The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 24, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #1,381 of 10,994
I dont know where you are living but there are 120 Ohm adapters and with them you easily can compare it. You can also make one by yourself if you have the abitility..

Aug 24, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #1,382 of 10,994

Quote:
Someone is using the jack modification to the t1?
I've the T1 for about 5 months! I really like it but to me there are some faults. In particular starting from the bass, it sound more like a "diffuse" bass than a sharp and snappy one, the midbass seems to me a little slow and recessed. Highs to me seems a bit metallic and edgy.... I'm afraid that I've the "wrong" but could be also the headphone amp output that is 10 ohm instead of the 120 ohm (IEC standard). 

Someone have the possibility to try the t1 with low and high Z output? It would be fantastic also to find some frequency graph comparison between different source impedance!!

Thanks,

Marco

Wow that's TOTALLY the opposite impression I get with the T1's on the Woo6se or Audio-gd Roc. What amp were you using?

Aug 24, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #1,384 of 10,994

Quote:
The only way I can give the T1 a thorough listen with my equipment is if I buy one, and my initial listen put me off. The bass-depth of my 880 extends lower than any headphone I've heard including all the so-named bass-lovers cans, more bass than a DT880 tells me it's quantity, which I certainly don't need. My initial listen was that it is boomier, like a DT880 with a fat bottom and designer clothes. In fact the first thing that stood out was the low-end, either because it's the first and easiest thing I can ascertain, or because it is more than I'm used too. Is the T1 closer to neutral than the DT880, or is it just a matter of choice? For instance if I bought the T1, I'd find I had more bass, more treble energy, more soundstage and convince myself more is better, afterall it's a much more expensive headphone.

The graphs says the DT880 stays closer to neutral than the T1, but I know full well you can't know how a headphone sounds from a FR graph. I'm just going to throw this out there because I can; is there any possibility that Beyer, in light of other headphone manufacturers building thousand dollar flagships pushed out an all metal construction with more of everything from it's predecessors in hope it would meet everyone's expectations. This could explain why we have multiple versions of the T1, and why people like myself aren't entirely convinced.

What's the best amp for the T1, I would imagine like the 880 an OTL amp?

I'm going to agree with a lot of what Graphicism had to say.  Though I never heard the DT880, I had the same sensation with the HD650 VS T1.

Now don't get me wrong, the T1 bass was infinitely of better quality and texture than the HD650...The T1 has some of the absolute best tight bass out there...I would purchase a T1 just to get that bass type presentation as it is so amazing and alluring.  For bass guitars it was very natural....but for kick drums...

It sounded like reverberance of a closed headphone, the kick drum did not correctly dissipate into air - it just stopped abruptly....like closed cans seem to do.  The HD650 and HD800 were more correct in their dissipation of kick drum - it seemed like they could go lower into air...the bass that is.

But seriously, I loved the T1 bass, it was the most outstanding attribute of the T1...unbelievably rhythmical and tuneful.  Unlike any I have ever heard.

Aug 24, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #1,385 of 10,994

Quote:
Addicted to these headphones....can't stop listening. They just keep on giving. Enjoying them a lot more since getting the ALO Continental (might also burn in related too). At that point where you're almost wondering how much better it could get, though you know they could still get better. You're just not sure how till you hear it lol.

This is my current EQ. Have to start the bass rise earlier when using the SR-71A, which is also more sibilant at times. Continental is smoother and warmer though so can start bass rise later and save some clarity. In-fact I haven't actually had an ounce of sibilance for the last 2+ hours of listening which is great. Bear in mind, this EQ might be just a touch too bassy for some, but I am a bit of a bass head. I don't feel it's too much bass that any clarity, detail or texture is lost mind, so give it a shot. I initially spent 10+ hours tweaking the EQ but just decided the default frequency was near perfect, so ended up settling on nearly flat, those using solid state amps might want to drop the high's or 10k peak a bit to smoothen out the highs a bit.

Main EQ with ALO Continental.

For Dubstep and other bass heavy tracks.

This is for when I fancy a more studio like sound (vocals that are cleaner and less thick).

