The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #7,472 of 11,341
I think that because they don't have a strong treble as many other headphones do, their capabilities aren't immediately apparent. I've only heard them on the desktop Sony system, with my own music, but they clearly had a significant degree of detail retrieval, at least in the midrange. 

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #7,473 of 11,341

It took me a while to love these Z1Rs.  I thought they were good, but not amazing.  Now I'm understanding the love for them.

My absolute first impression as soon as I unboxed and listened (Got them in October 2016) was both extremely positive (build quality/presentation) and somewhat "meh" at the same time.

The "meh" came from putting them on a table with the HD 800 S and the MDR-CD3000 and starting comparing at that. With such a start, you'll take off the 800's and put on the Z1R and go "Hmm, they're dark, there's less detail. And they're bassy... this will be disappointing".

But then I started switching back and forth looking for all the resolution and tiny little details the Z1R were losing compared to the HD800S and... well, I'll be damned. They're smoother and darker, definitely warmer but somehow everything is there. Treble resolution, detailed mids. And with much more satisfying bass that isn't wooly but has a nice tight punch.

It took me a while to love these Z1Rs.  I thought they were good, but not amazing.  Now I'm understanding the love for them.  I do think it had to do with synergy.  I'm digging the Z1R more with solid state amps such as my iDSD Micro BL than with tube amps.  TA-ZH1ES inbound today!

The Micro BL seems very flexible. It brings nice warmth and smoothness to bright gear like the Andromeda, but can also sound nice with naturally warmer models like the Z1R or SE846. Interesting little toy.

I'm surprised how popular the Z1R suddenly is. 

It has been from the start, I would say. Took a while to gain momentum perhaps because the release in the US happened later and that is a more vocal market. I think it's not doing bad, but could have more proper pro reviews by now. Most are very simple.

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #7,477 of 11,341
I would like to buy my first DAC/amp combo for the Z1R? What would be your recommendations below $800?

I have heard really good things about the Schiit Joutenheim, but really, there are so many great choices. I have enjoyed the Chord Mojo quite a bit. The iDSD Micro comes to mind as a possibility as well, but again so many great options. I think I would personally be very curious about the Schiit if I was in the market.

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #7,478 of 11,341
  I have heard really good things about the Schiit Joutenheim, but really, there are so many great choices. I have enjoyed the Chord Mojo quiet a bit. The iDSD Micro comes to mind as a possibility as well, but again so many great options. I think I would personally be very curious about the Schiit if I was in the market.

I think i might swing for the Idsd micro black. Or whatever it's called. Beast of an amp. Man with the awesomeness i get out of the FIIO A3, I can't imagine the upscale i'm about to hear. 

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #7,479 of 11,341
I would like to buy my first DAC/amp combo for the Z1R? What would be your recommendations below $800?

You could get the Sony PHA2A, its portable and will work with any source, any phone, computer or tablet. Battery life is short 5 hours in balanced mode, sure you have battery pack or next to a outlet
https://www.amazon.com/SONY-Portable-headphone-amplifier-PHA-2A/dp/B01M01XEG9/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1488381360&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+pha2a

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #7,480 of 11,341
  I think i might swing for the Idsd micro black. Or whatever it's called. Beast of an amp. Man with the awesomeness i get out of the FIIO A3, I can't imagine the upscale i'm about to hear. 

I owned the original iDSD Micro and it was quite a nice device for sure and the new Black version sounds intriguing so it will be interesting to hear about your experience with it and the Z1R.

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #7,482 of 11,341

If you can - or have the patience to save $400-500 extra on top of your budget - I can recommend Ayre Codex. I'm still burning it in 24/7, as it's known to have a loooong burn-in period, but there's a phenomenal naturalness and bloom to the sound that doesn't congeal into artificial warmth with Z1Rs. I just have my office PC hooked into Codex via Wireworld Starlight Platinum 7 USB, and considering going with Wireworld for Z1R balanced cable, just for the sake of consistency and synergy.

When everything is burned in, I'll compare with Leben CS600/Yggy combo at home and report back for the Z1R fam.

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #7,483 of 11,341
  Had a horrible session last night out of the WM1A balanced, the treble sounded harsh, sibilant. Unlike I have ever heard it before. I was very tired, so I'm hoping it was my ears! 

