The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 17, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #9,301 of 10,994
Yes, break in on headphones and speakers is actually a real, measurable thing. A lot of the time it might be so slight you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in an A/B test, but anything that moves back and forth will wear in, even if it's ever so slightly. 

I finally got a chance to audition some Audezes a little while ago and I have to admit I really didn't like them. I was comparing them to the HD800s and they just felt... slow and thick or something. Granted I didn't get to try them for very long, but I found them pretty disappointing. I haven't heard a T1 in a few years but the DT880 has always been my fave headphone. I really dig the Bayer sound so I don't think I'll be disappointed.

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #9,302 of 10,994
Not true, all mechanical devices "break in", always improving is the possible myth.

Of course, not trying to go against the second law of thermodynamics.

I'm talking about 'burn-in' the way it's normally conceived around here.
(you know, after receiving your new headphones you need to put them somewhere and play music or even noise for hours, even days, and then -only then- you'll hear them the way they are)

'Bass become fuller'
'Treble become smoother'
'They've opened up'
'Much better dynamics'

Myth...

You know what I mean.

It's even really hard to measure differences caused by burn-in because they tend to be so subtle (or non existent) that placement and pads burn-in normally have a bigger impact on sound.

For the sake of practicality, I think the best one can do with new headphones is just use them, have fun.

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #9,303 of 10,994
Bought a pair of LCD-2 Fazor and used them exclusively for the last 5 weeks.  Totally enjoyed them except the comfort level is questionable.

Went back to the T1 last night. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the Audeze for listening to my average or poorly recorded music (think popular music etc) or for cranking the volume but the good stuff is better suited for the T1.

I have a lot of pop music from my youth that I want to keep enjoying, so the Audeze are probably sticking around.

Jul 18, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #9,304 of 10,994
I just got this Massdrop and can't believe the T-1 price:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/beyerdynamic-t1?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Community%20-%20Audiophile%20-%20MAU%20%28Active%29&utm_campaign=Audiophile%20A%20Product%20Announcement%202015-07-18&utm_content=B&mode=guest_open&referer=WTE7PU

Jul 19, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #9,305 of 10,994
Sorry if this has been asked before, 

Anyone know the costs to get a driver fixed? Think my right-side driver is faulty. Using a WA6-SE and have swapped out the tubes, changed them left-right, and still it's only my right-ear driver that has this odd ringing noise when audio is playing. 

Cheers for any help this group can provide, I love my T1's 
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #9,306 of 10,994
Damn, the $650 I paid off eBay for a gently used T1 doesn't seem like such a good deal now just a month later although they were already burned in! :) I am kind of stuck on getting an amp for it though. My Denon 3312ci drives the T1 just fine so I don't think I need a desktop amp but I would like to use the T1's with my iPhone 6S and laptop for semi-portable use meaning around the house. I keep going back to the JDS Labs C5D but the limited power worries me a little. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave  

Jul 20, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #9,308 of 10,994
  I just got this Massdrop and can't believe the T-1 price:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/beyerdynamic-t1?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Community%20-%20Audiophile%20-%20MAU%20%28Active%29&utm_campaign=Audiophile%20A%20Product%20Announcement%202015-07-18&utm_content=B&mode=guest_open&referer=WTE7PU

$780 a good price?

Jul 20, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #9,309 of 10,994
Yes... about the best I've seen.  I jumped in at 850 and have no regrets.

*Non auction site price

Jul 20, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #9,310 of 10,994
  Just came across a deal on these: brand new on ebay from authorized dealer - $670.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281737237431?rmvSB=true

PS. I am not the seller - just saw'em on my deals feed.

Sorry for the back to back posts but I ran this seller by the beyerdynamic website and it doesn't check out.  Taking a warranty gamble on this one if anyone jumps on it.

Jul 20, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #9,312 of 10,994
  You are right. I haven't checked that.

It's a habit I got into a while back, almost all manufacturers will list authorized resellers on their website.  Hope you didn't feel like I was calling you out, just trying to keep sellers on Ebay honest!

Jul 21, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #9,313 of 10,994
Just bought a pair of the T1 from ebay :)
Can't wait to get them. These have been a goal of mine for a long time.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for an affordable amp that goes well with the T1?
I only have the Fiio E11 right now (which I doubt will power the T1 anywhere near sufficiently).
I'm looking at the under 200 price range, and was thinking about the O2, since I've heard it can power it decently.
I'll be getting a better one in the future, but I don't wanna get too crazy after the purchase of the headphones themselves. 

Jul 21, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #9,314 of 10,994

Does anyone have a good recommendation for an affordable amp that goes well with the T1?
I only have the Fiio E11 right now (which I doubt will power the T1 anywhere near sufficiently).
I'm looking at the under 200 price range, and was thinking about the O2, since I've heard it can power it decently.
I'll be getting a better one in the future, but I don't wanna get too crazy after the purchase of the headphones themselves. 

The O2 can output 88mW at 600 ohms, the T1 can handle up to 300mW.  I've always followed the rule of thumb that it's a safe bet to have at least half of maximum power handling ability on tap to ensure enough dynamic headroom.  If you are a low volume listener it may be sufficient but I would recommend something with a little more power (for my tastes).  Your more likely to damage your gear driving a low power amp hard then a high power amp at a lower level.  I've been eyeing the Magni 2 Uber or Asgard 2 for a solid state bedroom option.  Both of which have significantly more power available at 600 ohms.

Magni 2 Uber

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-250KHz, -3dB

Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 2.1W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.5W RMS per channel

Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.2W RMS per channel

Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 320mW RMS per channel

Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 160mW RMS per channel

Asgard 2
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-400KHz, -3dB
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 380mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 190mW RMS per channel

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #9,315 of 10,994

"I don't want to get too crazy after the purchase of the headphones" ... I've said that before, lol! You're going to own like, 10 amps some day, my friend! I've learned it's better to pay once and be done with it. You'll save a lot of money that way. Just my two cents.

But since you ask... the O2 sounds pretty darn good with the T1. It's punchy and clean and it can get plenty loud. However, I think there are better options available to you, if you're smart with your money. The For Sale/Trade forum actually has some really good options right now:

This guy is seller with +20 positive feedback. He has an Asgard 2 with shipping and Paypal included for $195:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/774489/schiit-asgard-2

Here are a couple of options that cost a little more, may help delay your upgradeitis for a bit:

Here's a dude with +36 positive feedback selling a barely used Valhalla 2 for $300:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/754017/mint-schiit-valhalla-2

And here's a Bottlehead Crack with shipping and Paypal included for $340:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/772308/bottlehead-crack

... Those amps will be a little more now, but they'll probably end up saving you money in the long run. Also, I don't know any of these sellers, I'm just telling you the deals I'd be looking at if I were in your shoes, based on my experience. I will say... generally speaking, I've found Head-Fi traders are about a million times easier to deal with than Ebay sellers!

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back