The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 23, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #4,276 of 10,994
Quote:
I second that, a T1 vs HD 800 vs LCD2 would be awesome.

There are plenty of those, just search.
My take on that as I owned all three.
LCD-2.2 have drastically different sound signature from two others and based on that alone can be a winner choice for many. They are the only one out of the three I got rid of, mostly because of the comfort issues but if Audeze ever address ergonomic, will definitely buy them again.
T1 and HD800 have not exact but quite similar signature thus IMO are more comparable, with HD800 arguably superior on technicalities like soundstage, more natural, efortless presentation, and resolution, wish they were as robust as T1 though.
If you ever heard HD650 you have pretty good idea on what LCD-2.2 sound like.
T1 is just spiced up DT880, sometimes I find DT880 sound more natural but other than that they are extremely close.
HD800, I honestly haven't heard anything sounding similar in mid-fi range, the closest that come to mind is W5000 but it's a flagship on its own and have very specific coloration not everyone is fan of (I for once love it)

May 23, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #4,277 of 10,994
Quote:
LCD-2.2 have drastically different sound signature from two others and based on that alone can be a winner choice for many. They are the only one out of the three I got rid of, mostly because of the comfort issues but if Audeze ever address ergonomic, will definitely buy them again.
T1 and HD800 have not exact but quite similar signature thus IMO are more comparable, with HD800 arguably superior on technicalities like soundstage, more natural, efortless presentation, and resolution, wish they were as robust as T1 though.
T1 is just spiced up DT880, sometimes I find DT880 sound more natural but other than that they are extremely close.
HD800, I honestly haven't heard anything sounding similar in mid-fi range, the closest that come to mind is W5000 but it's a flagship on its own and have very specific coloration not everyone is fan of (I for once love it)

Yes, this is a general consensus that is possible to find across head-fi...

May 23, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #4,278 of 10,994
Quote:

I just want to say that my impressions of the T1 vs HD800 mirror Andrew's to the letter. HD800 is the clear winner at the end of the day.

May 23, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #4,279 of 10,994
i just got upgrade's for my woo audio wa2 - 5998's, 7308's and RFT EZ80's. Beyerdynamic T1 here i come! Someone should loan me money so i can get them now 
wink.gif

May 23, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #4,280 of 10,994
Quote:

Thanks, I'm planning on getting a pair of headphones, and I've basically narrowed my choices down to those three. Some reviews claim that the Q701 sounds similar to the HD 800, though the HD 800 is by far the technically superior headphone, and outperforms the AKG in most departments. What are your thoughts on that?

How does the bass of the T1 compare with the HD 800 and LCDs?

And since you've heard all three, which in your opinion, is best suited for mainstream music? Ie those on Billboard top 100. 

Thanks in advance!

May 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #4,281 of 10,994
Quote:
Thanks, I'm planning on getting a pair of headphones, and I've basically narrowed my choices down to those three. Some reviews claim that the Q701 sounds similar to the HD 800, though the HD 800 is by far the technically superior headphone, and outperforms the AKG in most departments. What are your thoughts on that?

And since you've heard all three, which in your opinion, is best suited for mainstream music? Ie those on Billboard top 100. 

Thanks in advance!

Everyone's idea of better suited presentation is different. HD800 will give you more realistic presentation, a little bright but still closer to the real thing.
And T1, Graphisism nailed it in this post
Quote:
You're probably right. I didn't like the T1 when I spent a couple hours with it a few months back, the sound seemed artificial in comparison to the DT880 which is my neutral. Personally I found the T1 to be closer to a theatrical or cinematic presentation than an accurate one, dare I say a fun-colored phone compared to a boring-neutral phone like the DT880.

Which might not be a bad thing as one may find that "theatrical" presentation more fun and better suited to individual taste. Another thing to keep in mind that T1 seems to less system sensitive than HD800, and could be a safer bet for lesser setups, don't expect to drive their 600 Ohm out of the portable though
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #4,282 of 10,994
Quote:
Everyone's idea of better suited presentation is different. HD800 will give you more realistic presentation, a little bright but still closer to the real thing.

This... Except for that the perceived level of brightness depends on output impedance of your amplifer (the higher impedance, the more significant bass, the more smooth presentation with HD800), overall quality of your system (since HD800 is very revealing) and on quality of your music.

