The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 19, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #3,961 of 10,994
Quote:

What was the other headphones that bit the dust?

I went through these HPs:
Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser HD280
Sennheiser Momentum
V-Moda M80
V-Moda M100
HifiMan HE-500
AKG K550
SoundMagic HP100
Sony MDR-1R
Grado 325IS
BeyerDynamic DT1350
BeyerDynamic DT800 Premium 600 ohm
Denon D600
Audio-Technica M50
Audio-Technica A900x
Bose AE2
Philips Fidelio L1

So--- yes the Beyerdynamic T1 and T5p headphones are the most expensive (by far...)   Most headphones in the list actually sound good by themselves (When I am not doing a A/B comparison) Every time I did comparison between them, the T1 and T5p won out.   I had about 5 people in my office one night and we were all listing to all of the above headphones... almost everyone had the same conclusion as me... although 1 guy liked the Denon's the best...but he is a basshead.

I was able to sell most headphones I bought to others in the office, so I am happy that overall we were able to upgrade a lot of people's HPs!

Edited to add the Philips Fidelio L1

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #3,962 of 10,994
Quote:
I went through these HPs:
Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser HD280
Sennheiser Momentum
V-Moda M80
V-Moda M100
HifiMan HE-500
AKG K550
SoundMagic HP100
Sony MDR-1R
Grado 325IS
BeyerDynamic DT1350
BeyerDynamic DT800 Premium 600 ohm
Denon D600
Audio-Technica M50
Audio-Technica A900x
Bose AE2

So--- yes the Beyerdynamic T1 and T5p headphones are the most expensive (by far...)   Most headphones in the list actually sound good by themselves (When I am not doing a A/B comparison) Every time I did comparison between them, the T1 and T5p won out.   I had about 5 people in my office one night and we were all listing to all of the above headphones... almost everyone had the same conclusion as me... although 1 guy liked the Denon's the best...but he is a basshead.

I was able to sell most headphones I bought to others in the office, so I am happy that overall we were able to upgrade a lot of people's HPs!

This is quite a list, you must have a big office to sell them all
biggrin.gif

How would you compare DT880 600 Ohm and T1?

Thanks in advance

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #3,963 of 10,994
Looks like the HE-500 is the closest competitor to the T1 on that list. I also feel that the T1 are better.

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #3,964 of 10,994
Quote:
Looks like the HE-500 is the closest competitor to the T1 on that list. I also feel that the T1 are better.

I agree... they sounded very similar to me. I found the T1 to be more comfortable...  To my untrained ear (while doing A/B comparasins) I liked the T1 a bit better. Based on sound alone, I would have been happy with either.

The HE500s are also HUGE... like big ole Cinnamon rolls hanging off my head... I also didn't care for the silver cable that ships with the HE-500... way to stiff and it would transmit sound to the headphones anytime it would move/rub on my desk.

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #3,965 of 10,994
Quote:
This is quite a list, you must have a big office to sell them all
biggrin.gif

How would you compare DT880 600 Ohm and T1?

Thanks in advance

I wish I would have taken better notes when I was comparing all of the headphones. I have done so many comparisons that all I can say is when I was comparing them back and forth,  I liked the T1 better.

Just FYI: I was listening to the following types of music when comparing:
70s/80s Rock; Alternative Rock; Pop; Country... basically lots of stuff (I didn't listen to Rap/Heavy Metal/Classical/Electronic/DubStep...)

I started this whole experiment with Sennheiser HD280 pros  (using them for the last year...) Then a friend of mine got Audio-Technica M50s; then I started reading Head-Fi...and it all went downhill from there...

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #3,966 of 10,994
So I finally got mine Tesla One today ...

And decided to share some of my impressions ...

Listening to Omega Lithium - Hollow March with slight EQ 
biggrin.gif

Friday is perfect time to get new headphones 
tongue_smile.gif
 Whole  weekend ahead :)

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #3,967 of 10,994
Quote:
I agree... they sounded very similar to me. I found the T1 to be more comfortable...  To my untrained ear (while doing A/B comparasins) I liked the T1 a bit better. Based on sound alone, I would have been happy with either.

The HE500s are also HUGE... like big ole Cinnamon rolls hanging off my head... I also didn't care for the silver cable that ships with the HE-500... way to stiff and it would transmit sound to the headphones anytime it would move/rub on my desk.

i found that HE-500 with velours is extremely similar to T1. its different with pleathers, but the velours, the sound signature especially in the midrange is almost identical (slightly warm but overall neutral and uncolored). the HE-500 are more uncomfortable and not as spacious, fast, or detailed as T1.

the stock cable got replaced with a norse audio cable almost immediately. the silver is pretty bad.

Apr 19, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #3,968 of 10,994
i found that HE-500 with velours is extremely similar to T1. its different with pleathers, but the velours, the sound signature especially in the midrange is almost identical (slightly warm but overall neutral and uncolored). the HE-500 are more uncomfortable and not as spacious, fast, or detailed as T1.

the stock cable got replaced with a norse audio cable almost immediately. the silver is pretty bad.

Tbh I was suppose to get the he-500 instead of the T1s about 1-2 months ago.
Thank god to Chinese new year and shortage of staffs or whatever, I got impatient and got the T1s instead after demoing the srh1840, hd700, t5p , lcd2 and T1(someone else was using the hd800, damn).
I was suppose to pick one of the $700 headphones but was like "might as well try the high ends while I'm here", it was too unfair how the T1 had an advantage over everything there.
The lcd2 was ridiculously uncomfortable clamping the back of my head giving me a headache and I started to worrying about the he500. Cancelled my he500 and got the T1s right on the spot. At least I won't need to take a step backwards and save in the long run.

