The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 30, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #4,966 of 10,994
I'm typically a tube guy, so I say go for tubes. But at the same time, I'm completely smitten by the efforts of Jan Meier and his classic/daccord combo and it leaves me wanting for nothing (which is obviously hard to do!)...so I say....get the STACK!!  Errr, wait....get BOTH!  Okay, that's not really feasible...how bout this....get EITHER :)   Honestly, I've heard enough people I trust say that the Woo gear is stellar with the T1s that I have no doubt you'd be very happy with either decision. 

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #4,967 of 10,994
i used to slot a tube amp in between a stagedac and a concerto. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #4,968 of 10,994
Quote:
Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't the tube upgrades for the WA7 cheap and i don't think there are even that many. 

How cheap are those tubes?  I'm serious I paid >$100 for a 12AX7 (a lower end tube) vintage Telefunken.

For a change of pace I may go for the WA 2 in the future to combine with the Daccord.  I'll go Classic for 30min so my tubes can warm up and then swap out for the tube amp.

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #4,969 of 10,994
Quote:
i used to slot a tube amp in between a stagedac and a concerto. 
tongue_smile.gif

LOL!

Once I upgrade the tubes in my Grant Fidelity buffer I'm goign to play around with it in the same manner....just cause it's fun :)

Jul 31, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #4,970 of 10,994
Quote:
Anyone tried pairing the T1 with Fostex HP-A8C to know if the combination is any good?

I did not find any other reference to the HP-A8 in this thread. Did no one try this combination yet?
I'm yet again considering a T1, but did not like the HP-A8 / T5p pairing that much, the T5p sounded quite lackluster and missed that tiny bit of warmth it had with a Lake People G109.

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #4,971 of 10,994
Just brought a T1 from the for sale section. Oh god I'm loving Classical with these thus far. About to watch some game of thrones, I expect the pretty large soundstage will be pretty great on this front/let alone the high detail level. So far quite enjoyable for heavy metal and rock music as well. Will try some electronic eventually.

The T1 and LCD2 will battle for supremacy for my main headphone. We will see after the honeymoon period.

Jul 31, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #4,972 of 10,994
Greetings to all

Relatively new head-fier here, so please be gentle.  As a recently new owner of the T1 I've ended up pairing it with the (unmodded) centrance Dacmini. I've read all over that T1 is not a terribly hard set to drive, but this amp has to be set nearly 3 o'clock on the dial before I get decent levels (say around 75 dBSPL-like levels which is what I prefer to listen at). Once there, it feels silghtly "oozy" to me -- as in it's all there but not as direct as I thought it would be. No audible distortion, mind you, just "oozy". In principle, the dacmini has got plenty of overhead to drive this kind of impedance, but I somehow got the impression the T1 should sound a bit tighter then it does.  I was wondering if the strong dial setting is any indicator of mismatch. Is there is anyone here with a similar set up and can comment on this pairing.

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #4,973 of 10,994
T1 needs tubes or really good SS to sound its best

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #4,974 of 10,994
I've been living with the burson soloist SL and like how it sounds with the T1. Large and wide soundstage with a mature delivery of treble, though overall more slower, less attacking and less extended in the highs and lows than my graham slee diamond.

Both sound very good with the T1 (much better than the 02 for example) and both are solid state amps.  

Actually the burson and the graham slee - the latter especially - were advertised as being solid state amps with a smooth sound signature and that's what the T1 really needs I guess.

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #4,975 of 10,994
Jul 31, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #4,977 of 10,994
Well just got my T1 minutes ago. My first truly high end can (all others listed below).

And, well, right off, like after ten seconds of listening, I found them dark! Mind you I'm coming from the Shure 940's which have been my main can for a year or so, but the lower mids sound dark, even resonancy. I immediately switched from my HF-1 to M Stage (but I will be switching around between the two before I decide) to get rid of any warmth (muddiness).

But...I can definitely tell these are the superior headphone to all I have owned heard, just a more sophisticated and nuanced/subtle sound with more realism than I've heard from a can (I'm really hearing a lot of air/separation around the instruments...they remind me of a great speaker in that way). And I'm well aware that I can just be adjusting from the artificial bright/leaness of the 940s. Also there are highs here, even sibilance (I'm currently listening to bright/fast rock and pop...many test songs); it's just that there's something about the lower mids I'm not liking...yet (probably 10 minutes after I post this I will have adjusted to the different sound!). Everything else is great to impressive though...and it's nice to have some bass again!

It's going to, of course, take me days/weeks to fully absorb these (what is referred to as burn in which is all psycho acoustic) with dozens of genres and hundreds of songs a process I'll surely enjoy.

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #4,978 of 10,994
T1 definitely need burn in, also what amp you have for them?

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #4,979 of 10,994
I haven't heard a speaker that I prefer to the T1's yet but in saying that i have not heard a speaker that costs more than $3,000. In September i will get to hear 20,000 dollar electro-static speakers. I wonder how the WA2/T1 will hold up in that fight. 

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #4,980 of 10,994
Quote:
I've been living with the burson soloist SL and like how it sounds with the T1. Large and wide soundstage with a mature delivery of treble, though overall more slower, less attacking and less extended in the highs and lows than my graham slee diamond.

Both sound very good with the T1 (much better than the 02 for example) and both are solid state amps.  

Actually the burson and the graham slee - the latter especially - were advertised as being solid state amps with a smooth sound signature and that's what the T1 really needs I guess.

Wow, those are some beautiful amps you got there! I was looking into the Graham Slee amp a few months ago...heard lots of people say it sounded almost tube-like even though it was SS. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back