The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Sep 11, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #391 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recabling them is for fools with too much money !

Reasons:

1. Doesn't make them sound any better, it is just in your head after spending so much money on them.

2. Voids Grado warranty if you ever require service.

i completely agree!!
i think i spent enough money already by just buying these babies.
icon10.gif

the only time i would recable headphones is when the stock cable fux up like my hd580's did after the warranty expired. i replaced the hd580 stock cable with a $70 cable and it didnt make much difference. even the subtle change/improvement might be some kinda placebo effect in my head.

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #392 of 3,640
Add me to the list! #6353 reporting in... Just received these babies today and damn was the wait for FedEx to deliver these a torture. They're getting burned in as I type!

Sep 25, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #394 of 3,640
hey what genres would you guys say that the 325i really excels in? im looking for a headphone mainly that will excel for jazz, preferably in the upper ranges as i listen to quite alot of trumpet and sax jazz. i also would be listening to a small amount of rock on them but thats not nearly as big of a concern to me. secondly, ive seen mixed things about putting the GS1000 donuts on 325i. ive heard it gives the sound a gs1000 signature...others say its a worthless swap to make. so would i be better of just going for headphile c cups?

Sep 25, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #395 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisnalee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fatcat have you got your 325i's back from larry yet?

Not yet. the wait period changed from 4 to 8 weeks from the time we started communicating to the time I sent him the phones. today is the end of week 8. I expect to hear something soon. I'll post pictures as soon as I get them back.

Sep 25, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #396 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by el_matt0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey what genres would you guys say that the 325i really excels in? im looking for a headphone mainly that will excel for jazz, preferably in the upper ranges as i listen to quite alot of trumpet and sax jazz. i also would be listening to a small amount of rock on them but thats not nearly as big of a concern to me. secondly, ive seen mixed things about putting the GS1000 donuts on 325i. ive heard it gives the sound a gs1000 signature...others say its a worthless swap to make. so would i be better of just going for headphile c cups?

thoughts?

Sep 25, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #397 of 3,640
C-pads and bagels (GS1000 pads) are both more comfortable than bowls or flats, but sound less grado than bowls or even flats

they both change the sound significantly (and according to most not for the good) and whether the gained comfort is enough to outweigh the difference in sound is up to you as it is a very personal matter... for experimenting the bagels are quite a bit cheaper than the C-pads of course

I personally have no comfort problems with the bowls so I have not felt the need to go and try other pads (except for the comfies which I got with my SR-60 and the cheapo HD414-pads I experimented with... did prefer the bowls, so didn't search any further)

Sep 26, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #398 of 3,640
This is written at Grado's site for the SR325i:

"SR325i : The top of the line in the Grado Prestige Series. Winner of Audio Video’s “HI-FI GRAND PRIX AWARD”.

Sound: The SR325i embodies all the sound benefits of the Signature series, clean open highs, smooth well defined midrange and bass that will rock. The SR325i is an excellent value yielding performance that one would have to spend 3-4 times their price in competing headphones."

What the heck is the "Signature" series ?

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #399 of 3,640
This may have been discussed before but has anyone tried using an ER4P>S impedance cable with their 325i...or any Grado?

I tried this a couple month ago and didn't have enough time to really listen closely but tonight I seem to hear an added warmth and maybe a mellowed sound...I'm still not sure.

Sep 26, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #400 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This may have been discussed before but has anyone tried using an ER4P>S impedance cable with their 325i...or any Grado?

I tried this a couple month ago and didn't have enough time to really listen closely but tonight I seem to hear an added warmth and maybe a mellowed sound...I'm still not sure.

Funny you mentioned this because I actually connected my 325i to my DIY P->S cable last night and I guess you can call it somewhat of a warmer and mellowed sound. I'd have to listen some more, as well as without the cable to "feel" it... then again this is the first time I'm using these headphones.

Sep 26, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #401 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is written at Grado's site for the SR325i:

"SR325i : The top of the line in the Grado Prestige Series. Winner of Audio Video’s “HI-FI GRAND PRIX AWARD”.

Sound: The SR325i embodies all the sound benefits of the Signature series, clean open highs, smooth well defined midrange and bass that will rock. The SR325i is an excellent value yielding performance that one would have to spend 3-4 times their price in competing headphones."

What the heck is the "Signature" series ?

http://www.gradolabs.com/product_pages/sr325.htm

where ?

Sep 26, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #402 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll post pictures as soon as I get them back.

Please do, my wifes going to pay for larry to do a bit of work on mine for a xmas pressie. So by the sounds of the lead time i'd probably need to get them off to him in the next week or 2 to have any chance getting them back by the end of december.

Sep 26, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #403 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisnalee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please do, my wifes going to pay for larry to do a bit of work on mine for a xmas pressie. So by the sounds of the lead time i'd probably need to get them off to him in the next week or 2 to have any chance getting them back by the end of december.

Shoot Larry an email to determine the current lead time, it does vary, however I'd guess he's very busy in the time leading up to the holidays.

Sep 26, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #404 of 3,640
Mine arrived today
smily_headphones1.gif

Just "Listening them in" now... Got about 2 hours on them so far and I think they're getting better already... They sounded harsh as hell out of the box, but they're smoothing out and are making me
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #405 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a 200Ω adapter which I sometimes use with my MS2i. It does darken the sound, but I find that is mostly by softening the treble a bit. For my tastes (with the warmish sounding HeadFive) this makes them borderline overly dark

The most shocking difference for my ears is the very deep blackground (absolutely no sound between notes) and the faster decay of notes as well... all sounds become more discrete (decoupled?) and every last hint of blurriness is gone (so it is darker, but not muddied, just pitch black dark)

Still, 200Ω is pretty much and I am looking forward to experimenting with other resistor values as well (waiting till I need to place another DIY-order so I won't be paying ridiculously lots of shipping for a couple of resistors
tongue.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back