The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Feb 20, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #2,747 of 3,640
New 325is owner checking in (#10,684). I purchased the 80is and loved the Grado sound so much that I decided to return my M50s (which were no longer getting any desktop use) and upgrade from the 80is to the 325is. Still breaking them in, but loving the detail in my music (pairing them with the Audioengine D1 DAC/amp). I made the mistake, however, of auditioning the PS1000 today - wow. For $1700, though, I don't see myself making that jump any time soon. I did pick up a pair of the (G) pads and while I need to listen a bit more to determine whether there are any SQ improvements, the added comfortability is awesome. 

All in all, I'm a happy camper. Still haven't listened to the RS1i yet, but I feel like that might be my next upgrade. I've read through some of the other threads discussing the differences between the RS1is and the 325is, but do any of you 325is owners have an opinion on whether it would truly be an upgrade or more of a preference in sound? 

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #2,748 of 3,640
Quote:
New 325is owner checking in (#10,684). I purchased the 80is and loved the Grado sound so much that I decided to return my M50s (which were no longer getting any desktop use) and upgrade from the 80is to the 325is. Still breaking them in, but loving the detail in my music (pairing them with the Audioengine D1 DAC/amp). I made the mistake, however, of auditioning the PS1000 today - wow. For $1700, though, I don't see myself making that jump any time soon. I did pick up a pair of the (G) pads and while I need to listen a bit more to determine whether there are any SQ improvements, the added comfortability is awesome. 

All in all, I'm a happy camper. Still haven't listened to the RS1i yet, but I feel like that might be my next upgrade. I've read through some of the other threads discussing the differences between the RS1is and the 325is, but do any of you 325is owners have an opinion on whether it would truly be an upgrade or more of a preference in sound? 

Congradulations on the 325is, they are a great headphone, although I never heard the RS1i's most people love them. I would not be so quick to look to upgrade so soon, you really have a great sounding headphone, and the more hours you put on them the better they sound, so enjoy them, especially if you like the sound signature.

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #2,751 of 3,640
the rs1i is definitely an upgrade, same aggressive sound, but its not bright, its warm with a sweet smooth tone to it. better soundstage, bass, and about the same detail, maybe more transparency, or about the same.

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #2,752 of 3,640
Quote:
the rs1i is definitely an upgrade, same aggressive sound, but its not bright, its warm with a sweet smooth tone to it. better soundstage, bass, and about the same detail, maybe more transparency, or about the same.

Cool, thanks. I was able to audition basically every set of Grados the other day except the RS1i, which unfortunately is the one I would be aiming at if I wanted to upgrade. I did notice the RS2i had a warmer, smoother tone to it in comparison to my 325is, so I assume it has a bit to do with the wood cups. I wonder if I would be better off with just picking up some wood cups for my 325is. In lieu of that, do you think the upgrade to the RS1i is worth the extra dough?

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #2,753 of 3,640
Quote:

Cool, thanks. I was able to audition basically every set of Grados the other day except the RS1i, which unfortunately is the one I would be aiming at if I wanted to upgrade. I did notice the RS2i had a warmer, smoother tone to it in comparison to my 325is, so I assume it has a bit to do with the wood cups. I wonder if I would be better off with just picking up some wood cups for my 325is. In lieu of that, do you think the upgrade to the RS1i is worth the extra dough?

I think you would have to listen to the RS1i and then decide for yourself if the 400$U.S. is worth it or not. This is what I meant when I said enjoy the 325is that you just got, they are great headphones, and I don't know how many hours you have on them, but let them burn in, they sound better and better IMO.

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #2,754 of 3,640
i think it is, if you enjoy that warmer smoother tone. the 325 are great as well though. 

you should try and find rs1i used though since there are better headphones overall for that price, but if you enjoy that grado sound, highly recommended!!! 
beerchug.gif

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #2,755 of 3,640
Before you rush out to upgrade to the RS1is try the "tape mod" for your 325is'.  I own both of these headphones and had packed away my 325is' after I got the RS1is' until I tried this "tape mod".  With this mod my 325is' are back in my regular listening rotation again.  This mod costs pennies and is completely reversible if you do not like it.  Before the "tape mod" I loved the sound of my 325is but found them too bright after upgrading to the RS1is.  The "tape mod" definitely solved the too bright problem for me.

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #2,756 of 3,640
New SR325i owner 14633 - Checking in!

I've enjoyed my SR80s for 3-4 years now and finally decided to upgrade.
I'm already hearing things in familiar recording I hadn't noticed before - chairs creaking and other background. I took my headphones off once because I thought there was some noise going on in the room, but it turned out to be an odd harmonic or something from a cello I hadn't noticed before in the music.

It seems all my equipment is stereo mini - anyone have recommendations for a high quality adapter for the 325i's 1/4"?
Right now I'm using a cheap-o Radio Shack adapter that makes the connector stack dangle out 4" from the jack and sometimes I get mono sound. I'd like something with a small amount of cord to it like the Grado adapter, but I've read some who say the Grado adapter is junk. I'm not opposed to making my own, but haven't found a good quality 1/4" female connector.

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #2,757 of 3,640
Yea those RadioShack adapters are pretty junky. I actually have 2 really good adapters. The better one is the grade brand on (I found it at my local high fi shop) another good one is made by hosa:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068O6B/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good luck!

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #2,760 of 3,640
Hmm, can anyone comment on what is junkie about the Grado adapter? When I bought my 325is I had the option of a cheap adapter and the Grado one and I "sprung" (it was like $14) for the Grado. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back