The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 6, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #9,272 of 10,994
  What setup provides the T1 maximum huge soundstage( esp. vertically) ..
Amps or amps in particular combination of Dacs

Not sure if its maximum or not but the largest and most pin point accurate for me has been the Bottlehead Sex which had been fitted with Mundorf supreme silver oil capacitors. Spatiality wise its the best I have experianced with the T1. 

Jul 6, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #9,274 of 10,994
How big is T1's soundstage when compared to HD800's?
80%?90% as big?

That's a tough question. How do you put a percentage on it? I mean, if the HD800 represents "100%" than what is 0%? I'm going to try to answer, since I own both, but I'm sure there's going to be a lot of disagreement! 

DEPTH - I'd say the T1 has equal or greater depth compared to the HD800. More than any other headphone I've tried, the music really seems way out in front of you with the T1. Honestly, IMO, it's the T1's most impressive characteristic. If HD800's depth is rated at 100%, I'd say the T1 is maybe 110% - it's just a touch more.

HEIGHT - The height is really good here, but the HD800 seems to do a little more with the vertical space. The images in the HD800 seem to be larger and taller compared to the T1. That being said, different sound images stack & layer well within the T1's vertical space. I'd say 85% is fair. If I'm comparing it to TVs, the T1 is like watching it on a 42" TV and the HD800 is like watching it on a 50" TV. Neither one has a better picture, the images are just larger on the 50". YMMV, of course, especially since we didn't really define what 0% is.

WIDTH - The HD800 is incredibly wide. The T1 is more like "well above average". I'd say the 85% is about right here too, depending on your basis for comparison. Much like I said with the height, the sound images stack and layer well horizontally, as well. The space, though a bit smaller physically, is incredibly well used on the T1. Sound images have a very specific, well-defined spot in the soundstage. The incredible depth seems to have an effect here, as the music is coming from in front of you more with the T1, rather than all around you with the HD800. The angled drivers make it different by design, which obscures the comparison a little bit.

So, TL;DR version (or summary for those keeping score), the T1's soundstage is 93.333% the size of the HD800's. IMO, YMMV, etc. :)

Jul 6, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #9,275 of 10,994
Thanks! excellent post 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #9,276 of 10,994
  What setup provides the T1 maximum huge soundstage( esp. vertically) & great airy qualities..

I find my T1 (late s/n) has the tallest and deepest soundstage of any of my headphones when ran through my normal chain (in sig.) using the Phillips Miniwatt SQ tubes ('69). 

Jul 6, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #9,277 of 10,994
  What setup provides the T1 maximum huge soundstage( esp. vertically) & great airy qualities..

You should check out Darrin Fong's "Out of Your Head" software. It simulates different speaker setups in your headphones for an experience that is truly, truly weird. You'll definitely take your headphones off to check if your speakers are on! Anyway, I've found the T1 to be the best match for it, out of all the headphones I've tried. It definitely ups your soundstage game to a new level.

There are pre-rendered demo videos here: https://fongaudio.com/demo/

Jul 6, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #9,279 of 10,994

That's a tough question. How do you put a percentage on it? I mean, if the HD800 represents "100%" than what is 0%? I'm going to try to answer, since I own both, but I'm sure there's going to be a lot of disagreement! 

DEPTH - I'd say the T1 has equal or greater depth compared to the HD800. More than any other headphone I've tried, the music really seems way out in front of you with the T1. Honestly, IMO, it's the T1's most impressive characteristic. If HD800's depth is rated at 100%, I'd say the T1 is maybe 110% - it's just a touch more.

HEIGHT - The height is really good here, but the HD800 seems to do a little more with the vertical space. The images in the HD800 seem to be larger and taller compared to the T1. That being said, different sound images stack & layer well within the T1's vertical space. I'd say 85% is fair. If I'm comparing it to TVs, the T1 is like watching it on a 42" TV and the HD800 is like watching it on a 50" TV. Neither one has a better picture, the images are just larger on the 50". YMMV, of course, especially since we didn't really define what 0% is.

