The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 22, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #1,322 of 10,994

Quote:
I wouldn't consider the Lyr a "high end" solution for the T1s (I've got both right here). <snip>

+1

Quote:
Everyone seems to be enamoured with tube amps but...what about the A1? One would assume that if any amp is going to match well with T1s, that would be it.

IIRC, the A1 is relatively over priced.  IMHO, a well built M^3 is a very hard to beat T-1 amp, as long as you don't mind foregoing the distortions tubes bring to the table.

I don't mind tube amps, but I hate tube rolling.  Too much fiddling about, and you can't interchange the tubes fast enough to really be sure that the difference you think you might be detecting are not from placebo, expectation or distortion. 

Some of the tube rollers claim dramatic differences and I won't argue with them, but it seems to me that if the tubes are well made and within the specs of the amp's design, that what ever differences there are, should be subtle.

And speaking of subtle.  Subtle EQing can be your friend.

Aug 22, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #1,323 of 10,994
I don't know about the A1 but I have a black SPL Auditor coming this week and I'll be sure to post impressions and a review video about it with the T1.

Quote:
Everyone seems to be enamoured with tube amps but...what about the A1? One would assume that if any amp is going to match well with T1s, that would be it.

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #1,325 of 10,994

Quote:
I don't know about the A1 but I have a black SPL Auditor coming this week and I'll be sure to post impressions and a review video about it with the T1.

What amps will you be comparing it to?

Quote:
Hi guys,

which is the best amp output impedance for the t1 in your opinion? 

Thanks,

Marco

The best place to get that answer is from Beyerdynamic themselves.

Aug 22, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #1,326 of 10,994

Quote:
Quote:
Anyone try the Graham Slee Solo/Ultra-Linear with the T1? I was just reading of how it has a warm tube-like presentation with a bit of emphasis on the bottom end, might go well together.

That might work.  What do you think Peter?

E

Which one's Peter? 
ph34r.gif

Aug 22, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #1,327 of 10,994
Addicted to these headphones....can't stop listening. They just keep on giving. Enjoying them a lot more since getting the ALO Continental (might also burn in related too). At that point where you're almost wondering how much better it could get, though you know they could still get better. You're just not sure how till you hear it lol.

This is my current EQ. Have to start the bass rise earlier when using the SR-71A, which is also more sibilant at times. Continental is smoother and warmer though so can start bass rise later and save some clarity. In-fact I haven't actually had an ounce of sibilance for the last 2+ hours of listening which is great. Bear in mind, this EQ might be just a touch too bassy for some, but I am a bit of a bass head. I don't feel it's too much bass that any clarity, detail or texture is lost mind, so give it a shot. I initially spent 10+ hours tweaking the EQ but just decided the default frequency was near perfect, so ended up settling on nearly flat, those using solid state amps might want to drop the high's or 10k peak a bit to smoothen out the highs a bit.

Main EQ with ALO Continental.

For Dubstep and other bass heavy tracks.

This is for when I fancy a more studio like sound (vocals that are cleaner and less thick).

Main EQ with SR-71A

Same as above, flat unless I want a bit more bass presence (has less than Continental by default).

EDIT: Changed the images above, after over 100 hours of burn in now, I honestly the the cans are perfectly balanced just flat. Which is shocking, in all the cans and IEM's I've ever used in the past I've never been 100% content with just the default frequency curve, so colour me seriously impressed. These cans are no joke, they are, imo, nigh on perfectly balanced. That is of course until I try something else potentially better balanced! :p

Also, logged battery life at roughly 6 hours and 40 mins on my last charge with the Continental.

Aug 22, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #1,328 of 10,994

Quote:
Which one's Peter? 
ph34r.gif

That would be Macedonianhero, one of our resident engineers.

Quote:
This is my current EQ.

< snip>

.... those using solid state amps might want to drop the high's or 10k peak a bit to smoothen out the highs a bit.

Interesting EQ curve.... and interesting comment about SS amps.

This is the EQ curve I used to make the "overly Bright, bass light" T-1s listenable.  Look familiar?

The new T-1s require no EQ at all.  Think about it.

Aug 22, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #1,330 of 10,994
I wish cavalli would create a fully discrete hybrid tube amp with tube being bypassable :)

wonder if its possible...

What would be best in my opinion

fully discrete hybrid tube amp with bypassable tube going in an internal passive mastering grade parametric EQ.

