The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 26, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #4,338 of 10,994
May 26, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #4,340 of 10,994
Quote:

Can you recommend a type? I just did a search on amazon. How do you actually measure the impedance of the headphones? Any dismantling is required?

Hum one that have "continuity check" , don't need a profesionnal tool .

With the jack 6.35 connector (jack and cable impedence are negligeable in comparison to driver impedance )

May 26, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #4,341 of 10,994
Quote:

Can you recommend a type? I just did a search on amazon. How do you actually measure the impedance of the headphones? Any dismantling is required?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_%28audio%29

• Sleeve: usually ground
  • Ring: Right-hand channel for stereo signals, negative polarity for balanced mono signals, power supply for power-using mono signal sources
  • Tip: Left-hand channel for stereo signals, positive polarity for balanced mono signals, signal line for unbalanced mono signals
  • Insulating rings

May 26, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #4,342 of 10,994

I suggest getting a fluke brand meter for more accurate measurements. However, they are expensive but I think they are worth it if you plan you use them on other applications 
wink.gif

I have a 8xxx T1 which have 598ohms and 615ohms as driver impedance :) not sure how these are measure against other T1's

May 26, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #4,343 of 10,994
Quote:
I suggest getting a fluke brand meter for more accurate measurements. However, they are expensive but I think they are worth it if you plan you use them on other applications 
wink.gif

I have a 8xxx T1 which have 598ohms and 615ohms as driver impedance
smily_headphones1.gif
not sure how these are measure against other T1's

605/578 here, but check this out -  Manufaktur DT880 is 608/608 (no wonder they sound better to me).
I am not sure what to say, charging that amount for the flagship and not being able to do simple drivers matching, and btw, did they forget to put dampening material in, surely sounds tons better with one.
mad.gif

And for the record, HD800 316.4/316.4, crap.

May 26, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #4,345 of 10,994
Quote:
sounds tonnes better to you.  Unless you were there helping them voice their headphones What are you complaining about?  Unless I missed the -objective- definition of "sounds tons better" being annonuced, of course...

I am very happy that T1 work for you as is, you must be lucky one to get a good pair or have higher distortion tolerance.
I for once suffered from freaking treble ringing that rendered them pretty much unlistenable for me.
These are quite a few threads discussing the problem and possible solution. )

Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 dampening mod
[GUIDE] How To Properly Dampen Your Beyerdynamic T1
ADE tuned Beyerdynamic T1

For the record DT880 do feature dampening material in cups, thus sound quite smoother out of the box and measure quite better as well if you care for this (check innerfidelity)

May 26, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #4,346 of 10,994
None of those threads discuss any kind of ringing that makes them unlistenable... sounds like you just don't like the presentation of the T1.  Which is fine, but it doesn't make them a bad headphone.  I don't like the presentation of the LCD2...  If I went around telling people that they're bad I'd probably get lynch-mobbed off this site.

May 26, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #4,347 of 10,994
Quote:
605/578 here, but check this out -  Manufaktur DT880 is 608/608 (no wonder they sound better to me).
I am not sure what to say, charging that amount for the flagship and not being able to do simple drivers matching, and btw, did they forget to put dampening material in, surely sounds tons better with one.
mad.gif

And for the record, HD800 316.4/316.4, crap.

I have some newer T1s (about 2 weeks old)... serial 11554.

Mine measure 561/562. Maybe QC is getting better? Anyway, to my ears the T1s sound fantastic.

My HD800s measure 312/312

May 26, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #4,348 of 10,994
Quote:
None of those threads discuss any kind of ringing that makes them unlistenable... sounds like you just don't like the presentation of the T1.  Which is fine, but it doesn't make them a bad headphone.  I don't like the presentation of the LCD2...  If I went around telling people that they're bad I'd probably get lynch-mobbed off this site.

Just to make it clear, I very much like them after applying dampening. In stock form they where (after some extended listening and comparison) just worse version of my Manufaktur DT880.
For the record I have 59XX serial.
And btw, I did have my share of problems of severely mismatched non tesla drivers with Beyer, DT770 600Ohm for instance was replaced three times.

And why is that a problem with bringing up your likings or dislikings about particular phones, I couldn't live with LCD-2 either, too uncomfortable and wooly to my taste.

May 26, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #4,349 of 10,994
I just got these and noticing some buzzing in some tracks, especially tracks from album in the "indie" category and probably less well taken care of. Would it be that these headphones are sensitive to recording flaws? I'm hearing things I haven't heard with my AD900, K702...

Also, this is my first experience of any Beyer headphones, so they sound a bit bright to me, but probably will get used to... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back