I haven't tried the WM1A, but I had a similar experience with the balanced output of the TA amp/DAC combo.  Got that annoying "ssss" sound at times, and, overall, it sounded leaner or more treble heavy than unbalanced output.  I actually returned the TA.  It's a nice piece of equipment, but I listen to mostly vinyl at home and the TA is better suited for digital sources.  Also, my other amps at a third of the price of the TA were just as good, particularly a Violectric V100 I recently acquired.  I know someone a while back said the V200 was too warm with the Z1R, but I don't find that with the V100.   The TA tends to be on the warmer side too. 

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #7,484 of 11,341
Before I left for a long work trip I was using the MicroZOTL2-S + Z1R.  Like you, I could appreciate the build quality of Z1R and sound was not necessarily bad, but the bass was too boomy/bloomy for my tastes as a guy coming from Grados and HD800.  The output impedance of the MicroZ is only 2 ohms so at the time I did not chalk it up to synergy.  The MicroZ is actually quite amazing, esp. with HD800 and my Grados.  When I got back from my trip I decide to try the iDSD BL for fun.  I liked the original iDSD so it was not unfamiliar to me, plus my AVR died and I'm thinking of just having something simple like PS4 > iDSD > power amp > speakers for the man cave.  Aha!  No more bass boom.  Still a warm headphone, but the warmth was no longer a thick blanket.  I primarily listen to jazz (90% of time) so warmth is not always my friend.  I don't think my HD800S is going anywhere, but I haven't listened to it in a while.  It's one of my favorites so I don't think it needs to get jealous :wink:  Lets see.

Like others, I can also recommend the iDSD BL.  I've owned more expensive DACs and I don't feel a let down with using the iDSD.  Sure there are some sonic compromises, but the advantage is cost to performance.  Since I use a computer as a source I do trick it out for max USB potential with a iUSB3.0 + Gemini cable, but I'm sure the iDSD is great on it's own as I know from past experience with the original iDSD.  

Quote:

My absolute first impression as soon as I unboxed and listened (Got them in October 2016) was both extremely positive (build quality/presentation) and somewhat "meh" at the same time.

The "meh" came from putting them on a table with the HD 800 S and the MDR-CD3000 and starting comparing at that. With such a start, you'll take off the 800's and put on the Z1R and go "Hmm, they're dark, there's less detail. And they're bassy... this will be disappointing".

But then I started switching back and forth looking for all the resolution and tiny little details the Z1R were losing compared to the HD800S and... well, I'll be damned. They're smoother and darker, definitely warmer but somehow everything is there. Treble resolution, detailed mids. And with much more satisfying bass that isn't wooly but has a nice tight punch.

The Micro BL seems very flexible. It brings nice warmth and smoothness to bright gear like the Andromeda, but can also sound nice with naturally warmer models like the Z1R or SE846. Interesting little toy.

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #7,485 of 11,341
  Before I left for a long work trip I was using the MicroZOTL2-S + Z1R.  Like you, I could appreciate the build quality of Z1R and sound was not necessarily bad, but the bass was too boomy/bloomy for my tastes as a guy coming from Grados and HD800.  The output impedance of the MicroZ is only 2 ohms so at the time I did not chalk it up to synergy.  The MicroZ is actually quite amazing, esp. with HD800 and my Grados.  When I got back from my trip I decide to try the iDSD BL for fun.  I liked the original iDSD so it was not unfamiliar to me, plus my AVR died and I'm thinking of just having something simple like PS4 > iDSD > power amp > speakers for the man cave.  Aha!  No more bass boom.  Still a warm headphone, but the warmth was no longer a thick blanket.  I primarily listen to jazz (90% of time) so warmth is not always my friend.  I don't think my HD800S is going anywhere, but I haven't listened to it in a while.  It's one of my favorites so I don't think it needs to get jealous :wink:  Lets see.

Like others, I can also recommend the iDSD BL.  I've owned more expensive DACs and I don't feel a let down with using the iDSD.  Sure there are some sonic compromises, but the advantage is cost to performance.  Since I use a computer as a source I do trick it out for max USB potential with a iUSB3.0 + Gemini cable, but I'm sure the iDSD is great on it's own as I know from past experience with the original iDSD.  

Quote:

Output impedance at 2 Ohms is not considered low.

Most amp designed with regards to output impedance are almost always sub 1 ohm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back