
I think other people have been convinced that just changing the raw materials of some of the AK DAP's has made changes to the audio path.
There may be some reason for this, time will reveal the snake oil, it always does.

That's where you're wrong, I'm afraid. All you need is a critical mass of believers, and it will start to self-perpetuate. There are myths that are thousands of years old.
However, I'm trying to keep an open mind myself. If there's one thing I've learned in this hobby, it's that not everything can be measured and you can only trust your own ears. Okay, that's two things, actually.

Sep 12, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #250 of 1,101
That's where you're wrong, I'm afraid. All you need is a critical mass of believers, and it will start to self-perpetuate. There are myths that are thousands of years old.
However, I'm trying to keep an open mind myself. If there's one thing I've learned in this hobby, it's that not everything can be measured and you can only trust your own ears. Okay, that's two things, actually.

You could be right I'm afraid, and I'm wrong, but remember there was a time where humans thought the world was flat. (So eventually the bullsh-t is revealed) just might be too late.

That's the only thing you should trust, although I bought the zx2 blindly, and my costly iem's, (didn't test either) I regret nothing, and the audio is the best thing in have experienced musically, period. So I'm very tempted to try these new DAP's, and, I am very sceptical that it's going to get a lot better than what I have already. So I can't do blind buy again.
But if Sony have done the deed then I'm ready for it, everyone needs high quality audio, it's the best drug in the world. IMO

Sep 12, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #251 of 1,101
I agree the marketing material for the copper case is totally unconvincing. I'm sure the engineers/designers that actually selected the materials had very little say in what the marketing department published. In the engineering team interviews on the Japanese Sony homepage they state that they tested several different materials with different conductivities and densities, including brass and different purities of copper and aluminum. They said that in these units the design uses the concept of 'housing as ground', so the impedance of the material does have a direct impact on the circuit performance. Unfortunately they don't go into any more detail than that, and we'll need an electrical engineer to explain if this should really make any difference...

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #252 of 1,101
If the housing material affects SQ, then I will come to work dressed as Napoleon for a month.

The only thing that could change performance is the added caps. I don't believe changing the internal wiring form OCC to kimber cables changes anything.

I am willing to bet that no one could differentiate both in a blind test.

All this to say that minimal SQ difference (if any) + 128g of additional memory = price x 3. I am sorry by after thinking long and hard, it seems pushing it a bit.

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #253 of 1,101
If the housing material affects SQ, then I will come to work dressed as Napoleon for a month.

The only thing that could change performance is the added caps. I don't believe changing the internal wiring form OCC to kimber cables changes anything.

I am willing to bet that no one could differentiate both in a blind test.

All this to say that minimal SQ difference (if any) + 128g of additional memory = price x 3. I am sorry by after thinking long and hard, it seems pushing it a bit.

Agree with you, and even more that there are 256GB microSDs from samsung

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #254 of 1,101
I agree it's pushing it, but if iriver can do it with their AK line up, Sony figured theres goto be some clients with cash to burn on them to.
Haha, we might get to call you Napoleuille.

And if what your saying is true, than this expensive DAP is a heavy brick for no good reason, which is pretty sad really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back