The official "most OVERRATED headphones" thread
Feb 3, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #347 of 666
Probably the Sony MDR series. Way too muddy for me. Also, the KOSS UR-15 I think it is. Sure, its a budget phone. But JVC makes better sounding budget phones for the same price.

Also, about Bose. I dont see why people hate them so much. Sure, for the same money, you can get better sounding stuff. But there stuff still sounds pretty damn decent and they have the best portability/comfort/resale value out of annything Ive seen.

Feb 3, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #348 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minarets /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good to not see my K81DJs so far
smily_headphones1.gif

I couldnt get these into the "for sale" forum fast enough.

Feb 3, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #350 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by EYEdROP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably the Sony MDR series. Way too muddy for me.

Have you heard the MDR-SA5000? I don't think "muddy" is the right world.

I think Bose has the most overrated headphones. Not talking about here, but that they've managed to convince millions that they're the best. We know better, but most people don't.

Feb 3, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #351 of 666
The GS1000.

Granted.. it might have been because I had ridiculously high hopes for them. When I put them on, I was actually expecting to be physically transported to the Los Angeles Concert Hall.. suffices to say, it did not. I am still in Michigan and it is cold...

Feb 3, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #352 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you heard the MDR-SA5000? I don't think "muddy" is the right world.

I think Bose has the most overrated headphones. Not talking about here, but that they've managed to convince millions that they're the best. We know better, but most people don't.

I havent heard the 5000. Id sure love to though. That freq range is nuts. Im sure those are an exception.

And I agree. Bose's sound quality is overhyped. But hey, Microsoft managed to do the same thing with Windows. Not that Windows is ****ty, or Bose, but there are usually better alternatives (depending on your situation, but almost always).

Feb 3, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #354 of 666
My first nice pair of 'phones were the akg 540DFs. I loved them. Now I have a pair of 501s, which I rarely listen to. For my tastes they're too revealing and analytical. Of course it's one's personal taste. Still I pickup the DT880s or the HD580s now days. It's such a razor's edge: wanting both clarity and rich harmonics simultaneously. After a point, they're mutually exclusive. imo.

Feb 3, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #355 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
agreed, unless you include the Sennheiser HD25-1... such a good can, if i'm ever in a situation where i can't wear IEMs anymore, i'll definitely buy a pair.

the k81dj was way too muddy for me... marshmallows were less muddy IMO

HD25-1 is sh**. One of the best sounding headphones for studio recording, editing, djing, etc.

Feb 3, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #357 of 666
overrated?

Let me see...
Shure E3 - only mids
Shure E4 - no detail, er4p beats you to death
Shure E5 - all about mids, everything else has been filtered out
Shure E500 - what can I say...nice, but not that nice to spend that crazy price
Senn HD280 - just boring
Sony MDR-90EX - muddy and nasty
Sennheiser CX300 - muddy and nasty
Creative EP-630 - muddy and nasty
Etymotic ER-6i (sounds like carp)
Senn HD580 - does nothing...useful as paperweight
Senn HD650 - does nothing...useful as paperweight
SR-60 - actually, I need more treble and detail

Feb 7, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #360 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by gritzcolin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AHAHAHAHA!

I don't see how the KSC75 got any votes. They are the best $20 in production I'd like to see a competitor under $50 cause there aren't many not even the iGrado.

Yes. They are the best $20 in production. I love my KSC75 dearly and recommend them to people around the office if only to enrich their lives.

I have, however, seen more than a couple of Head-Fi posters proclaim these to be better sounding than Grado SR60/80/125, going so far as to discourage other people to stay away from them and buy KSC75 instead because they won't notice a difference.

Give me a break. They're good, but they're $20 for a reason. Pump some big bass through them and you'll hear why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back