The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 22, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #9,092 of 10,994
Learnt something today. Don't use these bad boys outside (garden near roads). You can push it to ear damaging levels and still can't get the sound I've heard before because of the high noise floor. Amp volume knob just kept going up and up and up, no improvement.

Just entering a quiet room made night and day difference to it! Ahh~open backs.

May 22, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #9,094 of 10,994
  I found the best combo   Hugo TT >> beyer T1, sound full and top notch detail without any harshness . due to the lightweight I use them alot with gaming and watching youtube . I love them now more than before .
But I'm still thinking did I need to recable them or not ? I want the best out of T1 .

T1's come stock with an excellent cable already. I don't think you'll find a better one, probably just a more expensive one.

May 22, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #9,095 of 10,994
  As Law87 said they are superb for gaming, though it will obviously depend on the games that you play. I myself play a lot of FPS games and the T1 is my daily driver. For BF4 the sound is truly phenomenal and I have spent more time listening to the game then actually running around and playing. I mainly play CS:GO and it is also very good, although it's not as mind-blowing as the audio in BF4. I would imagine that if you are into racing simulators and other atmospheric games that it would be very immersive. 

Did you try BF3?  IMHO sound quality in BF4 is a huge downgrade compared to BF3, it's actually one of the main reasons why I still play BF3 and not 4, well sound, and the fact that BF3 is just a better game, in every way.  Sound  in BF4 compared to BF3 just has no dynamics, it's nowhere near as clear and detailed, it also seems to be overly bass heavy and positioning is bad in BF4. Everything just feels compressed and mixed together. BF3 for me has the best sound of any game I've ever played, it's just perfect, incredibly dynamic, spacious, it has perfect positioning, etc. Just gotta set it up properly and use it without any surround sound crap, pure stereo.

May 22, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #9,096 of 10,994
Did you try BF3?  IMHO sound quality in BF4 is a huge downgrade compared to BF3, it's actually one of the main reasons why I still play BF3 and not 4, well sound, and the fact that BF3 is just a better game, in every way.  Sound  in BF4 compared to BF3 just has no dynamics, it's nowhere near as clear and detailed, it also seems to be overly bass heavy and positioning is bad in BF4. Everything just feels compressed and mixed together. BF3 for me has the best sound of any game I've ever played, it's just perfect, incredibly dynamic, spacious, it has perfect positioning, etc. Just gotta set it up properly and use it without any surround sound crap, pure stereo.

I rarely play battlefield as its not my type of game but I do agree that the dynamics if bf3 is better than bf4. I have not tried bf3 with my setup, so I can't comment on it.

May 23, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #9,097 of 10,994
So I found a good deal on a used pair of T1's so I went for it without ever hearing one before, just lots of reading here on head-fi. Serial 3XXX so a fairly early run.

I tried running them through a Lyr1 using Amperex Bugle Boy D-Getters and Tesla Gold Pins and I could see (hear?) why people think the treble can get a little hot. I was sort of disappointed in what these sounded like through the Lyr, but I was also disappointed in my LA5000's (Denon D5000's modded by Lawton Audio) and HE-4's running from the Lyr. I run all my headphones through a Sansui G-5500 from 1979 and the T1`s came alive. Full bodied bass with nice impact that rivals my LA5000's but the T1's have a tighter and "cleaner" impact to them. The treble and mid-range have detail I haven't experienced before, with the treble having zero harshness to it. I'm not so worried about running these from an SS amp as I do use a Music Hall Dac 25.2 (modded to the gills) which uses a tube in the output stage. I am using one of those Amperex tubes in my Dac now, which is an improvement over the Tesla tube.

One other thing to note is my T1's came re-cabled with a Toxic Poison Silver cable which is a pure silver cable. I was somewhat worried about running a silver cable on a headphone that I have heard has some treble issues but I am pleased, at least in my setup, this is not the case.

I am looking forward to some more in depth listening as I have only had these for a day. My taste of music is pretty wide; rock, rap, edm, rnb, some pop, classical piano, etc. I have read that full orchestral and other classical music sounds great on the T1's. Can anyone recommend some classical that isn't solo piano, perhaps something string based or full orchestral?

May 23, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #9,098 of 10,994
So I found a good deal on a used pair of T1's so I went for it without ever hearing one before, just lots of reading here on head-fi. Serial 3XXX so a fairly early run.

I tried running them through a Lyr1 using Amperex Bugle Boy D-Getters and Tesla Gold Pins and I could see (hear?) why people think the treble can get a little hot. I was sort of disappointed in what these sounded like through the Lyr, but I was also disappointed in my LA5000's (Denon D5000's modded by Lawton Audio) and HE-4's running from the Lyr. I run all my headphones through a Sansui G-5500 from 1979 and the T1`s came alive. Full bodied bass with nice impact that rivals my LA5000's but the T1's have a tighter and "cleaner" impact to them. The treble and mid-range have detail I haven't experienced before, with the treble having zero harshness to it. I'm not so worried about running these from an SS amp as I do use a Music Hall Dac 25.2 (modded to the gills) which uses a tube in the output stage. I am using one of those Amperex tubes in my Dac now, which is an improvement over the Tesla tube.

One other thing to note is my T1's came re-cabled with a Toxic Poison Silver cable which is a pure silver cable. I was somewhat worried about running a silver cable on a headphone that I have heard has some treble issues but I am pleased, at least in my setup, this is not the case.

I am looking forward to some more in depth listening as I have only had these for a day. My taste of music is pretty wide; rock, rap, edm, rnb, some pop, classical piano, etc. I have read that full orchestral and other classical music sounds great on the T1's. Can anyone recommend some classical that isn't solo piano, perhaps something string based or full orchestral?

Musical preference is obviously very personal, however i will make a suggestion since you asked.
My favorite music through the T1 is acoustical.
Check out Johannes Linstead or Robert Michaels.

May 23, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #9,099 of 10,994
Can't help much with the classical thing, but if you want to have a great T1 experience, fire up some Massive Attack (the song "Angel" will show you how the T1s handle the low end). For acoutsitc, pretty  much anything by Jack Johnson sounds incredible on them. Overall my favorite genre on the T1s is EDM, though. I could listen to that all day. 

May 24, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #9,100 of 10,994

I would also direct you to this thread - http://www.head-fi.org/t/626563/best-classical-recordings-ever
Click on view all on recent images and you'll be able to view further classical recommendations to your heart's content.

May 24, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #9,101 of 10,994
I have read that full orchestral and other classical music sounds great on the T1's. Can anyone recommend some classical that isn't solo piano, perhaps something string based or full orchestral?

I don't listen to much classical, but these albums in 24/96 sound absolutely amazing on my T1's, so spacious, detailed and natural.

The William Carter album sounds holographic, it's almost exactly like hearing a guitar in person on a semi-large stage.

May 25, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #9,102 of 10,994

You may want to check out Verdis Requiem, especially Dies Irae. Also Mahlers Symphony nr. 9 or Dvoraks 'From the new World', which also happens to be Symphony Nr. 9

Overall my favorite genre on the T1s is EDM, though. I could listen to that all day. 

Very much so :)

May 26, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #9,104 of 10,994
  Anyone tried pairing the T1 with the Violectric v90 or v100 amp? Thinking of upgrading my asgard 2 with something else with more juice :)

Asgard already has plenty of juice for T1. Actually, T1 can take more juice than what Asgard can feed it. But I doubt your ears can.

Violectric amps in general is good to pair T1. I have a G109 and it can drive T1 pretty well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back