1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!

First

Back
60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69
  1. privilege15
    While balanced armature IEM can produce great details, they, forgive me, suck at properly reproducing lower frequencies thus making the music dry, uninteresting and you can only dream about the soundstage. This experience comes from owning $1000+ Custom IEM (CIEM).

If auditioning both K3003 and IE800 prior to purchase is impossible then I would rather bet on something with dynamic drivers in, i.e. IE800.

Deftone and udesign48 like this.
  2. udesign48
    Agreed.
    It costs a lot of money to buy one of them... need to audition them properly. Although I doubt if anyone will let you audition IEMs lol

3. SilentNote
    He’s going for a reference sound. I don’t think making music colorful is his goal.

BA bass is not going to be like dynamic bass, that’s because a lot of the bass is felt, not heard. BA bass only retains what is heard, due to BAs not really moving air.

There are specialized headphone / earphone stores that allow you to audition before buying. But depending on where you are you may need to make a special trip to other countries (like Singapore) to audition.

Deftone likes this.
  4. John Culter
    Had them all, and for reference sound there is IMHO no better choice than InEar Prophile-8 S.

5. thefitz
    How do we define "reference sound"? The Etymotic ER4 series are like 95% accurate along a compensation curve (I forget which one). Is almost dead-on accurate to a compensation curve reference enough?

6. SilentNote
    Reference sound means it is uncolored and produces a sound that is flat in comparison to the original source. The "flat" that ER4SR follows I believe is the diffused field curve.

If you play a recording using the ER4SR and record it with a KEMAR, and repeat the process a few times in a loop, you should hear similar sound at the end of the process. This is because the signal is flat and no frequency gets amplified any more then the rest. Conversely if you use a colored IEM and do the same experiment, you'll likely find the bass boosted several times completely distorting the original recording.

This is not to imply that "flat" is the best and correct reproduction of sound, because this does not take into account of the listening environment such as reflections from the wall and ceilings. However, for monitoring the recording from a microphone, they excel.

7. lesale08
    I just can’t enjoy the music using the er4sr, it’s just so lifeless. Although it sings using a very good dac/amp. The IE800s shine regardless of where you plug it.

8. SilentNote
    The reply wasn’t directed towards listening / enjoying music but a remark about reference sound.

9. lesale08
    Yup. I’m just sharing my experience with these two.

SilentNote likes this.
  10. greyscale75
    Anyone know of a balanced extension cable that would connect between the “Y” male to the female side of the too short stock cable?
    Would buy one just to be able to connect to a dac while listening in bed at nite. The stock cable is just too short to reach the dac located on a nightstand. Have added an image, this shows where the extension cable is needed. Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 2.34.44 PM.png

:triportsad:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  11. Deftone
    Why not just use a 3.5mm extension cable at the main end instead of finding something compatible with the connector half way up?

12. greyscale75
    Hey Deftone, thx for the reply. The upper part of ie800s is a balanced female. The 3.5 isn't balanced. Thanks for the idea, hadn't thought of that.

13. Deftone
    yeah i mean to say at the 4.4mm end

First

Back
60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69