The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 23, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #4,306 of 10,994
Quote:

I must disargee... I prefer HD800 over more "fun" headphones even for electronic, pop or black metal ,-) And there are several people who have the same opinion here, at least. It's all about how you want to hear your music, not about what the other people think!

The problem is that HD800 are too perfect for some people, especially those who listen to compressed or flawed recordings that have many artifacts or lacks dynamics/depth. It's the case with most of the modern music but for me, HD800 do not destroy recording that is at least good (including Taylor Swift, BTW!). I dont simply share the opinion that HD800 is not suitable for common music - at least my pair do not produce unbearable sibilance, harshness, or brightness if it is not in the recording (even Taylor Swift is completely alright!). As I said, even black metal is alright unless the recording is simply flawed... In that case, I don't really bother listening to it, as well as I never bothered with before when having LCD-2 on my head. There is nearly zero difference for me here.

I chose D7000 as my first high-end headphone because people kept talking how great they are for modern genres, including rock and metal... How wrong I was! Then, I went for LCD-2 because folks recommended those for modern genres as well, as the best choice (except for LCD-3). They were fine, definitely, but not the last word... Then, I stopped listening to those general advises about "which headphones is the best for this or that genre", read a lot of relatively objective reviews comparing the actual SOUND CHARACTERISTICS, and decided to try HD800. I have zero intentions to switch to any other dynamic full-size headphone now!

You seem rather unsure about what you should choose... I would advise to go for T1 therefore, it seems like a good mix of quality soundstage and versatile sound signature with a bit of "fun" within. A safe bet.

RustA - I totally agree with you. I went on long journey looking for headphones.. I must have gone through at least 20 pairs in the last 2 months! After I finally picked up a pair of HD800s I was nervous that I was going to find a lot of music I listen to to all of a sudden sound terrible on the HD800, but what I found was I liked everything I listened to (Same goes for the T1 ... I like them with most all music I try).  And I don't listen to the HD800 recommended genres either (Classical/Jazz). The first week I got the HD800, I kept commenting to a co-worker that I just can't find anything that sounds terrible on the HD800... based on all I read about them, I was very surprised that I liked them for everything.

What I really noticed is songs that didn't sound so good to my ears with the HD800 (some older Aerosmith stuff for example) didn't sound great on any headphone that I tried either.  I have yet to find anything to be un-listenable on them (I even tried dubstep girl's examples).

So now I am down to a HD800 that I use at work, and a T1 for home. I couldn't make up my mind what I liked best, so I kept them both.

May 23, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #4,308 of 10,994
Quote:
 I have yet to find anything to be un-listenable on them (I even tried dubstep girl's examples).  

Manierisme   -  In Dear Memories .   Many will find this un-listenable i think 
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #4,309 of 10,994
I am actually quite impressed with DT880, at their price they give a good run for their money against T1. Maybe because my pair is 600Ohm Manufaktur, and speculations are that Beyer might match drivers better on these, but I really liked them better than unmodded T1, as they sounded more neutral, with smother, less spiky treble, no kidding.
I still own both and not planning of getting rid of any yet, although it did cross my mind at some point and I even had DT880 for sale but after a couple of days of thorough A/B switching between them and T1 just couldn't let them go.
Stock to stock to my ears they are better than T1,  I know that might sound like a "blasphemy", but if you look outside this thread and site you'll find quite a camp of people sharing the same opinion.
cool.gif

May 23, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #4,310 of 10,994
Quote:
I am actually quite impressed with DT880, at their price they give a good run for their money against T1. Maybe because my pair is 600Ohm Manufaktur, and speculations are that Beyer might match drivers better on these, but I really liked them better than unmodded T1, as they sounded more neutral, with smother, less spiky treble, no kidding.
I still own both and not planning of getting rid of any yet, although it did cross my mind at some point and I even had DT880 for sale but after a couple of days of thorough A/B switching between them and T1 just couldn't let them go.
Stock to stock to my ears they are better than T1,  I know that might sound like a "blasphemy", but if you look outside this thread and site you'll find quite a camp of people sharing the same opinion.
cool.gif

Drivers on 600ohm version are better controlled... Look at measurements from innerfidelity, it's quite easy to spot. Therefore people should as well mention which version they have when talking about DT880.

