The Official Grado 325e Owners Club!
Aug 20, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #181 of 312
They get better as you approach the 100 hour mark. Mine sounded decent at about 50 hours of use then got better after 100 hours. The mids come alive and the highs get tamed as well as more bass with the TTVJ deluxe pads, but at the expense of soundstage. I can't listen to mine with the stock bowl pads as they are too bright and they hurt my ear lobes after an hour. The flat pads are ok and more comfortable.

I keep hearing about those pads but I want to run these stock for a few months so that I get a true feel for them.

Thanks for the feedback.

Shane D

Sep 3, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #182 of 312
They get better as you approach the 100 hour mark. Mine sounded decent at about 50 hours of use then got better after 100 hours. The mids come alive and the highs get tamed as well as more bass with the TTVJ deluxe pads, but at the expense of soundstage. I can't listen to mine with the stock bowl pads as they are too bright and they hurt my ear lobes after an hour. The flat pads are ok and more comfortable.
-------------

I've had the 325e's for well over two years and I'm as enthusiastic as ever!

I feel that with an excellent source such as Mojo, properly eq'd - highs slightly turned down -
and possibly tweaked - I use the Jitterbug - the sound is amazing at low to moderate volumes.

If the subtle eq is removed and/or listening at loud levels they can sound overly bright and sharp,
but properly eq'd, with system synergy - for my tastes AQ Jitterbug definitely helps convey some appreciated heft/weight, (even more) ease and musicality - at reasonable volumes these are giant killers - while my GS1000i's are smoother, with larger soundstage and more refined sound - they are possibly too refined sometimes. Setup the way I've described - the 325e's are incredibly musical headphones.

I can fully appreciate classic rock, jazz and pop with the 325e's at safe listening levels-
while still getting the full experience of the performance and recording.

....no need to listen loud!

I really feel that the 325e's are under-appreciated and under-rated. Setup properly,
I feel that they are one of Grado's best and are absolute keepers!

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #183 of 312
I liked them and then I didn't. With more time I am liking them more. I thought my pair was defective, but it is just that the jack will not secure in my ipod (2016 iPod classic), and so I was getting static in my left ear with certain songs.
If is fine with my Sony, which sounds better anyway. Probably time to get rid of the whole ipod system, but I will really miss the flexibility, customizability and ease of use with itunes to iPod.

Shane D

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #184 of 312
-------------

I've had the 325e's for well over two years and I'm as enthusiastic as ever!

I feel that with an excellent source such as Mojo, properly eq'd - highs slightly turned down -
and possibly tweaked - I use the Jitterbug - the sound is amazing at low to moderate volumes.

If the subtle eq is removed and/or listening at loud levels they can sound overly bright and sharp,
but properly eq'd, with system synergy - for my tastes AQ Jitterbug definitely helps convey some appreciated heft/weight, (even more) ease and musicality - at reasonable volumes these are giant killers - while my GS1000i's are smoother, with larger soundstage and more refined sound - they are possibly too refined sometimes. Setup the way I've described - the 325e's are incredibly musical headphones.

I can fully appreciate classic rock, jazz and pop with the 325e's at safe listening levels-
while still getting the full experience of the performance and recording.

....no need to listen loud!

I really feel that the 325e's are under-appreciated and under-rated. Setup properly,
I feel that they are one of Grado's best and are absolute keepers!

Wow. My mind is blown with these. I bought the 325e over a year ago when I went into a shop to compare the Audeze EL-8 open back vs. closed back versions to see which of the two I liked best as my next purchase. I got side tracked for a moment when someone handed me the 325e (w/G-cush pads) and I fell in love with their sound which just seemed to sparkle yet it had some bass impact too. So I walked out with the Grados that day.

Long story short I haven't used them much since. They made a hell of a first impression on me, but since my source has been my smartphone all this time, and since the headphone amp I bought (Sony pha-1a) doesn't pair as well with them as my PSB -M4U2 cans, they've kind of sat around.

Well, I was on my way back to that shop today to sell another pair of Grados the sr-225i and the 325's possibly. I happened to sit down at a laptop that I was recently given by a family member, plugged them in, streamed music from Amazon...and I couldn't believe it.

I would pay double for this kind of sound. I am definitely not selling these now. They sound better on this laptop than the day I first heard them at the shop. The PSB don't sound nearly as good as these. This is better sound imo than anything I heard in that shop that day including either of the EL-8's. In fact this is what I was expecting and hoping the EL-8's would sound like, but they weren't quite as crystal clear and energetic and mid-centric as the Grados. To be fair though I did only get to compare the 325e and the EL-8 against each other with my Galaxy smartphone as a source. The 325e won that contest but now hearing them on just the simple DAC from this computer they're even better.

I'm finally hearing what people have been talking about all this time with soundstage and separation and imaging. Amazing.

I'm sure there are better sounding set ups out there but for this it great for now.

I prefer open back cans and I feel like the sound I'm getting from the 325e on this Toshiba laptop, streaming Amazon Music Player (huge gain in sound quality over Spotify and Google play files imo) is something I can't get from my closed back cans even with this $300 amp, which sounds amazing hooked up to an iPad.
PSB to Sony PHA-1A to iPad w/ Amazon music w/ PSB integrated amp clicked on sounds amazing on most tracks.

But the open nature of the Grado with the soundstage and low end of the 325e with very nice separation and imaging all brought together by an infectious sound signature that just makes every track sound alive...is the best.

Wow I look forward to hearing one day something like the GS1000e on a good setup. If it beats this, it must, from what I've read, then that is really something.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #185 of 312
I have been going back and forth on these since I got them.

