The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 21, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #3,676 of 10,994
Hi, I am planning to get a used T1. Before I start searching for it, could you please let me know if there were any revisions of the headphone or if early versions differ in sound from the later ones in any way? Thank you!

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #3,677 of 10,994
Quote:
Hi, I am planning to get a used T1. Before I start searching for it, could you please let me know if there were any revisions of the headphone or if early versions differ in sound from the later ones in any way? Thank you!

Beyer says the sonics due to build has not changed. Some users will differ. The headband got a different, softer, cushion after ~3000 units (estimate, some one might clarify). I would get the newer model just because of the headband. It's beautiful can!

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #3,678 of 10,994
Quote:
Beyer says the sonics due to build has not changed. Some users will differ. The headband got a different, softer, cushion after ~3000 units (estimate, some one might clarify). I would get the newer model just because of the headband. It's beautiful can!

Thanks for your answer!
Does anybody know from which S/N the newer model of headband was introduced?

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #3,679 of 10,994
Quote:
Thanks for your answer!
Does anybody know from which S/N the newer model of headband was introduced?

OK, got the answer directly from Beyerdynamic:
"in October 2010 starting with Serial No: 2600 the headband was changed.
All T1 with a higher No than 2600 have the „new” headband."

Is anybody aware of any other changes between models, especially sound-wise?

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #3,680 of 10,994
Not sure if this thread is still alive as I am mainly talking to myself:) But I will give it one more try with the following question.
Many people here praise T1 so much, but at the same time some people are saying these headphones are boring. I don't really get it. Are they too neutral, too balanced, too good?!:)

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #3,682 of 10,994
Quote:
Hey man, can you keep it down? Trying to sleep. And turn off that light if you don't mind. Thanks. 

I suggest that you turn off your eyes, it might help you fall asleep. 

To those who choose not to sleep, my question although might seem a bit provocative, is not really intended to be so. I am just considering making a purchase of T1 (as a complimentary headphone to my LCD-2.2). I am however not very familiar with this particular headphone and would like to get some honest advice. 

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #3,683 of 10,994
Quote:

To those who choose not to sleep, my question although might seem a bit provocative, is not really intended to be so. I am just considering making a purchase of T1 (as a complimentary headphone to my LCD-2.2). I am however not very familiar with this particular headphone and would like to get some honest advice. 

You'll hear differing opinions about every headphone known to man. Of the criticisms I've heard of the T1s, I don't recall hearing "boring" until you just mentioned it. I bought my pair after purchasing the 880/600ohm and just feeling as if they were missing something. That's not a knock on those headphones cause they have a very large following of happy users. But for me I wanted something a bit more, particularly in the mids, which I felt were a little recessed on the 880s. The T1s have hit the mark for me in that regard. I don't really find that they have one particular area where they are the "best" at something, which is okay because they do pretty much everything well. They are extremely comfortable over extended listening sessions, they have a nice, clean bottom end, and I feel both the imaging and sound stage are solid in accuracy and scope, respectively. On top of all that, they just look awesome :)

One thing you'll hear is that the really need a proper partner in terms of the amplification. There are reports that these phones will scale up with higher end amps, just as they are some pairings that yield less than satisfying results. In my situation I relied on my prior knowledge of Jan Meier (of Meier Audio in Germany) and his love for the T1s, so I went with one of his mid-range amps, the Corda Jazz. It's a great pairing that didn't break the bank and I've been very happy with it. Others have found their bliss with a Woo Audio amp, some have really liked the synergy with Burson, others have gone in different directions. 

So I'd try and arrange an audition if possible, and if they are to your liking - as they have been for many (many, many, many) of us, just choose the amp carefully and you'll be rewarded with many hours of sonic goodness.

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #3,684 of 10,994
Quote:

You'll hear differing opinions about every headphone known to man. Of the criticisms I've heard of the T1s, I don't recall hearing "boring" until you just mentioned it. I bought my pair after purchasing the 880/600ohm and just feeling as if they were missing something. That's not a knock on those headphones cause they have a very large following of happy users. But for me I wanted something a bit more, particularly in the mids, which I felt were a little recessed on the 880s. The T1s have hit the mark for me in that regard. I don't really find that they have one particular area where they are the "best" at something, which is okay because they do pretty much everything well. They are extremely comfortable over extended listening sessions, they have a nice, clean bottom end, and I feel both the imaging and sound stage are solid in accuracy and scope, respectively. On top of all that, they just look awesome :)

One thing you'll hear is that the really need a proper partner in terms of the amplification. There are reports that these phones will scale up with higher end amps, just as they are some pairings that yield less than satisfying results. In my situation I relied on my prior knowledge of Jan Meier (of Meier Audio in Germany) and his love for the T1s, so I went with one of his mid-range amps, the Corda Jazz. It's a great pairing that didn't break the bank and I've been very happy with it. Others have found their bliss with a Woo Audio amp, some have really liked the synergy with Burson, others have gone in different directions. 

So I'd try and arrange an audition if possible, and if they are to your liking - as they have been for many (many, many, many) of us, just choose the amp carefully and you'll be rewarded with many hours of sonic goodness.

Thank you for your answer.
I have encountered the 'boring' accusation two times today when I started reading about the headphone on the web. Maybe it was just bad luck or I was searching for weak points/critical opinions too much:)

I would be using T1 with my Schiit Lyr for the time being. Hopefully they would work together well, too. I will try to audition T1 with Lyr if I only have a chance.

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #3,685 of 10,994
Hi, i'm in SE London, UK and i'm thinking of selling mine, bought in August 2012, so PM if your interested i guess.

The T-1 are truly amazing headphones, in regards to boring, i never thought that, i found the fluid nature to be quite breathtaking in fact.
The Tesla technology has very low distortion, so someone with lack of better expression, or a penchant for an average consumer sound, i.e 'beats' may use this lazy description. Always best to audition to make up your own mind.

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #3,686 of 10,994

Quote:
Hi, i'm in SE London, UK and i'm thinking of selling mine, bought in August 2012, so PM if your interested i guess.

The T-1 are truly amazing headphones, in regards to boring, i never thought that, i found the fluid nature to be quite breathtaking in fact.
The Tesla technology has very low distortion, so someone with lack of better expression, or a penchant for an average consumer sound, i.e 'beats' may use this lazy description. Always best to audition to make up your own mind.

PM sent.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #3,687 of 10,994
Quote:

I also got the T1 as a compliment to my LCD2 (Rev1). The 2 phones sound nothing alike, even on the Burson Soloist, which many people seem to think synergise well with both cans. If you think the LCD2s are fun to listen to, you might find the T1s somewhat more "boring" in comparison, especially on the Soloist. That said, they are definitely not boring on tube amps like the Woo WA2. Not sure how it would work on your Lyr though. Might be better to audition a pair first to see how you like the quite different sound signature.

Quote:
OK, got the answer directly from Beyerdynamic:
"in October 2010 starting with Serial No: 2600 the headband was changed.
All T1 with a higher No than 2600 have the „new” headband."

Is anybody aware of any other changes between models, especially sound-wise?

My T1s are 2nd hand, SN < 2000. Maybe I should post a photo of the headband and we can see if it really looks that different.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back