The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 26, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #6,857 of 10,994
Ouch... not sure I want that... the whole point for me is the stock cable is way to fat and heavy.  The T1 has a light sound with lots of air and I want it to feel light as well.  Perhaps I should chenge them to using the same connector as the AlphaDogs instead and see if Q-Audio can do me up one of those instead.  Or maybe just hard wire the Q-Audio direct and save the bulk and weight of the connectors.  But yeah I also wanted to be able to disconnect the wire incase I needed to replace them.

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #6,858 of 10,994
  Ouch... not sure I want that... the whole point for me is the stock cable is way to fat and heavy.  The T1 has a light sound with lots of air and I want it to feel light as well.  Perhaps I should chenge them to using the same connector as the AlphaDogs instead and see if Q-Audio can do me up one of those instead.  Or maybe just hard wire the Q-Audio direct and save the bulk and weight of the connectors.  But yeah I also wanted to be able to disconnect the wire incase I needed to replace them.

this is just my opinion: the headphone hardwired is light.
with connector is more heavy and there are too many connections
driver»cable»female connector»male connector»cable.
i had/have two T1, one with stock cable and one with up-occ pure copper.
with the aftermarket cable is better(detail and transparence)but is always a beyer T1.
i think that the silver cable is not a good option.
i tried some up-occ 7N cables(litz or multifilament)in the past and i think that the performances are similar.
i don´t advise any brand but the copper of moon-audio black/blue dragon has a fantastic quality

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #6,859 of 10,994

this is just my opinion: the headphone hardwired is light.
with connector is more heavy and there are too many connections
driver»cable»female connector»male connector»cable.
i had/have two T1, one with stock cable and one with up-occ pure copper.
with the aftermarket cable is better(detail and transparence)but is always a beyer T1.
i think that the silver cable is not a good option.
i tried some up-occ 7N cables(litz or multifilament)in the past and i think that the performances are similar.
i don´t advise any brand but the copper of moon-audio black/blue dragon has a fantastic quality

I have made cables with mini xlr's, so all are detachable, no extra weight noticed.  I even put mini xlr's on the stock cable and cut it back to five feet, just for comparison.  I have six headphones and ten different cables, each different wire.  Pure silver wire sounds great on my T1, but it is DoubleHelixCables, Pure silver litz.  The DHC pure silver litz is very smooth and detailed, never harsh, with a great low end....I even use it on my DT880 600 ohm, very smooth there as well, with a lot better low end than the stock cable.  I do think different cables sound can be distinguished from one another, but a lot of that depends on the quality of the rest of your setup.  The cable that I listen to the most is my ALO Audio pure copper 8 wire.  I have the Moon Black Dragon, and I think it is very close to the stock T1 cable in sound on my setup.  The ALO Audio cable that I DIY, if more detailed, yet smooth throughout, but the soundstage, imaging and openness is fantastic.....my vote for the T!, IMO!

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #6,860 of 10,994

It doesn't add much weight. It frees you to customize cable/termination. I have separate cables (DIY) for balanced and single-ended.

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #6,862 of 10,994
  why put more things in the path to the drivers?

Why not? You worry about cables when there are already many hops in the electronics (source/amp) before the signal runs through the cable to drivers. As long as it's properly done, their is no audible difference.

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #6,863 of 10,994

I have made cables with mini xlr's, so all are detachable, no extra weight noticed.  I even put mini xlr's on the stock cable and cut it back to five feet, just for comparison.  I have six headphones and ten different cables, each different wire.  Pure silver wire sounds great on my T1, but it is DoubleHelixCables, Pure silver litz.  The DHC pure silver litz is very smooth and detailed, never harsh, with a great low end....I even use it on my DT880 600 ohm, very smooth there as well, with a lot better low end than the stock cable.  I do think different cables sound can be distinguished from one another, but a lot of that depends on the quality of the rest of your setup.  The cable that I listen to the most is my ALO Audio pure copper 8 wire.  I have the Moon Black Dragon, and I think it is very close to the stock T1 cable in sound on my setup.  The ALO Audio cable that I DIY, if more detailed, yet smooth throughout, but the soundstage, imaging and openness is fantastic.....my vote for the T!, IMO!

in my rig the black dragon sounds different compared to the stock.
not huge different but i prefere the black dragon.
about alo and dhc, this cable are in a much more high end price.
if you say that the silver is good for the T1, i believe you.
for me the T1 is already bright

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #6,864 of 10,994

in my rig the black dragon sounds different compared to the stock.
not huge different but i prefere the black dragon.
about alo and dhc, this cable are in a much more high end price.
if you say that the silver is good for the T1, i believe you.
for me the T1 is already bright

The DHC Silver Peptide Litz is neither bright nor harsh, those adjectives may apply to silver plated copper though.  The DHC silver Peptide Litz cable is very smooth, with extended highs, lots of detail, low end, big soundstage with excellent imaging and a holographic sound.  It needs to be heard to be appreciated....but it elevates the T1 to a new level with the proper gears!  I have used the stock T1 cable that I modded with detachable mini xlr's, on my DT880 600 ohm, and you would be surprised how much the stock T1 makes the DT880 sound very close to the T1!

With the T!, being a high end headphone, it deserves a high end cable!

Feb 26, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #6,866 of 10,994
Do I need a new amp for mt T1s, or a complementary set of headphones?

