The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 17, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #8,431 of 10,994

As if you could tell the difference beetween Flac and well encoded MP3 in a proper ABX test ...  If their is an improvement with T1 over T90 or X2/HE400i he will hear it even with MP3s ...

1) You clearly missed the point of my comment.

2) I can clearly tell the difference between a BAD mp3 file and GOOD mp3 file. As you know mp3 is not a raw format, you have to make it out of a different file, and a lot of people who do that don't do it properly, they add loudness, sometimes even EQ it, etc. and they end up making a file that sounds nothing like the original lossless file, instead of being identical.

3)  Music that's available for download or purchase in mp3 format was usually not very well recorded in the first place, some genres in particular, EDM being one of them, and even if someone gave you a 24/192 file of that recording, it would still sound bad, and there would still be no point in buying high end headphones in order to listen to such genres. Why? It's not worth paying 500€ extra in order to hear more artifacts and distortion on the music you're listening to.  Initial question was which genres is the T1 good with. With all genres, but while that's true, it's important to say that just because it's true, it doesn't mean all music sounds good on it. Genre is not the same as recording quality. That was my point. If your main focus is listening to music that's in 99% of cases poorly recorded, then there's no point getting equipment that is overkill for such music.

Jan 17, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #8,432 of 10,994

3)  Music that's available for download or purchase in mp3 format was usually not very well recorded in the first place, some genres in particular, EDM being one of them, and even if someone gave you a 24/192 file of that recording, it would still sound bad, and there would still be no point in buying high end headphones in order to listen to such genres

One of the most ridiculous, misinformed and wildly inaccurate posts I have ever read on this site.

Jan 17, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #8,434 of 10,994

1) You clearly missed the point of my comment.

2) I can clearly tell the difference between a BAD mp3 file and GOOD mp3 file. As you know mp3 is not a raw format, you have to make it out of a different file, and a lot of people who do that don't do it properly, they add loudness, sometimes even EQ it, etc. and they end up making a file that sounds nothing like the original lossless file, instead of being identical.

3)  Music that's available for download or purchase in mp3 format was usually not very well recorded in the first place, some genres in particular, EDM being one of them, and even if someone gave you a 24/192 file of that recording, it would still sound bad, and there would still be no point in buying high end headphones in order to listen to such genres. Why? It's not worth paying 500€ extra in order to hear more artifacts and distortion on the music you're listening to.  Initial question was which genres is the T1 good with. With all genres, but while that's true, it's important to say that just because it's true, it doesn't mean all music sounds good on it. Genre is not the same as recording quality. That was my point. If your main focus is listening to music that's in 99% of cases poorly recorded, then there's no point getting equipment that is overkill for such music.

2) Yes you are right not all encoders are the same , and you don't know what exactly people do before sharing files , But with spotify as EDMaddict precised now , their will be no problem with that .

3) Hum sorry , can't agree with you on this point , even when i had T1 i enjoyed it with badly recorded stuff like raw black metal and so on .  EDM could be not the best recorded kind of music (and it can be debated) , but you can enjoy it even more with a better headphone depending on what you want to get . T1 will not automatiquely make sound EDM unlistenable .

So Spotify Premium with 320 kbps files are bad?

No they are good . (OGG Vorbis Q9) .

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #8,435 of 10,994
  So Spotify Premium with 320 kbps files are bad?

These days I do most of my listening using Spotify.

It would be considered "bad" by audiophiles who are in a perpetual pursuit of better sound quality. I'm just a guy who loves listening to music and happens to own a T1.

You should decide for yourself what is bad or not 
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #8,436 of 10,994

It would be considered "bad" by audiophiles who are in a perpetual pursuit of better sound quality. I'm just a guy who loves listening to music and happens to own a T1.

evil_smiley.gif

+1 , same here 

Jan 17, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #8,437 of 10,994

evil_smiley.gif

Spotify is not "bad"...it's just not as good as audiophile files.  I've compared songs on CD and Spotify and there is not a night and day difference (you might be able to notice the difference, but only if you really concentrate).

What I have noticed is that  some recordings (very few at that) are downright terrible.  I suspect this is has nothing to do with Spotify --  they are just streaming the crap labels supply them.

Jan 18, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #8,438 of 10,994
While I would not support the statement that all EDM is badly recored/mastered I think electronic music does have properties unlike acoustical stuff that results in different needs when selecting equipment for listening. I do enjoy my large EDM collection a lot when using high-end headphones -- otherwise I would not have bought them as I prefer speaker setups for almost everything except EDM (well, actually I prefer EDM on my PA, but 40kW does not bode well with neighbours).

I think the T1 is excellent with all kinds of electronic music as long as one does not go after a basshead listening experience. No debate about the quality of source material: the T1 makes it more obvious than cheaper headphones if the source material is of bad quality. In my experience dubious mp3s found in the wide fields of the internet are most prone to this problem though...

I see headphones as a means to an end, that is to enjoy (my) music, so the equipment itself does not present value to me. If better headphones give me more joy -- fine. If they are theoretically better (or maybe too genre-dependent) and don't match my taste -- I'll pass. In other words: I don't change my musical taste because my equipment would do better with another genre or recording... as an example: W3000ANV is definitely not on my list. Which does not make it a bad headphone in any way, just one I'll never spend money on.

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #8,439 of 10,994
Hi,

has anyone tried to drive the T1 in combination with the ASUS Essence One (Standard or Muses Edition) or Oppo HA-1?

My personal opinion is that the Oppo HA-1 sounds more clear and has the better soundstage. Background is that I am searching for a combined DAC and headphone amp to run on my PC. I would prefer the Oppo tough it's very expensive around here. However I have to get into the last quarter of the volume control to get a reasonable amount of volume. I don't exceed it, however there is not so much left till the highest volume. For the Asus I just need half of the available volume.

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #8,441 of 10,994
Thanks for the reply. I am already using THW high gain setting. I heard that the XLR output provides much more power, however I dont want to mess with or mod the cable. Are there adapters which work good?

Jan 24, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #8,444 of 10,994

Yes and it sounds very good. I'm currently using the idsd as a DAC in a portable setup feeding to the ALO Rx Mk3-B+.  I find the idsd a touch bright by itself, and the ALO smoothes this out a bit.

The T1 is (so far) my favorite headset with this combo.

ok thanks, would it be the same with the ifi micro ican too? I do find the t1 a bit bright with my current amp, looking for something else before spending a lot more on a tube amp like woo audio wa2, or even just the wa7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back