The Official Grado 325e Owners Club!
Aug 5, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #166 of 312
Allow for sufficient burn-in and also stretch the headband out carefully to your desired clamping force.
4hrs is pretty long to withstand the factory clamping force...I could never have done this.

Aug 5, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #167 of 312
I will have to try stretching it. After almost two years, the B&W P5's still have a three to four hour maximum time limit and that has never changed. I do have a big bean.

It will interesting to see if burn-in makes any difference. I have always believed that was just your brain adjusting to change.

Shane D

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #168 of 312
I will have to try stretching it. After almost two years, the B&W P5's still have a three to four hour maximum time limit and that has never changed. I do have a big bean.

It will interesting to see if burn-in makes any difference. I have always believed that was just your brain adjusting to change.

Shane D
Just remember, you'll need to stretch it more than a few times to keep it where you're comfortable. Being it is spring steel, it will want to go back to its original form. I don't know how many hours of burn-in you have, but you'll notice the bass get tighter the mid-range/sound-stage open nicely and the treble calm as well afterwards. Enjoy!

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #169 of 312
I just stretched it a few times and will have to do it again tomorrow morning before my next listening session. So far it is just four hours of work.

Curious to try more bands tomorrow VS playlists.

Shane D

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #170 of 312
Just to follow on head clamping force...my B&W P5's never gave up a bit. At first I would clamp them on a table about two feet apart overnight. It made NO difference at all in the long run.

Shane D

Aug 6, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #172 of 312
Wow, that headband really gives it up. I stretched on it hard last night and it was still stretched this morning. I had to squeeze them tighter to stop them from falling off my head. Too big now.:)

Shane D

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #173 of 312
Another observation: These are my first pair of open phones. I had thought that open phones would bother your neighbours. My wife hears no sound when I play music. However I do hear everything as in her talking, TV, etc. They really do let in a lot of noise. Definitely no good for a noisy environment or as an "out and about" set of headphones.

Shane D

Aug 20, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #176 of 312
Using these as much as possible this weekend. I am Really liking the sound. They sound much more "open" than my other phones, which I guess is just common sense for open headphones.:)

The headband accepted the stretching right off the bat and is now super comfortable. Today I was using my NWZ A17 and switched on Clear Audio. Injected more bass and the phones were rocking for hours.

I only have about 20 hours in, but I can't help but feel that these were a great purchase!

Having said that, I still want the Oppo PM3'S next month.:ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Aug 20, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #177 of 312
They get better as you approach the 100 hour mark. Mine sounded decent at about 50 hours of use then got better after 100 hours. The mids come alive and the highs get tamed as well as more bass with the TTVJ deluxe pads, but at the expense of soundstage. I can't listen to mine with the stock bowl pads as they are too bright and they hurt my ear lobes after an hour. The flat pads are ok and more comfortable.

Aug 20, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #178 of 312
Wow, you have an incredible collection of audio goodies!

Just out of curiosity, what amp do you use with the Grado's? And do you use that same amp with the HD600's?

I am getting the Oppo PM3'S in the next few weeks and I have a set of HD6XX's coming in December. I need an amp that works with all three.

Thanks!

Shane D

Aug 20, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #179 of 312
I use the Grado with the Grace m9xx as it's a nice combination as it tends to have less energy on the highs. The m9xx has 4 filters you can select, which changes the sound signature in a small but noticeable way. I'm using filter 3, which has a nicer midrange to my ears. The Apogee Duet iOS is too bright a match with the Grado's in my experience. The Audio GD NFB 12 is very good and is what I use with the Sennheiser HD600 and is powerful enough to drive the 600 Ohm vintage AKG headphones (which are notorious for being almost impossible to drive).

Aug 20, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #180 of 312
I use the Grado with the Grace m9xx as it's a nice combination as it tends to have less energy on the highs. The m9xx has 4 filters you can select, which changes the sound signature in a small but noticeable way. I'm using filter 3, which has a nicer midrange to my ears. The Apogee Duet iOS is too bright a match with the Grado's in my experience. The Audio GD NFB 12 is very good and is what I use with the Sennheiser HD600 and is powerful enough to drive the 600 Ohm vintage AKG headphones (which are notorious for being almost impossible to drive).

Love my 325e's, although I frequently use a bit of eq to gently lower the upper mids and highs....so nice!

They are a little aggressive and sharp in the highs... even after full burn-in...but lowering the highs a little reduces this greatly, makes for a really nlce signature and superbly musical wth pop, rock and jazz....quite close to my GS1000i's in listening enjoyment (which is amazing considering they are only about 1/3 the price!). For me, addictive headphones.

Enjoy your 325e's...in my opinion they are absolutely among the B.O.G. - Best Of Grado!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back