May 23, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #4,311 of 10,994
Quote:

Drivers on 600ohm version are better controlled... Look at measurements from innerfidelity, it's quite easy to spot. Therefore people should as well mention which version they have when talking about DT880.

For the record, mine were both 250 and 600 ohm. And slightly better matching doesn't really mean much IMO as the 250 and 600 ohms sounded very similar too. The T1s were head above shoulders better to my ears.

May 23, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #4,312 of 10,994
Quote:
cool.gif

So you think the DT880s are a better headphone, yet the T1s are a nice step up from the 880s? 
blink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/508836/the-official-beyerdynamic-t1-owners-club-appreciation-discussion-thread/4095#post_9399625

May 23, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #4,313 of 10,994
Quote:
So you think the DT880s are a better headphone, yet the T1s are a nice step up from the 880s? 
blink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/508836/the-official-beyerdynamic-t1-owners-club-appreciation-discussion-thread/4095#post_9399625

Yes, that the conclusion I finally came to after a couple of weeks of extensive auditioning of two. We all tend to overreact during honey moon with the new phones so initial impressions should always be taken with a grain of salt.
On a quick listen they do sound more exciting and aggressive than DT880, yet in a long run cause listening fatigue. DT880 on the other hand give more laid back, relaxed presentation that feels truer to life and more comfortable to my ears, again it's a matter of personal preferences and some can definitely find them plain boring. But the bottom line, if not the mod I wouldn't have T1 anymore.

May 23, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #4,314 of 10,994
Quote:

the AKG sounds nothing like HD 800, completely different. the T1 has funner bass than the HD 800, its less powerful than the LCD-2, has a bit more sub-bass decay (the sub-bass also is slightly boosted, so its a bit more than HD 800, but the T1 has less punch and slam/impact, the bass is very fun on the T1 and of good quality, its not as clean as the HD 800 or as extended as the LCD-2's though.

LCD-2 is best for mainstream, the HD 800 often will sound thin/bright on alot of recordings. half of the mainstream are ok, but brickwalled/compressed stuff sounds terrible. for example, macklemore, bruno mars, rihanna, justin timberlake all sound ok on hd 800, but icona pop and imagine dragons are unlistenable. demi lovato, taylor swift, selena gomez, these are borderline unlistenable, some tracks are ok, some are just way too loud and compressed. i prefer T1/WA2 over LCD-2  for most mainstream, i hear more detail and air, theres slightly less bass but its still great, and its more forgiving than HD 800. 

its been done many times, ive been pm'd tons of times on this as well.

I feel there is a strong case for both the bright, transparent German sound and the fuller, warmer sound of the Californian cans (funny how these headphones kinda reflect the personality of the respective country of origin: Germans are known for their engineering precision, analytical power; Americans for their easy-going warmth). I feel that the LCDs paired with a good amp sounds more forging to low bit rate MP3 tracks than the T1. With the Beyer, I could hear a significant difference between lossless 1.4Mbs tracks and a 256Kbs tracks from iTunes. High bit-rate rock music, electronic tracks, and of course classical compositions sounds better on T1. Low bit-rate Led Zeppelin sounds awful on T1, screechy, grainy, daggers-to-the-ears kind of experience. Bad for your hearing health. On LCD it sounds muddy & recessed but the Audeze takes out most of its digital edginess. 

Anybody has similar opinions? Or my ears are built differently, LOL

May 23, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #4,315 of 10,994
Quote:
RustA - I totally agree with you. I went on long journey looking for headphones.. I must have gone through at least 20 pairs in the last 2 months! After I finally picked up a pair of HD800s I was nervous that I was going to find a lot of music I listen to to all of a sudden sound terrible on the HD800, but what I found was I liked everything I listened to (Same goes for the T1 ... I like them with most all music I try).  And I don't listen to the HD800 recommended genres either (Classical/Jazz). The first week I got the HD800, I kept commenting to a co-worker that I just can't find anything that sounds terrible on the HD800... based on all I read about them, I was very surprised that I liked them for everything.

What I really noticed is songs that didn't sound so good to my ears with the HD800 (some older Aerosmith stuff for example) didn't sound great on any headphone that I tried either.  I have yet to find anything to be un-listenable on them (I even tried dubstep girl's examples).