Main EQ with SR-71A

Same as above, flat unless I want a bit more bass presence (has less than Continental by default).

EDIT: Changed the images above, after over 100 hours of burn in now, I honestly the the cans are perfectly balanced just flat. Which is shocking, in all the cans and IEM's I've ever used in the past I've never been 100% content with just the default frequency curve, so colour me seriously impressed. These cans are no joke, they are, imo, nigh on perfectly balanced. That is of course until I try something else potentially better balanced! :p

Also, logged battery life at roughly 6 hours and 40 mins on my last charge with the Continental.

Edited this post to reflect my thoughts. This can....amazing...Saying that though, a big chunk might be down to the amp. 

Aug 24, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #1,386 of 10,994

Quote:
I'm going to agree with a lot of what Graphicism had to say.  Though I never heard the DT880, I had the same sensation with the HD650 VS T1.

Now don't get me wrong, the T1 bass was infinitely of better quality and texture than the HD650...The T1 has some of the absolute best tight bass out there...I would purchase a T1 just to get that bass type presentation as it is so amazing and alluring.  For bass guitars it was very natural....but for kick drums...

It sounded like reverberance of a closed headphone, the kick drum did not correctly dissipate into air - it just stopped abruptly....like closed cans seem to do.  The HD650 and HD800 were more correct in their dissipation of kick drum - it seemed like they could go lower into air...the bass that is.

But seriously, I loved the T1 bass, it was the most outstanding attribute of the T1...unbelievably rhythmical and tuneful.  Unlike any I have ever heard.

Shouldn't the closed can allow for the reverb of the kick drum to linger while it dissipates faster on an open headphone?  I thought fast dissipation was an attribute to open cans.

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #1,387 of 10,994

Quote:
Shouldn't the closed can allow for the reverb of the kick drum to linger while it dissipates faster on an open headphone?  I thought fast dissipation was an attribute to open cans.

So the disagreement is on how a kick drum should dissipate?  Kick drums should dissipate relatively quickly as far as instruments go, if I'm not mistaken.

Aug 27, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #1,391 of 10,994

Quote:
The way you made it sound, it sounded like closed cans dissipated faster than open cans for kick drums.

Just to clarify, the main body of the kick drum should be quick and sharp, then followed by a trail of slowly decaying air.  Closed cans tend to reverberate the main body a little longer, and the trail of air isn't so evident.  To me at least.  But in all honesty this isn't a particularly fatal flaw on the T1 considering how tight and layered the T1 bass is.  When I think about the best aspect of the T1 to me the bass comes to mind immediately.

Still the best way to compare this phenomenon is to compare the T1s ability to deliver a kick drum to the truly open HD800 or LCD2 which are both superb in this exclusive scenario.  I liked the T1 bass so much that I tried to EQ its properties into the HD800 and LCD2 without any success.

Sep 3, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #1,392 of 10,994
So I might be in a position to get a WA2 soon over my Lyr.  Has anyone owned both with the T1 and could do a compare?  Would there be any genres where the Lyr would be better, or would the WA2 just blow it away?

Sep 3, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #1,393 of 10,994

Quote:
So I might be in a position to get a WA2 soon over my Lyr.  Has anyone owned both with the T1 and could do a compare?  Would there be any genres where the Lyr would be better, or would the WA2 just blow it away?

I previously owned the WA2 and with the right tubes (TS5998s, CV2492 Mullards and Telefunken EZ80s) it was quite a bit better than my Lyr. With orthos though, it's the other way around.

Sep 4, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #1,394 of 10,994
# 1908 checking in,and my 1st post here ever

Please be gentle
smile_phones.gif

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #1,395 of 10,994
for me overall
T1 << PS1000

the only points where T1 was better:
-weight
-headband comfort (but overall comfort for me Grado is better)
-stays on head more securely
-bit more transparency in sound sig
-bigger soundstage (i dont care about that)
-nice and kind german Beyerdynamic service

Despite that Grado is in an other league.
But this comes visible in price too.
So if money is not an object try PS first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back