The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Nov 19, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #1,561 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You allow your girlfriend to dictate what you can and cannot buy?

No, I just know she's going to have one of those "You're collecting unemployment and you're buying new stuff" complaints. Most women don't understand a man's obsession with high quality audio. I'll probably still do it then give her the stock, "go buy some more shoes" answer I usually give her when she gets annoyed by my hifi purchases.

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #1,562 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really thinking of buying a set of 325s. I really like the sound of them. My 125s might go on ebay ... my gf is going to kill me.

It's a shame they are a different colour.
I got away with a new trials motorcycle for three years,but i always bought a red one.( montessa,armstrong ,honda)Seemed to get under the radar,or perhaps she just pretended not to notice.
She spotted the 325is's tho'
redface.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #1,563 of 3,640
I guess the only answer is getting the black, much more expensive early 325's with transition drivers. In the name of love, I might add!

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #1,564 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, Mark: where and how is this 100 ohm resistor placed, anyway? On the headphones themselves, or is this something that can be added to an amp? (Please forgive me; I am just getting into the DIY electronics side of things on these forums.
redface.gif
)

erm just adding an in line resistor i used 100 ohm impedance adapter from UE. kinda like this ETYMOTIC ER4P TO ER4S RESISTOR ADAPTOR (3.5MM PLUG) on eBay (end time 10-Dec-09 02:53:01 GMT)

really calmed down its splashyness, just oh so much better controlled now.

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #1,565 of 3,640
Thanks very much for the explanation, Mark. Easy as pie, surprisingly. And not too expensive either!

Nov 19, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #1,566 of 3,640
Nov 20, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #1,567 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just let her think that the 325's are a cheaper variant of the 125's!
wink.gif
You will likely be very pleased with them. Until the HF-2's won me over, I was in rapture with my SR-325is's. The only complaint, really, was that they were a tad heavy. Otherwise, amazing SQ. They also sounded great on my LD 1+.

Agreed. The jump from the SR125 to SR325is is a good one with Grados. I was really happy with it, despite the heaviness drawback, which is real. They're kind of cold too, with all that metal. And put me in the camp that hides these things from the old ball and chain as much as possible. I shouldn't dictate how the family funds are spent.

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #1,568 of 3,640
I get you. The magic trick is just to tell your significant other that said item is, oh... let's see: $63.99. What's the big deal with an HF-2 for less than $65 bucks?! Then hope like mad that she/he doesn't Google "Head-f1".

Nov 21, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #1,569 of 3,640
Proud new owner of grado 325IS. Serial number: 2236. Really good sound! I did the basshead mod with the tape on the earcups and DAMN DO THEY HAVE SOME PUNCH!! Got them in montreal for a sweet price!
dt880smile.png
I really love these and my roommate is DAMN jalous! Once you go Grado you dont go back!

By the way is my serial number normal for a brand new pair?

Nov 21, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #1,570 of 3,640
Sorry guys, I decided to go to the "dark side"(
tongue.gif
see what I did there?) and buy a 225i instead of a 325i.

Nov 21, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #1,571 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by | Scorpio | /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry guys, I decided to go to the "dark side"(
tongue.gif
see what I did there?) and buy a 225i instead of a 325i.

Wow - with zany guys like yourself on Head-Fi, I can see that I have to get creative on my next shopping trip:

Plan was : RS-1
New Plan : HD600

Sure, it will be boring as hell, but then I can post in the RS-1 appreciation thread.

See what I did there ?

Nov 22, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #1,572 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They touch your ears?

The parts with the white screens rest very gently against the outermost ridge of my outer ear. Not the edge, not sure how else to describe it. The screens are kind of black now. I hope this doesn't have a noticeable impact on their sound. Since the staining process has been very gradual, I am not certain. As a reference, my recabled HD600 has the edge in clarity, but only a tiny bit.

Regardless, I wouldn't mind replacing the screens with something less absorbent.

Nov 22, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #1,573 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The parts with the white screens rest very gently against the outermost ridge of my outer ear. Not the edge, not sure how else to describe it. The screens are kind of black now. I hope this doesn't have a noticeable impact on their sound. Since the staining process has been very gradual, I am not certain. As a reference, my recabled HD600 has the edge in clarity, but only a tiny bit.

Regardless, I wouldn't mind replacing the screens with something less absorbent.

I suggest bringing the headphones forwards and downwards a bit so that that the sponge of the bowl rests against the outermost part of your outer ear. In this way the white part doesn't come in contact with any of your ear and the phones actually sound better. Since discovering this, I wear both my Grados in this way. No more discomfort with the white parts sitting on my ear.

Nov 22, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #1,574 of 3,640
That's what I do, in fact. The edge of the bowl rests on the back edge of my ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back