People always mention that HD800 can sound a bit bright with music that is already on the bright side primarily... That said, they forgot to mention that HD800 is greatly consistent in a way that, on the other hand, you only perceive warm music as a bit on the warmer side... You simply never get an impression that "oh, HD800 do not seem to have the right tonality for this kind of music" (unless you are an obvious basshead) ,-) With LCD-2, only particular genres or subgenres sound great... They are simply not neutral.

May 23, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #4,283 of 10,994
Quote:

Thanks in advance!

the AKG sounds nothing like HD 800, completely different. the T1 has funner bass than the HD 800, its less powerful than the LCD-2, has a bit more sub-bass decay (the sub-bass also is slightly boosted, so its a bit more than HD 800, but the T1 has less punch and slam/impact, the bass is very fun on the T1 and of good quality, its not as clean as the HD 800 or as extended as the LCD-2's though.

LCD-2 is best for mainstream, the HD 800 often will sound thin/bright on alot of recordings. half of the mainstream are ok, but brickwalled/compressed stuff sounds terrible. for example, macklemore, bruno mars, rihanna, justin timberlake all sound ok on hd 800, but icona pop and imagine dragons are unlistenable. demi lovato, taylor swift, selena gomez, these are borderline unlistenable, some tracks are ok, some are just way too loud and compressed. i prefer T1/WA2 over LCD-2  for most mainstream, i hear more detail and air, theres slightly less bass but its still great, and its more forgiving than HD 800. 
I second that, a T1 vs HD 800 vs LCD2 would be awesome.

its been done many times, ive been pm'd tons of times on this as well.

May 23, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #4,284 of 10,994
Quote:
And T1, Graphisism nailed it in this post
Which might not be a bad thing as one may find that "theatrical" presentation more fun and better suited to individual taste. Another thing to keep in mind that T1 seems to less system sensitive than HD800, and could be a safer bet for lesser setups, don't expect to drive their 600 Ohm out of the portable though
biggrin.gif

i find the T1 to be more natural rather than artificial sounding. the hd 800 can sound more artificial due to the soundstage, sometimes it just spreads things out way too much. neither hd 800 or t1 are perfect at conveying a sense of realism.

May 23, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #4,285 of 10,994
Quote:

the AKG sounds nothing like HD 800, completely different. the T1 has funner bass than the HD 800, its less powerful than the LCD-2, has a bit more sub-bass decay (the sub-bass also is slightly boosted, so its a bit more than HD 800, but the T1 has less punch and slam/impact, the bass is very fun on the T1 and of good quality, its not as clean as the HD 800 or as extended as the LCD-2's though.

LCD-2 is best for mainstream, the HD 800 often will sound thin/bright on alot of recordings. half of the mainstream are ok, but brickwalled/compressed stuff sounds terrible. for example, macklemore, bruno mars, rihanna, justin timberlake all sound ok on hd 800, but icona pop and imagine dragons are unlistenable. demi lovato, taylor swift, selena gomez, these are borderline unlistenable, some tracks are ok, some are just way too loud and compressed. i prefer T1/WA2 over LCD-2  for most mainstream, i hear more detail and air, theres slightly less bass but its still great, and its more forgiving than HD 800. 

its been done many times, ive been pm'd tons of times on this as well.

That's really informative, thanks a ton, dubstep!

I'm pleased to hear that the T1 excels with mainstream music, being that those are pretty much the kind of music i favor. I occasionally venture into genres like electronic, dance, trance and techno, thus i reckon I can benefit from the 'fun' bass that the T1 offers. From what i gather, the HD 800 appears to be suited towards classical and opera music, and unfortunately there aren't many of those in my music library.  Also, what do you mean by brickwalled/compressed stuff? 

May 23, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #4,286 of 10,994
Quote:

I'm pleased to hear that the T1 excels with mainstream music, being that those are pretty much the kind of music i favor. I occasionally venture into genres like electronic, dance, trance and techno, thus i reckon I can benefit from the 'fun' bass that the T1 offers. From what i gather, the HD 800 appears to be suited towards classical and opera music, and unfortunately there aren't many of those in my music library.  Also, what do you mean by brickwalled/compressed stuff? 

I must disargee... I prefer HD800 over more "fun" headphones even for electronic, pop or black metal ,-) And there are several people who have the same opinion here, at least. It's all about how you want to hear your music, not about what the other people think!

