The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 4, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #5,657 of 10,994

OK what is it?

I've been wanting to get a planar headphone since I first started up with this side of the hobby about two years ago...just always been something that came up that prevented me from pulling the trigger. But I'll have some Audez'e LCD-2s in here on Monday. I think they'll be a great complement to my T1s and Grados, cause most of my phones are neutral-to-bright. I don't have anything that is neutral-to-dark, so this should fit well. 

I talked with Jan about it a few weeks ago and he said his gear does great with the LCDs...looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about. 

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #5,658 of 10,994

I've been wanting to get a planar headphone since I first started up with this side of the hobby about two years ago...just always been something that came up that prevented me from pulling the trigger. But I'll have some Audez'e LCD-2s in here on Monday. I think they'll be a great complement to my T1s and Grados, cause most of my phones are neutral-to-bright. I don't have anything that is neutral-to-dark, so this should fit well. 

I talked with Jan about it a few weeks ago and he said his gear does great with the LCDs...looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about. 

I have great respect for David Mahler and he says those HP's are a step above the T1's. I'll be interested in your feedback.

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #5,659 of 10,994

I have great respect for David Mahler and he says those HP's are a step above the T1's. I'll be interested in your feedback.

I'll be interested too! lol  I've heard quite a wide range of opinions on them, so I'm eager to give them a go. 

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #5,660 of 10,994

what the audeze's?

Oct 5, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #5,661 of 10,994
I've gone a similar path with the LCD2.2, T1, TH900 all being different and complimentary. The LCD2 is very different, I hope you enjoy the unique sound they possess.

I had a scare with me T1 today. I took the ring out that holds the driver in to get a bit of residue out of them (dust/hair) and stupidly I had in on its sise and the driver fell out sideways (must have pried the plastic housing out with the ring). I got it back in place and was really freaked out. Turned the amp on and plugged them in to see if they were ok, pure distorted noise. Luckily I saw that the laptop was freezing up due to a update incoming. Restart, turn amp on again, plug in and no changes in sound. Thank god.

Oct 5, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #5,662 of 10,994
  I've gone a similar path with the LCD2.2, T1, TH900 all being different and complimentary. The LCD2 is very different, I hope you enjoy the unique sound they possess.

I had a scare with me T1 today. I took the ring out that holds the driver in to get a bit of residue out of them (dust/hair) and stupidly I had in on its sise and the driver fell out sideways (must have pried the plastic housing out with the ring). I got it back in place and was really freaked out. Turned the amp on and plugged them in to see if they were ok, pure distorted noise. Luckily I saw that the laptop was freezing up due to a update incoming. Restart, turn amp on again, plug in and no changes in sound. Thank god.

Wow. Glad they're OK.

Isn't that weird that something random like the laptop freezing happens to create the symptoms of the very thing we're freaking out about at the same time!?

Does that last sentence make sense? 
confused_face(1).gif

Oct 5, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #5,663 of 10,994

Wow. Glad they're OK.

Isn't that weird that something random like the laptop freezing happens to create the symptoms of the very thing we're freaking out about at the same time!?

Does that last sentence make sense? 
confused_face(1).gif

Yep it made sense. I've just had the same thing happen with the laptop again now, might have to leave it off for a while. But yeah on second listen distortion sounds a lot like digital problems/glitching, not typical crackling or any of that.

Oct 5, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #5,664 of 10,994

First of all, glad your T1s are ok! lol

That's a nice group of phones you have there! I've had a couple people ask my why I'm getting rid of my T1s for the LCDs...just to clarify, I'm not getting rid of my T1s...I love them!! I just want them to have friends :)

Oct 6, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #5,665 of 10,994
Anyone got their T1 modded to accept aftermarket cables?  I was considering having moon audio modify mine to accept hd 800 connectors and I'd use my toxic cables silver widow cables with them.  Anyone else mods T1?  I read an article about Alo Audio modded T1 but I can't find any info on this on their site.

Oct 6, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #5,666 of 10,994
  Anyone got their T1 modded to accept aftermarket cables?  I was considering having moon audio modify mine to accept hd 800 connectors and I'd use my toxic cables silver widow cables with them.  Anyone else mods T1?  I read an article about Alo Audio modded T1 but I can't find any info on this on their site.

As far as i know there are only one or 2 licensed to do that or you risk voiding he guarantee, not too sure who is though it was menioned on this thread a while back. 

Oct 7, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #5,669 of 10,994

Was the mod worth it to you? And the guarantee is only good for 2 years although I'm not sure beyerdynamic would like to repair modded headphones even out of warranty.  

I had them hard wired with Black Dragons terminated with 4 pin XLR....I have moved to balanced and the Black Dragons seem to tame the top somewhat and help the bottom.....bottom line is I am very pleased that I had it done.....they do a great job by the way

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #5,670 of 10,994

T1 is a very good headphone, but the diameter of the ear-pads are to small for me

<snip>

+1 they are slso slightly too small for me. I would prefer if the pads did not touch my ears at all

<snip>  
I totally agree they are just slightly too small.....

<snip>

You guys must have large ears !!! 
wink_face.gif

I never believed that well made wire would make a difference but I really don't understand the need for balanced on headphones?????  Runs are short and never saw any data that supported that there was an audible difference.....  oh well, ymmv... 
eek.gif

I had them hard wired with Black Dragons terminated with 4 pin XLR....I have moved to balanced and the Black Dragons seem to tame the top somewhat and help the bottom.....bottom line is I am very pleased that I had it done.....they do a great job by the way

Not starting a cable discussion but I'm not sure how it would tame the top or help the bottom. In any event it's an impressive looking cable.... 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back