The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 28, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #7,456 of 11,341

Much better with solid state I thought as well. I liked it with my departed La Figaro 339 which is an OTL amp, but it lost bass control and became too warm I thought.

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #7,457 of 11,341
The R10 replacement. 

That's my bet for the long term outcome. I don't see Sony pulling out a better [closed] bunny out of their hat anytime soon.

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #7,460 of 11,341
  Only problem is the R10 and Z1R don't really sound alike. Sadly I haven't heard a true R10 replacement yet.

I wish Lawton would make a funny shaped cup like the r10 for the th900. The ZMF cup looks angled abit, so i don't see why not. Who knows with the right amp, dac, and some EQ (many r10 owners have admitted to eq'ing that low end), yes yes, i am aware the r10 came with like 4 different types of drivers, and they all have a unique nature to them :p But the fact the Z1R is thrown into the same sentence is nice for those new to have something to reach for, since the SONY KING is too rare/expensive/rotting.

Crazier things have happened. Is it so farfetched?
devil_face.gif

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #7,461 of 11,341
Only problem is the R10 and Z1R don't really sound alike. Sadly I haven't heard a true R10 replacement yet.

I don't think they're supposed to. That Z1R have a more speaker-like sound, with a pleasant warm lush signature that somehow still retains all resolution and sharpness of the old biocellulose Sony classics but adds a meatier, fun low-end touch to it.

I'd see it just as a natural evolution, which seems to have been the objective of the design team (having good familiarity with the R10)

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #7,462 of 11,341

I wish Lawton would make a funny shaped cup like the r10 for the th900. The ZMF cup looks angled abit, so i don't see why not. Who knows with the right amp, dac, and some EQ (many r10 owners have admitted to eq'ing that low end), yes yes, i am aware the r10 came with like 4 different types of drivers, and they all have a unique nature to them :p But the fact the Z1R is thrown into the same sentence is nice for those new to have something to reach for, since the SONY KING is too rare/expensive/rotting.

Crazier things have happened. Is it so farfetched?
devil_face.gif

The Fostex Bio-cell sounds nothing like the Sony one's sadly, even the CD3000 and R10 drivers sound quite different from each other. The R10's problem is the low-end presence, especially the bass-light. The R10 is a mid-range lovers headphone and is probably the very best at that. But yes many are not holding up well and they are insanely expensive and rare now. Not to mention the R10 is prone to driver failure due to a design oversight. The Z1R is an amazing headphone, it's just a very different animal than the R10 with different sonic goals. 

I don't think they're supposed to. That Z1R have a more speaker-like sound, with a pleasant warm lush signature that somehow still retains all resolution and sharpness of the old biocellulose Sony classics but adds a meatier, fun low-end touch to it.

I'd see it just as a natural evolution, which seems to have been the objective of the design team (having good familiarity with the R10)

That is true, it is the first true high-end Sony since the much-maligned Qualia. It definitely has a great sound and I will get a Z1R as soon as I'm able and I like it more than any dynamic or planar-dynamic around it's price-point and honestly it's the best closed-back since the R10 imho. 

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #7,463 of 11,341
Much better with solid state I thought as well. I liked it with my departed La Figaro 339 which is an OTL amp, but it lost bass control and became too warm I thought.

I guess because OTL has high output impedance causing dynamic driver to loose control on Bass. But you could have used it with Planar or high impedance HP

Feb 28, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #7,464 of 11,341
one repetitive impression i'm reading is that it is (or is amongst the best) closed cans around.
kudos to sony
beerchug.gif
hope it is the start of more great things to come.

i do know that Ty of Innerfidelity (at the RMAF show) was impressed by them, and was hoping to get in a pair for further
listening/analysis, but not so far.

...now if they'd only do a re-release on their timeless, classic ex800/1000st iems...those 6 hr old (or more?) iem still
rock (according to people who have both the campfire vegas and sony ex800st or ex1000st)

Feb 28, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #7,465 of 11,341
I wonder the performance of Z1R with smyth Realiser A16 for hometheatre set up

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #7,467 of 11,341
I guess because OTL has high output impedance causing dynamic driver to loose control on Bass. But you could have used it with Planar or high impedance HP

I wasn't going to keep an amp just to buy another headphone to use it. After I sold my high Z headphones the 339, as awesome as it was, just wasn't getting used. It is now being enjoyed by somebody with an HD800S which is what I used it with and that was a fantastic pairing.  

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #7,468 of 11,341
Guys and girls. I have an update to my life with the Z1R. I love the crap out them. Mannnnn listening to them now. It makes my playlist come alive. I have never enjoyed my music as much as I do now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back