The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 15, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #3,406 of 10,994
Quote:

Let them breath but also keep them in their case,  Get a lint brush for the pads.  Oil up or apply some kind of conditioner to the headband every now and then.  Your all set.

Thanks for that information preproman. That's about how I'm doing it so I guess I was on the right track then!
Btw.. is there some special kind of conditioner that you use and would recommend?

Quote:

Good come back
wink_face.gif

Thanks
wink_face.gif

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #3,407 of 10,994
#4881 Here

Had them for a good 12 months now and do definitely enjoy them both for sound and comfort (one of the few pairs of headphones I've had where my ears dont touch the inside at all)

Recently my Littledot died and so I've recently upgraded to the Audio-gd Phoenix that I got discounted and I'm pretty blown away... I now seem to spend more and more time sat on my sofa just to sit down, listen and unwind.

But with all that said, I still never was drawn to the T1 as I was to the DT1350's I've got.

There is something about the DT1350's, I absolutely love them for traveling around/at work.

And whilst I'd never listen to them over my T1's at home, they just have a sound signature for alternative rock that I really enjoy that I can never seem to find quite the same with the T1 even though I find so much more detail with the T1's. Never got on with the HD650's and whilst the DT880's were in the right direction I don't think they have anything on the T1 (at least on my old littledot).

Having said all of the above I can't help but get tempted to re-try a pair of HD600's. After previously trying HD600 vs DT880's and preferring the beyers I cant really stop myself but looking back at amazon for prices on the HD600 :p

Anyone happen to have a pair of both T1's and HD600's?

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #3,408 of 10,994
Quote:
#4881 Here

Had them for a good 12 months now and do definitely enjoy them both for sound and comfort (one of the few pairs of headphones I've had where my ears dont touch the inside at all)

Recently my Littledot died and so I've recently upgraded to the Audio-gd Phoenix that I got discounted and I'm pretty blown away... I now seem to spend more and more time sat on my sofa just to sit down, listen and unwind.

But with all that said, I still never was drawn to the T1 as I was to the DT1350's I've got.

There is something about the DT1350's, I absolutely love them for traveling around/at work.

And whilst I'd never listen to them over my T1's at home, they just have a sound signature for alternative rock that I really enjoy that I can never seem to find quite the same with the T1 even though I find so much more detail with the T1's. Never got on with the HD650's and whilst the DT880's were in the right direction I don't think they have anything on the T1 (at least on my old littledot).

Having said all of the above I can't help but get tempted to re-try a pair of HD600's. After previously trying HD600 vs DT880's and preferring the beyers I cant really stop myself but looking back at amazon for prices on the HD600 :p

I love my T1s, but I fully understand where you're coming from. People often misunderstand what I mean, but I consider the 1350s to be a better headphone than the T1s "dollar for dollar". The T1s are better overall, but in terms of value the 1350s have them beat. Not a day goes by where I dont reach for my little portables. 

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #3,409 of 10,994
Also another thing I've noticed with the T1's more than any other headphones I've used is that whilst I wouldn't say they are super sensitive to positioning, they are easily affected by wrong positioning, especially if you've gotten up and moved your head whilst wearing since they've minimal clamping force and some weight to them...

I still to this day can't say that I've found the definitive sweet spot and instead generally put them on for comfort, then start the music and enjoy it. But once in a while I'll go back and try to move them around and spend hours trying different positions but it seems either I've not yet found that special place or that different placements just work better for different music genres/songs.

Every time I find a new 'supposed' sweet spot I'll enjoy whatever i'm listening to and then start switching up to another genre/band and sometimes find that it is definitely not as nice as my usual 'comfort' position for this type.

After writing this post, I feel I'm going to have to go straight back and start playing around again to see if I can finally locate it, but I was hoping to hear from other T1 owners - How do you wear yours? (I watched Zombie_X showing he wears them level and kinda back so the drivers are nearer to his ears!) :D

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #3,411 of 10,994
Yeah to be fair, after about 20mins of playing I went back to max comfort and I think that maybe this is in fact the best position for listening anyway :p

I'm so used to pushing headphones down and forwards with centralised drivers that for a while when I first got the T1's I used to move them all over but since the drivers are forwards, centre is pretty much wearing them 'forwards'.

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #3,412 of 10,994
Quote:
#4881 Here

I owned both but never really liked the HD600 except for some very specific things (Blues, and acoustic), always found them quite muddy, made the music sound confused. For all kind of Rock and/or metal they really couldn't compete with the T1

Nov 19, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #3,413 of 10,994
Number 8875 reporting in, just got them 3 days ago. 

I also have a HD600, but I have to say, the T1's really are miles ahead. The T1 is just so fast and detailed, instrument separation is also a lot better. While the HD600 sounds great in its own right, in comparison to the T1 they come up short just about every department. However, if you would prefer a more mellow, smooth sound, you could look into the HD600.

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #3,414 of 10,994
Thanks for the comparison guys, I'm mostly listening to rock and I listened the the HD600's quite a bit before getting my T1's.

Also I think that surprisingly lowering my general level of listening volume has helped me get more into the T1's. By raising the volume to try and get more vocals out of certain tracks it seems that instead I'm slightly increasing mids and largely increasing the bass and treble :p

After reading posts on listing volumes and dropping mine right down (initially I thought it was seriously boring) I have started to notice more in tracks that normally is drowned out by another instrument at a higher volume and after a lot of playing I've found a small range of optimal volumes and by changing within this 5% range I can find the ideal volume for a certain song that isn't fatiguing but still engaging.

I really need to get myself a meter to check the dB's I'm at!

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #3,415 of 10,994
has anyone here used the t1's with either the schiit valhalla or the lyr?  and if so what tubes would you use for the best quality sound for the t1?

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #3,416 of 10,994
I had the Lyr and T1 concurrently for about 6 months. There isn't much magic twixt the two in my opinion. In fact, I had the Valhalla for one evening and preferred it with the T1 compared to the Lyr.

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #3,418 of 10,994
Checking in around these parts. Running my T1s, slightly modded with Zombie X's mods. Really enjoying these from a Ref-1 -> Burson Soloist. Definitely has enough power for these. I really enjoy the sound of these for some reason. The midrange is a nice balance between transparency and weight. Also, it sounds great with just about anything tossed at it, even poorly recorded stuff.

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #3,419 of 10,994
Quote:
#4881 Here

For metal, rock or any energetic music, T1 is definitely much better than the senns

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #3,420 of 10,994
Boy, this is a long thread, and since I can't read it all, here's my question:  Does anyone have the following set-up - iPhone/iPod -> LOD-RCA -> A1 Amp -> T1?  I did an extended demo of the T5p, and while the "airiness"/space, clarity and detail were wonderful (incredible, actually, which is why I'm considering the T1), I was underwhelmed by the bass straight out of my iPhone.  Certainly, you could get a portable amp to improve that, but it seemed that the consensus was that would only take you so far, and the sound-signature of the T1 was going to be more to my liking.  The A1 amp is small and portable enough to carry it around my house (all that I really need), but my remaining concern was the use of a low-powered device such as an iPhone/iPod as the music source using a LOD-RCA cable.  (The alternative would be a mini-RCA cable, which would be a bit more future-proof given Apple's move to the Lightening connector.)  If you have this set-up, and have any thoughts you can share, I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks in advance!

(I also may try the DT1350, which sounds like it will work fine straight from an iPhone and provide a more detailed sound than my current headphone, which is a Sennheiser Momentum.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back