The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 2, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #9,451 of 10,994
Bass like an LCD-2? Don't make me laugh. The T1 is still bass light compared to some other headphones. The only time I heard big bass from a T1 was when I threw HM5 velour pads on it, and those messed up the whole sound..

A balanced T1 is different from a stock T1, but not by a huge bit. It sounds snappier with better bass control, but that's about it.

Quote:
Interesting, as I came across another review available on CEntrance web site that said this:

"Up next was the Beyerdynamic T1, modded to accept balanced cables. Again, I started by using an unbalanced cable. Immediately, I was impressed by the sound. I had never heard the T1 sounding this good before. The sound was full. There was no brittle and jarring trebles that I sometimes heard with other amps. The mids had more body and generally the sound stage was more 3D like.

But the real surprise came when I switched to the balanced cable. Holy cow! The difference was anything but subtle. The bass on the T1 sounded like that from the LCD-2! The imaging was much more defined. Vocals were smoother with more body and the highs were crystalline. The overall resolution was stunning. It was like listening to a totally different pair of headphones. It was hands down the best that I have heard from the T1 so far. All that from this tiny amp. Unbelievable.

I wanted a second opinion. So, I brought the M8 and T1 to my office (yes, I do have a day job) and asked a colleague who has been an audiophile for years to take a listen. We used his iPhone 5 as source. Soon, adjectives like "superb", "incredible", "marvelous" started spewing from his mouth. After the audition, he concluded by saying "Why would anyone need anything else?" Mind you, this guy is not your regular man on the street. He has heard and owned some of the best audio equipment known to mankind. Such high praises from him is very rare."

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #9,452 of 10,994
  Such a freaking good point. Thanks.
Does this fact bring us to our first statement? "T1 needs more Voltage in bass region to sound loud enough"

Yes, that's right, although there's a more useful question.

How much voltage do we need?

There's no 'right' answer since different people listen to music at wildly different levels.

Technicalities here:
Beyerdynamic T1 needs 0.436 Vrms for 90dB (Tyll most recent measurements)

------
"Normal" / Moderately Loud / 'Healthy' levels are often between 70-80 dB (we are talking about average levels here), this leads to peaks that can go up to 105 dB with highly dynamic classical music.

For those here, you need an amp capable of 3 Vrms to properly drive the T1

Useful example: The quite powerful Fiio E10K can't go over 2.5 Vrms.
------
If you are one of those who listen to music at pretty soft levels (I'm here most of the times) or one of those who don't listen to highly dynamic music (ie, if you listen to pop,rock,mainstream, you know), you're done with 2.5 Vrms.
------
If you listen to music REALLY LOUD (unhealthy levels), then you'll need 8 Vrms or so. We are talking about peaks over 115dB, that's LOUD!! and the headphone will produce significant distortion at those levels, specially in the bass.
Useful example: The Asgard 2 can handle more than 10 Vrms and the Valhalla 2 more than 16 Vrms.
------

As a final note, there's plenty of amplifiers that can drive the T1 with ease, It's often more important to focus on the pairing based on your personal preferences.
Magni 2 Uber is different than Asgard 2, Asgard 2 is different than V200, Valhalla 2 is different to the others, you get the idea...

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #9,453 of 10,994
  Hey guys, is the latest batch of T1s revised or something? The pattern inside the earcup looks different.

New:
Old:

What's the serial number on the new one?

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #9,456 of 10,994
The old one? So we can have a range
smily_headphones1.gif

New and unfortunately there's no detachable cable for 23xxx.

Aug 3, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #9,457 of 10,994
already posted it seems :D

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #9,458 of 10,994
  Seems like they took a note from my T1 damping mod? Either way I knew this was coming for sometime.

No offense but I'm sure engineers at Beyerdynamic have far more knowledge and expertise than you do and certainly don't need to take notes from your mod.  :p

Not trying to insult you or anything, but being an engineer myself, my face always gets green when I see statements like that, you can be sure that the reasons why they didn't use damping on the original version is not because they didn't think of it, it was because they were aiming at a certain acoustic performance, and that was achieved without damping.

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #9,459 of 10,994
I tend to trust my ears rather than graphs and while there are lots of amps available that will drive the T1's "ok".  

I have an even better approach...I send Jan Meier an email and I say, "Hey Jan! Can your amazingly awesome Jazz and Classic amps drive this headphone?"

:)

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #9,463 of 10,994
Mine is 20XXX. But it looks like the old one 
cool.gif

@iGrenade is it your T1 or have you gotten the pic from web?
Has the change officially approved?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back