The Official Grado 325e Owners Club!
Aug 23, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #136 of 312

I suspect the 325e is better acoustically with the aluminium cups, allowing some better depth. Plus it will have the advantage to me of not having to go across the Grado Mini-adaptor. 

At least for a brief test session I could tell that the 325e has a more refined sound than 80e and 125e. Unfortunately I was not able to test the 80e with L-cush for a cross comparison with 325e. Idk if in reality the metallic cups makes the difference to the sound of the 325e or the L-cush's does it.

Aug 24, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #137 of 312

At least for a brief test session I could tell that the 325e has a more refined sound than 80e and 125e. Unfortunately I was not able to test the 80e with L-cush for a cross comparison with 325e. Idk if in reality the metallic cups makes the difference to the sound of the 325e or the L-cush's does it.

Quite frankly I don't think it's attributable to one single factor, I would take all of the following into account:

1) Aluminum is more rigid than most plastics
2) Grado asserts that the drivers are more closely matched as you move up the line creating more coherence between the left and right drivers (less deviation in frequency response)
3) Changing pads (on any headphone) usually affects the sound in some way

Oct 4, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #141 of 312
Hey all, 

I'm a new member of the forum but long time passive head-fi reader. I have been slowly building my inventory of cans and equipment but just recently I bought a pair of Grado325e's and there was just something about them that clicked in me more so than with other headphones I own. I have really REALLY enjoyed these cans and they are quickly becoming one of my favorite all day listeners. 

I've found the sound to have a very particular signature and feeling to it. To me it brightens up many of my favorite songs and adds an element of FUN I don't get with my other headphones, which makes sense since my other headphones are for the most part reference class cans that are not necessarily meant to have a particular signature. That being said I love how crisp and fast these headphones are. I'm sure I'm still in the burn in phase given that I only have about 40 hours of listening time and yet the sounds is very refined and pleasurable. 

On the comfort side of things, I did find the original pads too hard and i didn't bother with the washing or softening techniques and instead I bought the HD414 pads which have not yet arrived, but when they do I will test out the sound changes if any. The headband fits great and very comfortably on my rather generic head, and the clamp force is good. I wish it was a little looser but I'm sure with time that may just give in and make it more comfortable for all day listening. I currently have them as my daily drivers at the office so I do get to wear them for long periods of time. 

The source and music: 
I'm driving these with my little Bravo Audio V2 tube amp which I got for work for looks more than sound quality since it's a great conversation starter, and feeding from a Shiit Fulla and using Tidal hifi audio files. 

Overall the setup is great. I have used them with my portable FiiO mont blanc amp and at home on a Valhalla 2 and they just don't disappoint. 

As far as songs... I love how well it images songs with many instruments and it delivers top notch soundstage. Daft Punk's "Fragments of time", Earth Wind and Fire's "Fantasy" and Michael Jackson's "Do you remember the time" are 3 songs I love to listen to on these headphones and simply enjoy the clarity and accuracy of the sound and recording details. I've even pushed the limits a little bit with songs like "Robots" from Kraftwerk which have that signature analog electronic sound that sounds amazing on my DT880's and yet once again the Grados deliver a very particular sound that almost makes it like I'm listening to a different version of the song. And that's worth noting for me because in my humble opinion, that's part of the pleasure of listening to music. 

Overall, these are great headphones. Deffintely sound like much more expensive cans in the $5/600 range for sure. I almost wish I could listen to a pair of RS2e's just to compare. particularly with the wood vs metal cup. But that will come later. All I know is that these headphones finally got me to want to comment and be a part of the Grado/headfi community. That or the fact I just saw all their videos and I'm now a big fan... Regardless the cans hold up to the competition and there is no hype to how good they really are. And just for that I would recommend them to anyone and everyone. 

Oct 4, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #143 of 312
Thanks for the link @GreenBow That actually makes sense and I was trying it as I was reading the thread and it does make a difference. The L-cush is really the only down-side to my experience with the Grados. I figured, from the reviews, that there would be a need to replace the cushions but I didn't think it would be so bad. I mean I have been wearing them daily for over a week now , but I still have to take them off regularly to rest. But I'm hoping the new pads will make a difference and the positional tips from the other thread are perfect. 

But like I mentioned, I would almost be willing to live with the L-cushions just for the sound. thankfully it's a relatively inexpensive solution that also allows for some minimal customization. Something I have not done with any of my other headphones. So that is cool enough. 

Nov 3, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #144 of 312
I agree that the SR325e is a great headphone and in my opinion the best 325 yet.

My take on the sound... listening through Mojo... is somewhat warm sounding, with nice weight and body,
excellent detail especially in the midrange...an addictive smoothness combined with precision of not only
detail but of image and soundstage. The highs are somewhat sharpened, on good recordings it adds clarity
and "spice/seasoning" which balances the smoothness.

Also the above qualities make it a great hp for low volume listening
.... however the sharpness may detract at normal or high levels... not sure about that.
The 325e's may also be the most economical
Grado that can really reveal the quality of a great dac/amp.....such as Mojo.

For me, the 325e's are a classic Grado and are very special... and make a great "travel-worthy"
addition to the GS1000i's... which stay at home.

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #145 of 312

I would like to reiterate that, for me what allows the SR325e to really sound great,
- aside from using a great dac/amp such as Mojo - is to eq the treble down...
converting the signature from an overly coloured one to very musical...I use
Captune to do this on Tidal streams...

with this setup the 325e really is to my taste great, keeping in mind I listen at fairly low volumes -
all three globes red on Mojo. 

I would go as far as to say that proper eq absolutely transforms this headphone.

Listening to more and more jazz (mostly post-bop and avant-garde jazz) but also refined rock and pop...and occasional progressive classical.

....love the Grado sig...even the SR80e straight out of iPhone can sound really involving and musical (w/out eq)!

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #146 of 312
I was wondering if anyone had any luck finding a hard or soft case that would fit the 325E's with the G cushions. I sprung for the official Grado case but they only fit with the L pads. Thanks!

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #147 of 312
New SR325e owner here!
Just purchased my first pair of Grado headphones from a fellow head-fi member. Thanks campj!
After listening to the SR225e from a co-worker, I had to get a pair of Grado headphones.
Looking forward to enjoying these headphones and modding them.
I have a Manta leather headband arriving in the mail.
Cable mod and pix soon to come!

I've tried looking for a DIY disassembly on the SR325e and did not find one.
Anyone have info on taking the cups apart? Or is it the same process with the plastic cups? 

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #148 of 312
Everyone here must try TTVJ deluxe flats on their SR-325e ,  the combination is incredible.     Deep and controlled bass , sparkling mids , controlled highs that compliment the lows .

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #149 of 312
  New SR325e owner here!
Just purchased my first pair of Grado headphones from a fellow head-fi member. Thanks campj!
After listening to the SR225e from a co-worker, I had to get a pair of Grado headphones.
Looking forward to enjoying these headphones and modding them.
I have a Manta leather headband arriving in the mail.
Cable mod and pix soon to come!

I've tried looking for a DIY disassembly on the SR325e and did not find one.
Anyone have info on taking the cups apart? Or is it the same process with the plastic cups? 

Why don't you just enjoy the HP before you rip it apart.    Try changing pads to the TTVJ deluxe flats , this makes the 325e sound incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back