The Official Grado 325e Owners Club!
Oct 15, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #196 of 312
I just A/B'd the Grado's and the Oppo's on some of my favourite music, Florence and the Machine. The outcome is not good...I prefer the Grado's. Oh crap!

I will have to A/B the 99's. I pretty much know the answer already, unamped.

That is why I want to hang on to everything for the winter. Can't panic yet.

Shane D

Just keep them all unless you end up hating one of them.

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #197 of 312
I will keep everything for the winter as they battle it out. I will NOT keep four to five headphones longterm. I know that I will end up preferring one or two and the rest will just collect dust. Might as well recycle that money into a better DAP, amp or perhaps even other headphones that I might prefer more. I think it is a never ending cycle.:o2smile:

Shane D

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #198 of 312
I love my 325e. They are my sitting in the house listening to metal go to pair. I have still got them with stock pads which I may change in the future.

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #199 of 312
I found them great for "noisy" music right off the bat. I am now enjoying them more with softer music and Jazz.

Shane D

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #200 of 312
I have tried them with jazz also. Awesome with some maiden voyage

Oct 28, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #202 of 312
There are probably better headphones for house music. I love these phones but would probably use my ultrasones for house music

Oct 28, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #203 of 312
I'm thinking about picking up a pair of SR325e's or some HD700's and here's my current situation. In the past I was able to borrow some RS1's (pre i) for about a month and they were fantastic but too much $. Later I picked up a pair of RS2i's and they bored me to tears so I got rid of them. I picked up some PS500's and they were good but too thick and syrupy sounding which ended up exhausting me when I listened so I got rid of them as well. I currently own some SR60's (pre i) that I regularly enjoy. I have 2 L-cush, 1 G-cush, TTVJ flat pads, and a pair of S-cush pads currently so I have plenty of options going forward for Grado's.

I my setup is Modi Multibit > Magni 2 Uber and I have the following headphones: SR60 (pre i), AKG K7XX, Audeze Sine, and in December I'll have some HD6XX. With my setup, which would be better to get for roughly the same price (SR325e vs Sennheiser HD700)? How would the 325e's compare to my current 60's, and maybe the others I listen to?

Oct 28, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #204 of 312
I also own a pair of SR60 (pre i) and the 325e (as well as the original SR80, SR125). The 325e has considerably more bass and clarity. Just try them with the TTVJ deluxe flat pads, the highs get tamed a bit. The 325e are decent with the inexpensive s-cush / comfy pads if you prefer more highs than the TTVJ pads offer. I never did enjoy the 325e with the stock L-cush pads as I found them too bright.

Oct 28, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #205 of 312
I also own a pair of SR60 (pre i) and the 325e (as well as the original SR80, SR125). The 325e has considerably more bass and clarity. Just try them with the TTVJ deluxe flat pads, the highs get tamed a bit. The 325e are decent with the inexpensive s-cush / comfy pads if you prefer more highs than the TTVJ pads offer. I never did enjoy the 325e with the stock L-cush pads as I found them too bright.

Thanks so much for the reply. I've found that on the SR60s I prefer the TTVJ pads and the L-cush backwards. The reversed bowls seem to give similar sound but a bit more soundstage and the flat pads are more in-your-face aggressive, I change them out depending on the type of music I'm listening to. The G-cush on these seemed to completely drain the midrange and just sound weird. I'm excited for the improved sound and higher material quality on the 325e's if I end up getting them.

Jan 23, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #206 of 312
College student and new member here. SR80e was my first pair of decent headphones. I gave myself $300 to upgrade recently and decided to go with he 400i and an smsl m6...really regretting it. I don't think the soundstage is any better than the 80s and they sound sooooo boring compared to the sr80e too. Wish I went with 325e so I could be one of you :frowning2:

Jan 23, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #207 of 312
College student and new member here. SR80e was my first pair of decent headphones. I gave myself $300 to upgrade recently and decided to go with he 400i and an smsl m6...really regretting it. I don't think the soundstage is any better than the 80s and they sound sooooo boring compared to the sr80e too. Wish I went with 325e so I could be one of you :frowning2:

Maybe you could arrange a trade... or sell the 400i and buy a used 325e

Jan 23, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #209 of 312
I'm hoping so, that's really the big reason I made an account here haha

Now that you are here do some reading in various threads. There may even be something you would rather have. One thing that I do not like about the 325e is the massively thick cable that is permanently attached. I know some people take it apart and recable it but I would never be confident to do that.

I hope you still have the SR80e..it is excellent.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #210 of 312
I was not crazy about the SR325e at first and still HATE the cable. They have really grown on me and I prefer them over my HD6XX's.
While they are open, they are not as open as the HD6XX's which let in All sound. I am liking them more and more. I am also seeing the benefit of open back VS closed back.

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back