The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 18, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #3,661 of 10,994
Good afternoon,

I'm fairly new to this community but been reading over the past 2 years for insight into this future hobby. My old pair of Beyer DT-770/80's plugged into my laptop using foobar as my player is as hifi as it gets for this guy; seriously!!!

But now that I can afford it, I'm set on getting either a tube or solid state amp to pair with the T1's as my first headfi station. After all the research done through countless threads, I narrowed it down to a few choices.

For solid state:
1. B22
2. SPL Auditor
3. V181
4. Concerto or Jazz

Tube amps:
1. DNA Sonett 2
2. CSP2+

For my music preferences of Jazz Fusion (Herbie Hancock; Head Hunters; Chick Corea; Miles Davis), 70's Funk and Soul (Marvin Gaye; O'Jays; Parliament) what would be your top choice out of these amps to pair with the T1's for these genre's? Any recommendations will help?

Thanks in advance!

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #3,662 of 10,994
Good afternoon,

I'm fairly new to this community but been reading over the past 2 years for insight into this future hobby. My old pair of Beyer DT-770/80's plugged into my laptop using foobar as my player is as hifi as it gets for this guy; seriously!!!

But now that I can afford it, I'm set on getting either a tube or solid state amp to pair with the T1's as my first headfi station. After all the research done through countless threads, I narrowed it down to a few choices.

For solid state:
1. B22
2. SPL Auditor
3. V181
4. Concerto or Jazz

Tube amps:
1. DNA Sonett 2
2. CSP2+

For my music preferences of Jazz Fusion (Herbie Hancock; Head Hunters; Chick Corea; Miles Davis), 70's Funk and Soul (Marvin Gaye; O'Jays; Parliament) what would be your top choice out of these amps to pair with the T1's for these genre's? Any recommendations will help?

Thanks in advance!

I'd say go with a solid state. I have a wa6se which is a tube amp and I cannot find a good pairing for the t1's as far as tubes go.
I have my HP-P1 and the t1's sound incredible run through it. I think the impedance has something to do with it because I ran into the same problem with the hd 800's. and I'm sure the HE 6's are the same way.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #3,663 of 10,994
Quote:
I'd say go with a solid state. I have a wa6se which is a tube amp and I cannot find a good pairing for the t1's as far as tubes go.
I have my HP-P1 and the t1's sound incredible run through it. I think the impedance has something to do with it because I ran into the same problem with the hd 800's. and I'm sure the HE 6's are the same way.

The CSP2 is a match made in heaven with the T1/  The tubes are 6922 or 6dj8 all single ended triode that makes those T1 shine. I lived with that combo for well over 2 years when I had the T1. Decware amps are  pure magic and have lifetoime warranty.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #3,664 of 10,994
Quote:
Good afternoon,

For solid state:
1. B22
2. SPL Auditor
3. V181
4. Concerto or Jazz

Tube amps:
1. DNA Sonett 2
2. CSP2+

Thanks in advance!

Maybe add Bursons amp too to your list. It's a good pairing

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #3,666 of 10,994
woo audio 2 
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #3,667 of 10,994
I heard great things about these amps with the T1...including the WA2. Recommendations help with narrowing down the list, but ultimately I know the fate of this hobby; it may take a while to settle with the equipment that suits my taste overall.

Thanks for all the responses...

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #3,670 of 10,994
Quote:
As of today, new T1 owner here.  Sounds wonderful.  It seems well served by my Lyr.  Now please excuse me while I catch up on 245 pages of this thread while listening to my new toy!

Welcome! The T1 is the best high end headphone I've heard so far. I'll give the HD800 another chance some day though, the last time I did they still sucked, despite being paired with a $1700 DAC...I've been getting more used to elevated treble now, so next time it should be better.

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #3,671 of 10,994
Got my T1 with Burson Audio DA-160 and Woo Audio Wa2 coupe of days back. Didn't get much time to play with it much. Played a couple of FLACs and was totally amazed. Listened to Radiohead OK Computer!. I can tell you I heard things I hadn't heard before and the whole album sounded just so much more wonderful.

The equipment is still going through its break in period. 

I had just one technical question. The Burson Audio DA-160 has a High and Low Gain option. If I keep it at Low Gain I have to crank up the Wa2 amp beyond half the dial. Is it fine to run T1 on High Gain? Sorry for being noobish. 

So far Im loving it. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #3,673 of 10,994
You guys are really convincing me that I need to consider a higher end amp to pair with my T1s....my current amp, a Meier Jazz, is no slouch....but I'm definitely curious! I've always wanted to send Dr.P at Mapletree Audio Design some more money since I had an unbelievably good experience with his gear last time....but that Woo Audio gear sure is purdy!!

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #3,674 of 10,994
Every T1 owner owes it to themselves to try an OTL amp at least once, in my opinion. It's a shame that meets, while great opportunities, aren't ideal for this. This isn't an instant, gratuitous WOW combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back