The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!
Jul 13, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #1,036 of 1,278
If I'm looking for the most authentic reference sound, would you choose K3003 over IE800?
I'm considering Sony XBA Z5 too.

While balanced armature IEM can produce great details, they, forgive me, suck at properly reproducing lower frequencies thus making the music dry, uninteresting and you can only dream about the soundstage. This experience comes from owning $1000+ Custom IEM (CIEM).

If auditioning both K3003 and IE800 prior to purchase is impossible then I would rather bet on something with dynamic drivers in, i.e. IE800.

Jul 13, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #1,038 of 1,278
While balanced armature IEM can produce great details, they, forgive me, suck at properly reproducing lower frequencies thus making the music dry, uninteresting and you can only dream about the soundstage. This experience comes from owning $1000+ Custom IEM (CIEM).

He’s going for a reference sound. I don’t think making music colorful is his goal.

BA bass is not going to be like dynamic bass, that’s because a lot of the bass is felt, not heard. BA bass only retains what is heard, due to BAs not really moving air.

Agreed.
It costs a lot of money to buy one of them... need to audition them properly. Although I doubt if anyone will let you audition IEMs lol
There are specialized headphone / earphone stores that allow you to audition before buying. But depending on where you are you may need to make a special trip to other countries (like Singapore) to audition.

Jul 14, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #1,039 of 1,278
If I'm looking for the most authentic reference sound, would you choose K3003 over IE800?
I'm considering Sony XBA Z5 too.
Had them all, and for reference sound there is IMHO no better choice than InEar Prophile-8 S.

Jul 14, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #1,040 of 1,278
How do we define "reference sound"? The Etymotic ER4 series are like 95% accurate along a compensation curve (I forget which one). Is almost dead-on accurate to a compensation curve reference enough?

Jul 14, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #1,041 of 1,278
Reference sound means it is uncolored and produces a sound that is flat in comparison to the original source. The "flat" that ER4SR follows I believe is the diffused field curve.

If you play a recording using the ER4SR and record it with a KEMAR, and repeat the process a few times in a loop, you should hear similar sound at the end of the process. This is because the signal is flat and no frequency gets amplified any more then the rest. Conversely if you use a colored IEM and do the same experiment, you'll likely find the bass boosted several times completely distorting the original recording.

This is not to imply that "flat" is the best and correct reproduction of sound, because this does not take into account of the listening environment such as reflections from the wall and ceilings. However, for monitoring the recording from a microphone, they excel.

Jul 16, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #1,042 of 1,278
Reference sound means it is uncolored and produces a sound that is flat in comparison to the original source. The "flat" that ER4SR follows I believe is the diffused field curve.

If you play a recording using the ER4SR and record it with a KEMAR, and repeat the process a few times in a loop, you should hear similar sound at the end of the process. This is because the signal is flat and no frequency gets amplified any more then the rest. Conversely if you use a colored IEM and do the same experiment, you'll likely find the bass boosted several times completely distorting the original recording.

This is not to imply that "flat" is the best and correct reproduction of sound, because this does not take into account of the listening environment such as reflections from the wall and ceilings. However, for monitoring the recording from a microphone, they excel.

I just can’t enjoy the music using the er4sr, it’s just so lifeless. Although it sings using a very good dac/amp. The IE800s shine regardless of where you plug it.

Jul 17, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #1,044 of 1,278
The reply wasn’t directed towards listening / enjoying music but a remark about reference sound.
Yup. I’m just sharing my experience with these two.

Jul 17, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #1,045 of 1,278
Anyone know of a balanced extension cable that would connect between the “Y” male to the female side of the too short stock cable?
Would buy one just to be able to connect to a dac while listening in bed at nite. The stock cable is just too short to reach the dac located on a nightstand. Have added an image, this shows where the extension cable is needed. Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 2.34.44 PM.png

:triportsad:

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #1,046 of 1,278
Anyone know of a balanced extension cable that would connect between the “Y” male to the female side of the too short stock cable?
Would buy one just to be able to connect to a dac while listening in bed at nite. The stock cable is just too short to reach the dac located on a nightstand. Have added an image, this shows where the extension cable is needed.

:triportsad:

Why not just use a 3.5mm extension cable at the main end instead of finding something compatible with the connector half way up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back