The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Nov 8, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #1,546 of 3,640
Also, look into Denon AH-D1001s. I've used SR-80s on public transportation, and believe me, Grados are not good for that purpose. You either have to turn them so down you barely hear your music, or you piss off people around you.

That's why I bought a pair of JVC Air Cushions.
tongue.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #1,549 of 3,640
I like how they bring out more detail compared to the 80i's but unfortunately I am only driving them via my notebook with foobar + that vista plugin. I am actually away from home, at home I use a dac and LDIII.

Nov 15, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #1,550 of 3,640
i must be about 250h ish into my 325is. the first 100h was burnt in with 20 min of pink noise with 2 min of digital silence cycled.
My duet has about 550h ish on it maybe more.

i use a apogee duet (had a ibasso d10, didnt like it.) to drive my grado's from my mbp. the source is either 320 to flac/lossless.

i find the pairing of the 325is and the duet to be a fantasic match. very clean instument seperation, highs settled in with burning in and a very detailed punchy bass. its mids is where i feel these thing shine, vocals mwah, fast rock/rock gets you toe tapping, as headbangin tends not to bode well with headphones.

if you cant tell im a huge fan, at first the question did i make the right choice? bugged me, harsh high's etc. a bit of a burn in and the can's settled in, and began to sing with clarity of no other in this price bracket (or a few bracket above for that matter)

for "in you face", detailed, punchy controled bass (not the sloppier hd650 stuff i get form my set up) these put a smile on my face every time.

for the duet since the day of purchase, im a happy customer. at first the initial cost gave me a slight question of was this the right thing. well now i feel i can answer that. YES, HELL YES. lov it as dac to my amps, love it as portable set up with my MBP. great bit of kit.

even though i favor my 325is paired with the duet, i do find it runs the hd650's well.
its only listening to the hd650 on a tube amp you realize there is more out there.
but at a much higher cost and without the option of portability. As a compromise not a bad one.

Cant wait to stick a woo wa6 maxed in that set up. if not for the 325is but for the sake of my hd650s.

Nov 15, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #1,551 of 3,640
Thanks for the amp reccomendation, woolnerc, but the Duet is $700 locally. Thats $50 more than the Corda Cantate costs here in Oz - faced with a choice between a good mains-powered amp and a portable, I suspect that many will opt for the former. What is the asking price in your neck of the woods ?

Nov 15, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #1,552 of 3,640
i paid 320 pounds (UK) which is about 535 usd or 572 aud. so for once something was cheaper in the uk.

for me a the portability was key and a dame fine dac. the duet is both a portable headphone amp (kind of) and a good, sorry great Dac.

will link up direct to a pair of active moniters. or tube amp amp
go my sights on a pair of krk vxt 8's and a woo wa6 maxed with pre-amp mod.

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #1,553 of 3,640
You guys recommend any alternative material(s) to the white screens on the baffle/whatyoumacallit?
[size=xx-small]I don't really like how they absorb sebum.[/size]

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #1,556 of 3,640
Hey, Mark: where and how is this 100 ohm resistor placed, anyway? On the headphones themselves, or is this something that can be added to an amp? (Please forgive me; I am just getting into the DIY electronics side of things on these forums.
redface.gif
)

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #1,557 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, Mark: where and how is this 100 ohm resistor placed, anyway? On the headphones themselves, or is this something that can be added to an amp? (Please forgive me; I am just getting into the DIY electronics side of things on these forums.
redface.gif
)

I think it's meant to be soldered inbetween the stereo jack and the wires?

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #1,559 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really thinking of buying a set of 325s. I really like the sound of them. My 125s might go on ebay ... my gf is going to kill me.

You allow your girlfriend to dictate what you can and cannot buy? Do you do the same for her, and work 60 hours a week then give her all your money and she spends how she likes?

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #1,560 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really thinking of buying a set of 325s. I really like the sound of them. My 125s might go on ebay ... my gf is going to kill me.

Just let her think that the 325's are a cheaper variant of the 125's!
wink.gif
You will likely be very pleased with them. Until the HF-2's won me over, I was in rapture with my SR-325is's. The only complaint, really, was that they were a tad heavy. Otherwise, amazing SQ. They also sounded great on my LD 1+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back