The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #7,501 of 11,341
Just found my copy of Keb Mo Slow Down. ​Forgot I had it! Listening to Everything I Need right now. Really like how the drum kit sounds so natural.

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #7,502 of 11,341
  I would suspect the iDSD Micro Black will be quite up to the task of the Z1R. The Mojo certainly is so if you want power the iDSD should give you good quality power.

Okay sounds good man. I'm still researching everything. I'm slowly narrowing my search. 

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #7,503 of 11,341
  Okay sounds good man. I'm still researching everything. I'm slowly narrowing my search. 

The amount of quality options is certainly overwhelming isn't it? I found the original iDSD Micro to be really nice and I liked the ability to output to active speakers. I'm sure it can be improved on, but given the flexibility and overall solid performance the Micro it does deserve to be considered. Have you also been researching the Schiit Jot?

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #7,504 of 11,341
Yeah i would go for that after. I wan't power first. 

For the Z1R, it's more than enough power, out of the balanced out. Give it a try, I'm using my 1Z with a few full sized cans too, it works just fine without needing anything else. I like only needing one unit, though it's heavy enough on its own :p

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #7,505 of 11,341
For the Z1R, it's more than enough power, out of the balanced out. Give it a try, I'm using my 1Z with a few full sized cans too, it works just fine without needing anything else. I like only needing one unit, though it's heavy enough on its own
tongue.gif

I don't really have any high quality files downloaded. I have Tidal/Spotify. Because my music library would cost me thousands if i actually paid for hd tracks. So the music player might not be the best option for me at the time being. 

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #7,506 of 11,341
The OPs budget was well less than the Signature amp would be, but yes I take it that the Sony ecosystem is the way to go if you can afford it. That said, the feedback on the Schiit Jot is quite positive so for me I would happily consider trying it if I was not able to look at more expensive pairings.

Indeed. My comment was more general, I went for the Sony ecosystem merely because I trust the components are made for each other. I am sure there are better amp/dacs out there but pairing is always a risk as it depends on so many things.

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #7,508 of 11,341
Reading that comment just made me load that album... damn, "Everything I need" really opens with great punchy drums on the Z1R. It's a fine track for that, forget the kick-drum on Hotel California, who needs the Eagles. :o2smile:

Since our hobby is ultimately about music, I think we should have more posts of music recommendations: it's such a gift!
So I will recommend Sara Bareilles's "Yellow Brick Road" version from album Brave Enough. Vocals sound mesmerizing on the Z1R.

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #7,509 of 11,341
Reading that comment just made me load that album... damn, "Everything I need" really opens with great punchy drums on the Z1R. It's a fine track for that, forget the kick-drum on Hotel California, who needs the Eagles. :o2smile:

Since our hobby is ultimately about music, I think we should have more posts of music recommendations: it's such a gift!
So I will recommend Sara Bareilles's "Yellow Brick Road" version from album Brave Enough. Vocals sound mesmerizing on the Z1R.

Good idea! Thanks.
Anyone who likes down tempo - I can't get enough of the Peace Orchestra, album Peace Orchestra.
Peace Orchestra https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00000K53L/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_2s0TybKG6PH3T

Also the album Urban Flora by Alina Baraz & Galimatias.
Urban Flora https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G036X1U/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_lv0Tyb13AAHCJ

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #7,510 of 11,341
For portable use you can get a DragonFly Black or Red to hook up to your phone and it's more than enough to drive the Z1R. They are only $100 and $200 respectively. I have the Red and with it I don't see any need for a DAP. They even drive 250 ohm Beyerdynamic headphones I have with authority.

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #7,511 of 11,341

My absolute first impression as soon as I unboxed and listened (Got them in October 2016) was both extremely positive (build quality/presentation) and somewhat "meh" at the same time.

The "meh" came from putting them on a table with the HD 800 S and the MDR-CD3000 and starting comparing at that. With such a start, you'll take off the 800's and put on the Z1R and go "Hmm, they're dark, there's less detail. And they're bassy... this will be disappointing".

I finally got to hear these this past Saturday at The Source AV and I was really hoping I would fall in love with them.  But unfortunately, I have to say I was a little disappointed.

While just about everything about them sounded great, after listening to a few different tracks, I quickly began to realize that they simply had too much mid-bass (@100-200Hz) for me to enjoy, which caused them to sound overly thick and borderline muddy on all the music that I listened to with them.  I was using the Sony TA-ZH1ES with a balanced Axios Kimber Kable, so it wasn't the gear.  While overall, they are a very good sounding headphone, I guess I'm just more sensitive to the sound of an elevated mid-bass region than I had previously thought.  So, ultimately I'd have to say that they just aren't for me (which really bums me out, cuz I'm a big Sony fanboy 
frown.gif
)  But I still want to hear them again with some different gear, just to make sure my own first impression of them was accurate.

While I realize that it has been quite the lovefest here for them, I gotta call 'em like I hear 'em, and unfortunately for me, the Z1R just isn't my cup of tea (at least with the gear that I heard them with).

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #7,513 of 11,341
@XERO1 Too much mid-bass and muddies the sound.. Did you listen to a bad pair?

​I have no way of knowing, which is why I still want to give them a second chance.  I should be able to hear a different pair at CanJam SoCal, so I'm holding off my final verdict until then.

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #7,514 of 11,341

I finally got to hear these this past Saturday at The Source AV and I was really hoping I would fall in love with them.  But unfortunately, I have to say I was a little disappointed.

While just about everything about them sounded great, after listening to a few different tracks, I quickly began to realize that they simply had too much mid-bass (@100-200Hz) for me to enjoy, which caused them to sound overly thick and borderline muddy on all the music that I listened to with them.  I was using the Sony TA-ZH1ES with a balanced Axios Kimber Kable, so it wasn't the gear.  While overall, they are a very good sounding headphone, I guess I'm just more sensitive to the sound of an elevated mid-bass region than I had previously thought.  So, ultimately I'd have to say that they just aren't for me (which really bums me out, cuz I'm a big Sony fanboy 
frown.gif
)  But I still want to hear them again with some different gear, just to make sure my own first impression of them was accurate.

While I realize that it has been quite the lovefest here for them, I gotta call 'em like I hear 'em, and unfortunately for me, the Z1R just isn't my cup of tea (at least with the gear that I heard them with).

Was the TA amp on low or high gain? I struggled with the bass on them too initially, and found that I needed to have them on low gain; on high gain they were too intense.

I found over time that I got used to and started to enjoy the bass. It ruined my enjoyment of the HD800S I had completely in the end.

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #7,515 of 11,341
  Was the TA amp on low or high gain? I struggled with the bass on them too initially, and found that I needed to have them on low gain; on high gain they were too intense.

I found over time that I got used to and started to enjoy the bass. It ruined my enjoyment of the HD800S I had completely in the end.

I didn't check what gain setting the amp was at.

For me, the issue wasn't with their low bass (which I loved) but it was with their mid-bass, which sounded too heavy to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back