The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 28, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #7,441 of 11,341
I would like to know how the Z1R compare to W3000-anv if someone has or heard both.
I am interested in sound, comfort for long periods of time thanks.

i have the w3000anv and auditioned the z1r yesterday but i didn't compare them directly. I haven't formed a definitive opinion on how they compare for that reason.

what i can say is that the z1r has more bass presence and it is the more comfortable can for me. @ra97or should be of more help to you once he has the opportunity to compare them side by side.

the obvious advantage that the z1r has over the w3000anv is that it's in production. :wink:

Feb 28, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #7,442 of 11,341
So I had a pretty good back and forth with buy wise on amazon and they pretty much said that the product won't have a warranty but they will honor it for a year personally without sounding like a salesman you can always square trade a accidental protection plan and pretty much be set for 3 years. So if those of you who want to pull the trigger on cheaper options I suggest going that route also. I don't think there is any fake z1rs out there lol

Feb 28, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #7,443 of 11,341
Nice, what a great pairing of headphones you will have. I haven't heard the Utopia yet, but I still think I can say with confidence that both are simply amazing headphones. Each a little different in approach, and I'm sure each equally rewarding if different. You are a lucky man as are a few others who have both Z1R and Utopia. Enjoy and remember, give the Z1R some exclusive head time at first to allow yourself to acclimate to the different signature. Looking forward to your thoughts so welcome aboard.

Thanks bro I'll be listening for a month then I will give my impressions I will give it time like you said.

Feb 28, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #7,444 of 11,341
So I had a pretty good back and forth with buy wise on amazon and they pretty much said that the product won't have a warranty but they will honor it for a year personally without sounding like a salesman you can always square trade a accidental protection plan and pretty much be set for 3 years. So if those of you who want to pull the trigger on cheaper options I suggest going that route also. I don't think there is any fake z1rs out there lol

or you can go with ebay. It's ~100 cheaper than amazon 3rd party.

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #7,446 of 11,341
So happy for Sony that they're finally getting it together again with quality gear...Cans, DAP and hp amp. I have a colleague who raves about grados rs1e etc (despite not having a pair... He has a hard-on for their wood cups) and can't understand why I'm so interested in these new sonys which he thinks won't have decent resale. His narrow minded loss.

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #7,447 of 11,341
I have had my Z1Rs for a month now and the closing comparison I can find is the audeze LCD-3. I don't know if many would agree because that headphone is more maligned than the rightfully praised Z1R. I haven't compared extensively but they both do everything I like. Plenty of bass, warmer tonality and sweet clean midrange. This is my preferred signature and both these headphones hit it. There are differences but I haven't fully explored it. But there are major practical benefits to the Z1R. They need much less amplification, much less heavy, and closed. If I only could have one it would be the Z1R for now.

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #7,448 of 11,341
I like both the Z1R and Grados.  Very different, but really good for their own characteristics whether woody, chrome, or plastic cups :)  

It took me a while to love these Z1Rs.  I thought they were good, but not amazing.  Now I'm understanding the love for them.  I do think it had to do with synergy.  I'm digging the Z1R more with solid state amps such as my iDSD Micro BL than with tube amps.  TA-ZH1ES inbound today!

Quote:
So happy for Sony that they're finally getting it together again with quality gear...Cans, DAP and hp amp. I have a colleague who raves about grados rs1e etc (despite not having a pair... He has a hard-on for their wood cups) and can't understand why I'm so interested in these new sonys which he thinks won't have decent resale. His narrow minded loss.

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #7,449 of 11,341
@WNBC  @canali - I Love Grado sound personally.... But like WNBC said they are much different from each other. The resale value of the RS1 is always there since its a staple headphone, especially for classic rock.  I'm suspecting thats why he said they were a more sound buy compared to the Z1R?

And @WNBC  I totally agree about the Z1R, in regards to it growing on me as well. Early on in this thread it was difficult for me to articulate why it grew on me. Later on (after a couple days of listening) I could pin point all the things they excel at. I also didn't want to hype them up so I tried to control my self on the threads ha. But yes they are very special....

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #7,451 of 11,341
Z1R wasn't on my mind until I ran into this thread about two months ago and then I figured I had to hear what all the fuss was about.  I got lucky with used Z1R and used TA-ZH1ES on the for sale forum.  I do own some Sony home theater stuff now but since the days of my youth and the yellow cassette Walkmans, I didn't keep up with their headphone development.  Sony was big while I was growing up for boom boxes and cassette Walkmans.  They probably remained big and I just didn't know it as a poor college & grad student!  

Been out of town so I am just getting reacquainted with the Z1R.  I haven't used my HD800S in a long time.  Hopefully that relationship is still intact :)  The Z1R and HD800S combo plus my Grados should do it for me for a long time.  I have not heard the Utopia and hopefully I never do.  It seems that every time I feel a headphone is expensive about a year later it becomes 'OK'.  1st, HD800.  2nd, Z1R.  Slippery slope.....

Quote:
  I'm surprised how popular the Z1R suddenly is. 

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #7,453 of 11,341
 I have not heard the Utopia and hopefully I never do.

LOL. Well - if you do break down and get the Utopia, you can be sure the Utopia S will come out the following month 
dt880smile.png

On the bright side its' always nice to have something to strive for. Once you "have it all" so to speak, it's a bit of a let down vs really wanting something... 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back