The problem is that HD800 are too perfect for some people, especially those who listen to compressed or flawed recordings that have many artifacts or lacks dynamics/depth. It's the case with most of the modern music but for me, HD800 do not destroy recording that is at least good (including Taylor Swift, BTW!). I dont simply share the opinion that HD800 is not suitable for common music - at least my pair do not produce unbearable sibilance, harshness, or brightness if it is not in the recording (even Taylor Swift is completely alright!). As I said, even black metal is alright unless the recording is simply flawed... In that case, I don't really bother listening to it, as well as I never bothered with before when having LCD-2 on my head. There is nearly zero difference for me here.

I chose D7000 as my first high-end headphone because people kept talking how great they are for modern genres, including rock and metal... How wrong I was! Then, I went for LCD-2 because folks recommended those for modern genres as well, as the best choice (except for LCD-3). They were fine, definitely, but not the last word... Then, I stopped listening to those general advises about "which headphones is the best for this or that genre", read a lot of relatively objective reviews comparing the actual SOUND CHARACTERISTICS, and decided to try HD800. I have zero intentions to switch to any other dynamic full-size headphone now!

You seem rather unsure about what you should choose... I would advise to go for T1 therefore, it seems like a good mix of quality soundstage and versatile sound signature with a bit of "fun" within. A safe bet.

May 23, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #4,287 of 10,994
Quote:

I can't agree here completely as I don't listen to these a lot and still prefer HD800 by quite a margin, to my ears everything just sounds clearer, more transparent, and effortless out of Senns.

May 23, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #4,288 of 10,994
Quote:

I must disargee... I prefer HD800 over more "fun" headphones even for electronic, pop or black metal ,-) And there are several people who have the same opinion here, at least. It's all about how you want to hear your music, not about what the other people think!

The problem is that HD800 are too perfect for some people, especially those who listen to compressed or flawed recordings that have many artifacts or lacks dynamics/depth. It's the case with most of the modern music but for me, HD800 do not destroy recording that is at least good (including Taylor Swift, BTW!). I dont simply share the opinion that HD800 is not suitable for common music - at least my pair do not produce unbearable sibilance, harshness, or brightness if it is not in the recording (even Taylor Swift is completely alright!). As I said, even black metal is alright unless the recording is simply flawed... In that case, I don't really bother listening to it, as well as I never bothered with before when having LCD-2 on my head. There is nearly zero difference for me here.

I chose D7000 as my first high-end headphone because people kept talking how great they are for modern genres, including rock and metal... How wrong I was! Then, I went for LCD-2 because folks recommended those for modern genres as well, as the best choice (except for LCD-3). They were fine, definitely, but not the last word... Then, I stopped listening to those general advises about "which headphones is the best for this or that genre", read a lot of relatively objective reviews comparing the actual SOUND CHARACTERISTICS, and decided to try HD800. I have zero intentions to switch to any other dynamic full-size headphone now!

You seem rather unsure about what you should choose... I would advise to go for T1 therefore, it seems like a good mix of quality soundstage and versatile sound signature with a bit of "fun" within. A safe bet.

you just said you don't find the hd 800 to be harsh/bright/or sibiliant even on most modern music, but then you said only if the recording is flawed. well, i think you disagreed with me, but you ended up saying the same thing i said, but with different words.

Quote:

hd 800 does great with rock, acoustic, and most things, it does good with pop/hiphop and most mainstream, but for every 6 songs that sound good on it, theres 4 that will sound absolutely terrible on the hd 800s, its just way too unforgiving.

May 23, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #4,289 of 10,994
Quote:

you just said you don't find the hd 800 to be harsh/bright/or sibiliant even on most modern music, but then you said only if the recording is flawed. well, i think you disagreed with me, but you ended up saying the same thing i said, but with different words.

What I've said is that when the track is seriously flawed, it does not matter (at least to my ears) if I listen to it with LCD-2 or HD800... I dont like it on both and therefore dont bother.

That said, this is a case only with certain albums that are extremely compressed or flawed in other way...

May 23, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #4,290 of 10,994

Thanks for your feedback once again rusta, you've been really helpful when I've asked for your opinion in other threads.

I've narrowed my choices down to those 3, and I've decided to get the t1 for the following reasons. I ruled out the HD 800 because its a little over my budget even for a used pair. And like you've pointed out before, the LCD, though boasting outstanding sonic qualities, falls short in terms of comfort and ergonomics. The build quality of the t1 is superb, and it's relatively light compared to the LCDs. I've read several reviews and most if not all praised the t1 for comfort and sonics. The only drawback in terms of ergonomic IMO is the non removable cable. But that shouldn't be much of an issue unless it breaks and I'm not also into custom cables.

That said, I can't wait to listen to Taylor swift whine about her exes and break ups with the t1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back