So now I am down to a HD800 that I use at work, and a T1 for home. I couldn't make up my mind what I liked best, so I kept them both.

you didn't find radioactive - imagine dragons or the i love it- icona pop unlistenable on hd 800? what about something like Champagne showers by LMAO (ft. Natalia Kills),  what about play hard by krewella? i can think of alot of songs which are way too bright and loud/compressed for me to listen on hd 800. some of them are super fatiguing, maybe some of them aren't necessarily unlistenable, but just sound like absolute garbage and the hd 800 makes them sound worse than listening to them out of a more forgiving headphone, even really cheap ones, just because the hd 800 will make them sound very thin and harsh.

some older rock songs are also pretty bad, and alot of modern alternative rock sounds absolutely terrible on hd 800s, its more tolerable on the T1,  

May 23, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #4,316 of 10,994
Quote:
Anybody has similar opinions? Or my ears are built differently, LOL

totally agree, also the HD 650 is even more forgiving than LCD-2, sometimes i feel like rebuying them, they where the best headphone for listening to low bitrate mp3s, youtube videos, etc.

i find the T1 to be unlistenable with some music as well, but the hd 800 is worse because their midrange is also less forgiving than the T1's slightly warm mids. interestingly, most of the time with the WA2, i can handle most poor recordings with the T1, though some still sound pretty bad. 

May 23, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #4,318 of 10,994
Quote:

you didn't find radioactive - imagine dragons or the i love it- icona pop unlistenable on hd 800? what about something like Champagne showers by LMAO (ft. Natalia Kills),  what about play hard by krewella? i can think of alot of songs which are way too bright and loud/compressed for me to listen on hd 800. some of them are super fatiguing, maybe some of them aren't necessarily unlistenable, but just sound like absolute garbage and the hd 800 makes them sound worse than listening to them out of a more forgiving headphone, even really cheap ones, just because the hd 800 will make them sound very thin and harsh.

some older rock songs are also pretty bad, and alot of modern alternative rock sounds absolutely terrible on hd 800s, its more tolerable on the T1,  

Ok, maybe Play hard is unlistenable...
basshead.gif
  I don't tend to listen to music of this type, so maybe I don't come across as many of these examples as you do...

I can hear the compression/distortion in some of the examples (radioactive for sure) But I don't necessarily think it sounds better on any other headphone I own. I wouldn't call the song unlistenable. I guess my problem is I no longer own any cheap headphones to compare against (I am down to the HD700/HD800/T1/T5p)

I wonder how some of these songs get released out to the public sounding so bad? Makes me think the sound engineer was either drunk or on drugs at the time....  Even then I can't imagine that the artist would be happy with what they ended up with.

May 23, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #4,319 of 10,994
Quote:
Ok, maybe Play hard is unlistenable...
basshead.gif
  I don't tend to listen to music of this type, so maybe I don't come across as many of these examples as you do...

I can hear the compression/distortion in some of the examples (radioactive for sure) But I don't necessarily think it sounds better on any other headphone I own. I wouldn't call the song unlistenable. I guess my problem is I no longer own any cheap headphones to compare against (I am down to the HD700/HD800/T1/T5p)

lol, i come across alot of examples that are bad, but a lot that i'm surprised are actually good as well. some mainstream artists like rihanna also have generally good recordings (not audiophile quality  but pretty good), others like nicki minaj, are really bad (try checking out super bass, starships, pound the alarm, and take it to the head on hd 800). check out kelly clarkson's stronger and hello, those are pretty bad on hd 800 as well but not unlistenable, though stuff like that can get fatiguing.

i do feel that its also a problem for me that i don't have any cheap headphones left either! 

and i really do feel like sometimes people who release these songs almost expect us to listen to these over the radio, off crappy headphones and pc speakers, or in the car, cause they sometimes sound better on them than on more revealing systems.

May 24, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #4,320 of 10,994
For mainstream I do find Alicia Keys and Beyonce to be quite good. Skylar Grey as well when she gets serious. Adele is already well known. 

Was looking for Key's new album but my local BB didn't have any in stock. I thought it would match well with my Z10 :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back