EQ could be dip switches or somethings more appropriate. (preset would be awesome tho)

and a cheaper model with opamp and EQ in opamp..

Aug 22, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #1,331 of 10,994
Quote:
This is the EQ curve I used to make the "overly Bright, bass light" T-1s listenable.  Look familiar?

You sure about that? That EQ has distortion written all over it.

I believe I've only heard a bass-heavy T1, would the bass-light variants be considered to have less bass than a DT880/600?

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #1,332 of 10,994
For those who want the best , cheap and in simplicity..

I recommend..

http://www.acustica-audio.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=23&Itemid=228

for EQ and anything really even tube or tape saturation

You can go all neutral and discrete SS.... and use this to add whatever you need to the sound without playing in your real signal path..

there simply nothing like nebula 3 impulse response technology to emulate real hardware.. like vintage EQ, tube, tape.. etc..

i was actually using this vst for production but never thought of using it in my listening path.. can be interesting... :)

(vst like this are not very good for the audiophile hardware market tho since it can capture any hardware gear, even your current tube preamp )

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #1,333 of 10,994

Quote:

That would be Macedonianhero, one of our resident engineers.

Interesting EQ curve.... and interesting comment about SS amps.

its personal preference. some ppl like more bass.  you cant say that something doesnt require EQ but everyone is different. and if you look at his, he didnt lower the treble.... so most EQs of people that like awesome bass, will look like his... and i guess like yours. 

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #1,334 of 10,994

Quote:

I actually have a new revision of the T1 (new headband and driver cover). I find the top end to be perfect using my Continental but ever so slightly harsh at times with the SR-71A, but on rare occasion. Since sibilance is such a rare occurrence, I'm inclined to agree with you. Could just be bad recordings that highlight some over emphatic highs, but the T1 is still a bit brighter up top (in places) than some of the other high end cans.

But in any case, I add the bass and drop the mid low frequencies just to add some oomph and clear the air to make way for the beautiful instrumental detailing more. It's just a personal preference and as mentioned in my post, these headphones do not require EQ'ing, it's just I like some added low end. But imo if you add in some low end you need to just slightly tweak the rest of the mid-low end of the frequency to make amends for this (otherwise you have an overly dark and bass emphasised sonic presentation).

Aug 22, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #1,335 of 10,994

Quote:
Dear upstateguy,

there is a way to understand which version is bass light or bass heavy?

Thanks,

Marco

Hi Marco

I think my original bass light and bass heavy designations should have been "overly bright treble and bass light" and "normal".

If you listen to a pair of T-1s and your normal inclination is to apply the curve I posted, in order to make them sound normal, you have the overly bright versions.  There is no mistaking this.  As soon as I heard the overly  bright versions I posted about it, way back in this thread, because it was nothing like the descriptions skylab and Macedonianhero posted.

The normal T-1s are not bass deficient and are not bright sounding.  I hope that helps.

Quote:
its personal preference. some ppl like more bass.  you cant say that something doesnt require EQ but everyone is different. and if you look at his, he didnt lower the treble.... so most EQs of people that like awesome bass, will look like his... and i guess like yours. 

I didn't boost the bass and lower the treble as a preference.  I did it to try to correct the deficiencies in the defective T-1s I had.

Quote:
I actually have a new revision of the T1 (new headband and driver cover). I find the top end to be perfect using my Continental but ever so slightly harsh at times with the SR-71A, but on rare occasion. Since sibilance is such a rare occurrence, I'm inclined to agree with you. Could just be bad recordings that highlight some over emphatic highs, but the T1 is still a bit brighter up top (in places) than some of the other high end cans.

But in any case, I add the bass and drop the mid low frequencies just to add some oomph and clear the air to make way for the beautiful instrumental detailing more. It's just a personal preference and as mentioned in my post, these headphones do not require EQ'ing, it's just I like some added low end. But imo if you add in some low end you need to just slightly tweak the rest of the mid-low end of the frequency to make amends for this (otherwise you have an overly dark and bass emphasised sonic presentation).

When I EQ's the overly bright T-1s, the result was not a bass emphasized presentation.  It just liftedt the bass out of the "bass light" catagory and toned down the overly bright treble.  For some darker recordings I was able to omit the treble cut, but the defective T-1s always needed the bass boost.

I'm curious what high end headphones you consider the T-1 brighter than (except the 650s, of course)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back