Got home, plugged it into my stx and I was underwhelmed and went, "this sounded nothing like it was in stores...", everything was too in your face like rock and pop, I mean sure it sounded good but it irritated my ear at like what, any higher than 25 volume? I'm not saying it wasn't 'clear and detailed', it just wasn't pleasant whatsoever.

So I started reading Dubstep, Macedonianhero and arylynn posts on what to get with the T1s, being the fans that they are of the headphones/amps I was after. Got the WA2 and thank god the T1s sounded alot better putting the instruments further away allowing me to crank up the volume past 25 quite easily.

I use to think Headfiers were crazy investing their money on expensive dacs and amps :frowning2:
Thanks to you guys around, I was able to enjoy the T1 and not be the guy that was disappointed saying 'not worth it'.

@flisker
I'd laugh if that is the face you normally make when listening to music :p
If the T1s ever underwhelmes you it's not the headphones fault!
Hope you enjoy :)

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #3,969 of 10,994
I have a WA7 on pre-order; but based on reviews here, I wonder if I should get the WA2 instead. The only problem is it looks so big... and my desk at work doesn't have a whole lot of space on it...

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #3,970 of 10,994
Quote:
I'd laugh if that is the face you normally make when listening to music
tongue.gif

If the T1s ever underwhelmes you it's not the headphones fault!
Hope you enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

biggrin.gif
 , it's just that specific song sounds so good on T1's . I usually just lay down on couch and turn lights off when listening for longer periods of time 
wink.gif

I feel like T1's are nice "complementary" cans to HD650, some music sounds so much better on these ... but with some other I can't crank volume because of treble and feel like I liked them more on HD650.

But didn't do any A/B testing yet, just playing with EQ and listening to music so far.

Also I'am pretty sure Modi is serious bottleneck here 
frown.gif

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #3,971 of 10,994
biggrin.gif

, it's just that specific song sounds so good on T1's . I usually just lay down on couch and turn lights off when listening for longer periods of time 
wink.gif

I feel like T1's are nice "complementary" cans to HD650, some music sounds so much better on these ... but with some other I can't crank volume because of treble and feel like I liked them more on HD650.

But didn't do any A/B testing yet, just playing with EQ and listening to music so far.

Also I'am pretty sure Modi is serious bottleneck here 
frown.gif

That's what I meant.
The treble was pretty bad with my stx and I preferred my hd598 over the T1s.
After getting the WA2, the T1 is better than than my hd598 counterpart in every aspect xD
Just take it 1 step at a time, you won't be disappointed :p

@jh7000
Id say it's about the same size as a ps3 and as big as a small ink jet printer.
The wa7 is an good all rounder, won't need to invest as much on the tubes etc in the long run. But I assume the tubes last 3+ years of listening anyway so getting a new pair for different sound signatures is a plus.
Forgot to mention that the WA2 looks ALOT better in person than photos could justify.

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #3,972 of 10,994
Quote:
That's what I meant.
The treble was pretty bad with my stx and I preferred my hd598 over the T1s.
After getting the WA2, the T1 is better than than my hd598 counterpart in every aspect xD
Just take it 1 step at a time, you won't be disappointed
tongue.gif

Well Lyr isn't exactly crap so I'am not sure WA2 would be nigh and day difference. I'am not saying treble is pretty bad, but with some songs it's little hot because I listen on high volume. If I would have option to try out WA2 I would definitely give it a shot, but only way for me would be just buy it and hope it will be much better than Lyr. 
frown.gif

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #3,973 of 10,994
Quote:

Well Lyr isn't exactly crap so I'am not sure WA2 would be nigh and day difference. I'am not saying treble is pretty bad, but with some songs it's little hot because I listen on high volume. If I would have option to try out WA2 I would definitely give it a shot, but only way for me would be just buy it and hope it will be much better than Lyr. 
frown.gif

It makes a pretty big difference honestly. I was the same way when I had my Burson HA-160D. I had the same issue with treble at moderate volume, and didnt know just how well the T1 scales. Boy was i wrong when i pulled the trigger on a Mjolnir, what a difference. Its all about synergy and the WA2 has it from what i hear on the owners. I can vouch for the Mjolnir myself -dat detail and soundstage :D

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #3,974 of 10,994
Quote:
It makes a pretty big difference honestly. I was the same way when I had my Burson HA-160D. I had the same issue with treble at moderate volume, and didnt know just how well the T1 scales. Boy was i wrong when i pulled the trigger on a Mjolnir, what a difference. Its all about synergy and the WA2 has it from what i hear on the owners. I can vouch for the Mjolnir myself -dat detail and soundstage :D

I'am bit confused now "Boy was i wrong when i pulled the trigger on a Mjolnir" is Mjolnir good or bad than :D Also guess my next upgrade should be rather better dac than amp or am I wrong ?

Apr 19, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #3,975 of 10,994
I'am bit confused now "Boy was i wrong when i pulled the trigger on a Mjolnir" is Mjolnir good or bad than :D Also guess my next upgrade should be rather better dac than amp or am I wrong ?
Sorry i shouldve said "boy was i wrong on the Burson once i heard the Mjolnir."
As far as upgrade concerns go, i find the correct amp for the T1 is a bigger upgrade than an expensive DAC. Plus, an amp is going to last you much longer than a DAC will. Other owners can help chime in on their experiences here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back