The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 14, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #10,726 of 10,994
I am using T1G2 pads on my T1. The T1G2 pads is firmer and with fewer holes on the back comparing to the original T1 pads. The result is more focused/less disfused sound and slightly wider sound stage as the firmer pads put the driver slightly more away.

The T1G2 pads won't give the warm/slightly blurred T1G2 low end to the T1. The T2G2's warmer sound signature is done via driver back side dampering and less rigid driver mounting using plastic washers.

Now it is already very difficult to obtain the original T1 pads. I think eventually people will have to use T1G2 pads on the T1G1.

After I bought the T1G2 pads, I also bought the DT1990 balance pads to try. To my eyes and touch the DT1990 balance pads (the one with more holes on the back) are no different to the T1G2 pads, just cheaper and come with 2 foam discs + mounting rings. So it is actually better to buy the DT1990 balance pads.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #10,727 of 10,994
I am using T1G2 pads on my T1. The T1G2 pads is firmer and with fewer holes on the back comparing to the original T1 pads. The result is more focused/less disfused sound and slightly wider sound stage as the firmer pads put the driver slightly more away.

The T1G2 pads won't give the warm/slightly blurred T1G2 low end to the T1. The T2G2's warmer sound signature is done via driver back side dampering and less rigid driver mounting using plastic washers.

Now it is already very difficult to obtain the original T1 pads. I think eventually people will have to use T1G2 pads on the T1G1.

After I bought the T1G2 pads, I also bought the DT1990 balance pads to try. To my eyes and touch the DT1990 balance pads (the one with more holes on the back) are no different to the T1G2 pads, just cheaper and come with 2 foam discs + mounting rings. So it is actually better to buy the DT1990 balance pads.

thanks for this, quite informative

Jan 15, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #10,728 of 10,994
Where can one buy genuine replacement pads for the T1.2 in the US? The one place that comes up with actual Beyer pads when I search is in Europe.

Jan 16, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #10,729 of 10,994

Where did you find the bundle of the Balanced DT1990 pads with mounting rings? When I looked in the European Beyerdynamic page, the pads come only with the foam discs, no mounting ring.

Jan 16, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #10,730 of 10,994
Where did you find the bundle of the Balanced DT1990 pads with mounting rings? When I looked in the European Beyerdynamic page, the pads come only with the foam discs, no mounting ring.

The DT1990 pads are available from amazon.de at https://www.amazon.de/Beyerdynamic-Ohrpolstersatz-balanced-Coolmax-schwarz/dp/B01MXF32KG?th=1&psc=1 . You cannot see the mounting rings from the photos. The mounting rings are for fixing the foam discs in front of the baffle plates.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #10,731 of 10,994
A report from a very early serial user. (Gen.1, 1201)
I bought my T1 in 2012, and have been enjoying it without any "piercing treble" problem.

But I know what this problem is, because I had this problem with another early serial T1 (19xx), which I bought and sold away in... maybe 2010.
I thought I was just lucky when I got 1201, until I replaced old pads with new ones in late mid-2016 (of course the original pads from Beyerdynamic)
My 1201 sounded shrill and piercing, just like the s/n 19xx I heard in 2010!!

So I dared to put my new pads under heavy thick books, for weeks at least, to make them slime and softer like old ones (but not torn).
Result: Hypothesis proven!

I don't think that peak in 9-10khz completely gone, but it might be pushed into higher range. (+10khz)
But it was enough to soften whole ground tone range, and it's still fun to hear gently sparkling harmonics.

Jan 24, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #10,732 of 10,994
After a thoroughly interesting reading about velour and leather pads on headphones:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/8b19pe/why_do_open_back_headphones_usually_have_velour/

I figured I'd put my Brainwaz Sheepskin leather pads that I had laying around on my T1s, and low a behold indeed more bass, in fact, too much bass, like "Wow, bass. What are you doing here in my mids?" but it didn't produce a cavernous effect. Before trying the leather pads, I was using Brainwavz velour pads and I noticed that the velour pads were attenuating the high frequencies a bit, but with the leather ones I was perceiving more detail, but a bit of recessed high frequencies . So I just equalized the living daylights of all that extra bass with a low pass filter and adjusted the high frequencies with two high self filters:

Low shelf filter: Fixed S, center frequency at 700 Hz, gain -3.00 dB.
High shelf filter: Fixed S, center frequency at 1500 Hz, gain 3.50 dB.
High shelf filter: Fixed S, centre frequency at 4000 Hz, gain -3.00 dB.
Preamp: -2.60 dB

I don't know if I'm suffering for a mild hearing loss, but I don't find the T1 highs to be piercing at all. I added the second high shelf filter so the highs didn't go overboard. Overall, the T1 ended up sounding warmer, but just as detailed and with a nice bass, something that I personally like.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #10,733 of 10,994
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0030.JPG
Custom made headphones using T1 2g drivers,few Beyerdynamic spare parts,other parts are
machined from plastic and stainless steel :beyersmile: I cant compare them to original,but they sounds pretty good I am sure sound will be pretty much the same as original T1 since only thing that can affect sound are earcups which are very similar.This is just more rugged version of T1,quite heavyweight also (560 grams :anguished:)

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #10,734 of 10,994

Custom made headphones using T1 2g drivers,few Beyerdynamic spare parts,other parts are
machined from plastic and stainless steel :beyersmile: I cant compare them to original,but they sounds pretty good I am sure sound will be pretty much the same as original T1 since only thing that can affect sound are earcups which are very similar.This is just more rugged version of T1,quite heavyweight also (560 grams :anguished:)

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #10,735 of 10,994

very nice. good work

Feb 24, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #10,737 of 10,994
Picked up the T1.2 LE's, all black version, and these are great cans. They are a nice alternative to the HD800S's. They are much more musical than the HD800S's but they give up some dynamics in comparison.

Feb 24, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #10,738 of 10,994
Guess who's back? I haven't logged on for over a year. I recently picked up the T1 Gen2 in all black as well. They sound really nice and are an improvement over the original T1 imo.

I still have my original T1 and bought replacement sliders for them but can not seem to get them off the original unit. Any tips from the people have replaced them>

Feb 25, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #10,739 of 10,994
Guess who's back? I haven't logged on for over a year. I recently picked up the T1 Gen2 in all black as well. They sound really nice and are an improvement over the original T1 imo.

I still have my original T1 and bought replacement sliders for them but can not seem to get them off the original unit. Any tips from the people have replaced them>
Congrats, do you like them better than your HD800’s?

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #10,740 of 10,994

Users who are viewing this thread

Back