Have put about 100 hours onto my T1s (Serial No. 15...) and am really enjoying the presentation of classical (baroque, renaissance etc), jazz and some rock.  However, I am finding the sound a little harsh for certain recordings (such as "Grace" by Jeff Buckley and certain tracks from "In Absentia" by Procupine Tree). 

At present I am running The T1s from a Meier Audio Corda Concerto fed by a Yulong D100 II with my iBasso DX100 as transport. 

How best do you think I should spend my hard earned to overcome this issue?

1. Get a nice tube amp, such as the WA2 or Bottlehead Mainline
2. Get a complementary set of cans (LCD 2.2 perhaps)
3. Go back to my Crack + T90 combo
4. Something else

I love the resolution and soundstage of the T1s, but am missing some bass presence (not extension) that I heard in my T90 combo. 

What do you think?  Have a remaining budget of about $1,200 this year for audio.

Cheers

Nathan

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #6,867 of 10,994
  Do I need a new amp for mt T1s, or a complementary set of headphones?

Have put about 100 hours onto my T1s (Serial No. 15...) and am really enjoying the presentation of classical (baroque, renaissance etc), jazz and some rock.  However, I am finding the sound a little harsh for certain recordings (such as "Grace" by Jeff Buckley and certain tracks from "In Absentia" by Procupine Tree). 

At present I am running The T1s from a Meier Audio Corda Concerto fed by a Yulong D100 II with my iBasso DX100 as transport. 

How best do you think I should spend my hard earned to overcome this issue?

1. Get a nice tube amp, such as the WA2 or Bottlehead Mainline
2. Get a complementary set of cans (LCD 2.2 perhaps)
3. Go back to my Crack + T90 combo
4. Something else

I love the resolution and soundstage of the T1s, but am missing some bass presence (not extension) that I heard in my T90 combo. 

What do you think?  Have a remaining budget of about $1,200 this year for audio.

Cheers

Nathan

I read this and went straight my rig to try Grace on the Mainline. It is actually a slightly fatiguing track I think because there's lots of treble activity and energy with all of the strumming textures, cymbal splashes, etc. There's also a bit of sibilance on the vocals too. I don't have any Porcupine Tree to try unfortunately.

FWIW, the Mainline is the best combination of smoothness and resolution I can think of if you want to keep the T1s performing at their peak, but also take the edge off a fraction. Alternatively, a relaxed set of headphones might be an equally interesting proposition given that the Meier Audio gear has a good reputation with the T1s and the rest of your chain is really solid. My (secondhand) HE-500s have just arrived so I'll let you know if they're a nice compliment, but I think LCD-2s might be a better option as a smoother version of the T1s in many ways.

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #6,868 of 10,994
The T1 needs a decent amp.

How about using the AlphaDog style terminations instead of miniXLR?  I remember those were both smaller and easier to connect/disconnect.  What I don't like is that fat plastic block between the T1 and the connector.  Just looks off especially with such large miniXLR connectors going into it.

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #6,869 of 10,994
I just purchased the T1 today and I'm thoroughly enjoying how it sounds when driven solely by my WA7 dac/amp (using stock Sovtek? tubes). At this early stage, I have noticed a few things:

- a smallish sound stage
- slightly recessed mids
- abit of harshness with sibilant recordings

AFAIK the WA7 is not the ideal source/amp for the T1, so I was wondering if a better upstream setup would help with the above nitpicks I'm finding? For example, would a better setup improve the soundstage, bring the vocals forward a tad more, and ease the harshness of sibilant recordings?

If so, is there a general consensus here as to the best setup for the T1? I assume it would probably involve the WA2 and a decent DAC? 

I'm also wondering if anybody out there has gone from the T1+WA7 combo to a better T1 combo, and if it was worth the upgrade? 

Lastly, just want to say that the T1 are the most enjoyable cans I have heard to date - much better for my personal tastes than my previously owned HD800 and LCD2.2. My only regret is that I didn't discover the T1 sooner!

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #6,870 of 10,994
  I just purchased the T1 today and I'm thoroughly enjoying how it sounds when driven solely by my WA7 dac/amp (using stock Sovtek? tubes). At this early stage, I have noticed a few things:

- a smallish sound stage
- slightly recessed mids
- abit of harshness with sibilant recordings

AFAIK the WA7 is not the ideal source/amp for the T1, so I was wondering if a better upstream setup would help with the above nitpicks I'm finding? For example, would a better setup improve the soundstage, bring the vocals forward a tad more, and ease the harshness of sibilant recordings?

If so, is there a general consensus here as to the best setup for the T1? I assume it would probably involve the WA2 and a decent DAC? 

I'm also wondering if anybody out there has gone from the T1+WA7 combo to a better T1 combo, and if it was worth the upgrade? 

Lastly, just want to say that the T1 are the most enjoyable cans I have heard to date - much better for my personal tastes than my previously owned HD800 and LCD2.2. My only regret is that I didn't discover the T1 sooner!

As for your question about better setups, yes to the improved soundstage and reduced harshness (depending on the amp you choose). Not sure about the mids because I don't know the sound of the WA7's onboard amp.

WA2 certainly seems a popular choice, but I haven't heard it myself. Any of the Bottlehead amps are also a good option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back