WIDTH - The HD800 is incredibly wide. The T1 is more like "well above average". I'd say the 85% is about right here too, depending on your basis for comparison. Much like I said with the height, the sound images stack and layer well horizontally, as well. The space, though a bit smaller physically, is incredibly well used on the T1. Sound images have a very specific, well-defined spot in the soundstage. The incredible depth seems to have an effect here, as the music is coming from in front of you more with the T1, rather than all around you with the HD800. The angled drivers make it different by design, which obscures the comparison a little bit.

So, TL;DR version (or summary for those keeping score), the T1's soundstage is 93.333% the size of the HD800's. IMO, YMMV, etc. :)

Nice post I have both as well totally agree and wanted to add the thing to remember here is the T1 definitely holds its own in this area against more expensive cans. When it comes to soundstage its separation and pin point accuracy is top class. Unless you have heard the HD800 on a totl amp dac rig your not going to know your missing that last couple of percent in resolution and sound staging . Its one of the T1's strongest points.

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #9,280 of 10,994
So, I bought a T1 that was on demo in a store (though im not sure how long, but it looks brand new).
pretty much the "best" headphones I've worn so far, though this is first pair of beyer I bought (asides from many sennheisers like HD650/HD700). It's kinda sad that this TOTL doesn't come with detachable cable, which kinda sucks... having tangled 10 feet cable looks pretty funny imo.
hoping to write review soon enough, because I was being a lazy slack on head-fi for few weeks

Jul 8, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #9,281 of 10,994
John Grandberg on the T1:
http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/07/04/review-beyerdynamic-t-1-headphone/

I can relate to most of his points actually

One thing I CANT relate to is all the dandruff or whatever that is on his T1 pads...good LORD man...clean those things!  

Anyway, on a side note, I want to give praise to my beloved T1s for going over THREE YEARS as my clear comfort champion. One of the biggest barriers for me with headphones when I first started dabbling on this side of the audio hobby back in late 2011 pertains to comfort - and I know many of you feel the same way. The T1s were the first headphones I owned where I felt like I could wear them all day long. I still feel that way today. That being said, and as much as I hate to admit it, the HifiMan HE-400i is now the first headphone to not only play in the same sandbox as the T1 for me, but also slightly pull ahead in terms of overall comfort. Unfortunately they fall quite a bit short in terms of sonics compared to the T1s (to my ears), but I fancy myself an honest consumer and I have to give credit where credit is due - the HE-400i is a DAMN comfortable headphone. 

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #9,282 of 10,994

You should check out Darrin Fong's "Out of Your Head" software. It simulates different speaker setups in your headphones for an experience that is truly, truly weird. You'll definitely take your headphones off to check if your speakers are on! Anyway, I've found the T1 to be the best match for it, out of all the headphones I've tried. It definitely ups your soundstage game to a new level.

There are pre-rendered demo videos here: https://fongaudio.com/demo/

I don't like that at all, I mean, it's not horrible,  but I don't see why anyone would pay 75 dollars for something you get for free with pretty much any sound card on the market and many surround software processing addons for foobar or jriver, like TBIsone, which is superior at making stereo recordings sound like you're listening to speakers even with stock presets, let alone after fiddling with the millions of settings it has for a while. And to be honest, my old Asus Essence ST card in the gaming PC does a far better job with surround sound than this software, this just makes 7.1 sound echoy and too distant, makes the T1's sound like a bad surround system in a cheap cinema theater.

EDIT: Actually I take it back, it does sound horrible. Whoa, some of those speakers in the preset are freaking horrible.

Jul 8, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #9,283 of 10,994
I'm not sure if I should get the T1 or Audeze LCD 2. I mostly listen to rock and classical. Really like a clean acoustic record too. Any pointers which headphone would suit the best? I'm planning on a Little Dot mk vi as amp.

Jul 8, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #9,284 of 10,994
I'm not sure if I should get the T1 or Audeze LCD 2. I mostly listen to rock and classical. Really like a clean acoustic record too. Any pointers which headphone would suit the best? I'm planning on a Little Dot mk vi as amp.

Definitely T1 for that music and that amp.

Jul 8, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #9,285 of 10,994

Easy!

Get the T1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back