Got a delivery last week of two new items:
One was the Meze 99 Classics. I LOVE these 'phones, but that is really off topic.

The second item I received was an IFI Micro iCAN SE amplifier. Using it on +6db setting with minimal bass boost and minimal 3D surround makes the Grado's sound full and tight. Really liking them now, although I really hate that cable.

Not sure if I will keep them over the long haul. They will go toe to toe with the HD6XX 'phones in December and only one will remain. I might keep two closed phones but not two open sets.

Shane D

Oct 14, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #186 of 312
Owned my 325e's about 6 weeks now, bought them second hand and,are fully run in (I think!). Well, I have three sets of cans including hd600's and I always go to the 325's first, just find the sound totally engaging, comfort is spot on and build is great, although will be replacing jack plug as 3.5mm on that chunky cable isnt great, wrecking my phone socket.
Faults aside, I just love 'em.

Oct 14, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #187 of 312
Owned my 325e's about 6 weeks now, bought them second hand and,are fully run in (I think!). Well, I have three sets of cans including hd600's and I always go to the 325's first, just find the sound totally engaging, comfort is spot on and build is great, although will be replacing jack plug as 3.5mm on that chunky cable isnt great, wrecking my phone socket.
Faults aside, I just love 'em.

Just out of curiosity, how is it ruining the jack? I find the jack is unusable with my iPod Classic. It does not fill the hole and that extra space creates static. Weird. Works fine in my Sony NWZ A17.

Shane D

Oct 15, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #188 of 312
Hi Shane, the sheer weight and size of the cable iis gradually making the fitting of the socket loose and it looses contact with the plug making my phone go loopy. I use it now with a tail type adapter which seems to work.
Im not overly bothered as phone listening is only 5% of my listening, sound quality on my phone is very poor compared to my amp/dac set up.

Oct 15, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #189 of 312
That cable is just hateful. I wish it was detachable. I would replace it in a heartbeat.

Shane D

Oct 15, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #191 of 312
Agreed. I finally got my Oppo PM3'S (used) and have had them plugged into my amp for the past week. I LOVE the long cable for listening in the lazy boy. However, I can't shake the feeling that I miss the sound of the Grado's. To me that is strange as I was not a huge fan starting off. Between the headphones "breaking in", my ears getting used to them and being hooked up to my iFi Micro iCAN SE I was really starting to enjoy them.

Open headphones seem to be a plus/minus setup: they sound much more "open" than my PM3'S, but they offer no isolation at all and let in too much noise. It is NOT always quiet when I listen.

Maybe this is why we need to own multiple pairs?:o2smile:

Shane D

Oct 15, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #192 of 312
Open headphones seem to be a plus/minus setup: they sound much more "open" than my PM3'S, but they offer no isolation at all and let in too much noise. It is NOT always quiet when I listen.

Maybe this is why we need to own multiple pairs?:o2smile:

I do love open headphones.... I think my best ones my open ones really although I enjoy all my choices for different reasons. I never expected to like Grados but I love the 325e (the only ones I have heard actually). I do feel that cable somehow pulling on me though even when I am reclining with it attached to my portable amp that is on the coffee table to the side of the reclining sofa. I really need to get them out and listen later. I have been spending a lot of time recently using efficient headphones, IEM, and buds straight out of my daps. I wonder how the Grados would be my daps ...Opus#1, Cayin N3, xDuoo X3... even my Ruizu A50 is pretty powerful. I have not used the Grados yet with my tube amp which is now on the coffee table..only with my SMSL solid state desk amp and my portable Fiio E12A. I need more time or more ears or something.

When I am home alone I prefer open headphones or buds because I do want to hear if the phone or doorbell rings. If my husband is home and he wants to listen with headphones then often one of us will choose open and the other closed... or we just battle it out with both open... or become antisocial with both closed... lol. That is when time just seems to slip away...

Multiple pairs... yes, always an excuse to get another... but I am actually done now. Going to enjoy what I have. Even just having this conversation right now makes me realize how much I need to do that.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #193 of 312
The Grado's sound fine out of my Sony, but better out of the amp. After the HD6XX arrives I will have four pairs (5 if you count the old Bose, which I don't as they are only for traveling). By spring I am hoping to be down to two pairs.

I personally hate iems and find them very uncomfortable.

As others have said, you do have an amazing collection of audio toys. I would like to end up with two pairs of headphones, one DAP and one amp. Maybe a Fiio X7ii with the attached amp...

Shane D

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #194 of 312
I would like to end up with two pairs of headphones,

I just looked at my list and I think if I had to I could cut it in half... but I am not going to say which ones... mostly cheaper or less comfortable ones. I will always keep the Grados but might need to look into a cable mod.

I personally hate items and find them very uncomfortable.

I thought that and refused to even try them until a few months ago. Now I am finding out what styles and what tips are more comfortable for me. I am experimenting... none are expensive and I will not be adding more other than a couple that have not yet arrived. They range in price from £3 t0 £24. What I don't like is taking them out once I have a proper seal so I will never a-b the sound of them for anyone. I will say if I particularly like one of them. Still working on figuring out how to fit my buds. Certain ones want to fall out. I am amazed at the sound quality available now for buds and iems. I never feel like I am wearing an open headphone but many of them rival my best closed headphones. Like I said... I am really surprised. I probably never would have tried them had not my husband let me try some of his.

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #195 of 312
I just A/B'd the Grado's and the Oppo's on some of my favourite music, Florence and the Machine. The outcome is not good...I prefer the Grado's. Oh crap!

I will have to A/B the 99's. I pretty much know the answer already, unamped.

That is why I want to hang on to everything for the winter. Can't panic yet.

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back