The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 16, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #136 of 10,994
Sep 18, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #138 of 10,994
I only wish I could find speakers that sound as nice as my T1s with my B52 amp.
So coherent with sweet, liquid highs and natural vocals and warm, integrated bass, but not veiled or "missing something".
Tonality is just A+++.

Sep 21, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #139 of 10,994
I thought I should share these two pictures from our European Head-fi meet in Berlin. It is the proud owner of SERIAL # 1 (1001) of the T1's.

Sep 21, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #141 of 10,994
Yeah I wonder how many have sold as well...

Sep 22, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #142 of 10,994

Quote:
Yeah I wonder how many have sold as well...

maybe 2000 is my guess. The T1 is still the best built headphone I own. Lately I have been listening to the LCD2 more because I want to get an handle on them then will start some comparison to the T1 which has better soundstage and space.

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #143 of 10,994
Hello Head-Fi
biggrin.gif

Now i am using DT880/600. Love the thin mid (yeah, i love thin mid), deep bass(former mid-basshead, i am) , and focused sound. Is this T1 an absolute upgrade from DT880/600?
biggrin.gif

Just curious
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #144 of 10,994
I have been listening to the T1s with my tube Cayin amp.  I followed Franks advice that the T1s do better with tubes, and what can I say, that is so true in my circumstance.  Initially with the BCL SS amp, I found the soundstage constricted and the top end didn't seem to "breathe" - in other word, there seemed to be a  lack of air.  The tubes rectified all that and the soundstage got much bigger with better instrument placement an "opening" up of the top end.  This is very much contradictory to what I expected from my SS and tube amps.  I guess at 600ohms, these T1 have a significantly different amping requirement than other cans.  But what a difference amp matching can do to these cans!

I have been listening to both HD800s and T1s and what I like about the T1s is their more neutral presentation.  Whereas the HD800 lacked bass and initimacy, the T1 has no such problem.  I truly enjoy the rhythmic nature of the midbass, punchy and "flicky" - in fact this bass effect is unique to the T1 and I have never heard this pleasant bass "punchiness" in any can before.  I think the reason for this is that it gently rolls of the sub bass - and sub bass can make bass sound bloated and uncontrolled when there is too much of it.  I think the T1s do a remarkable balancing act to give this pleasing bass like no other can.

The other thing I really like about the T1s is intimacy in the midrange that the HD800, in contrast, doesn't even come close.  The HD800 is too "airy" and the treble is overpowering, period.  The T1's have a nice way of having an extended treble, but with zero fatigue factor and completely sibilance free.  I have yet to detect the dreaded sibilance in these cans.  I find that a few people have reservations about the LCD2s "heaviness" - I can say that these T1s do not have any heaviness in their presentation that so many people find off putting with the LCD2s.

So in a way if one can only afford one can in the top league - I think the T1s take whats best of the LCD2s and the HD800s and combine the positives to deliver a superb package, with none of their perceived weakness.  If only I can afford three top level cans, I would own LCD2, HD800 and T1.  But I will be in the unfortunate position to constantly switch between the HD800 and LCD2 to do what the T1 can do with one can, because I can only afford 2 top end cans.  Although I would be happy to own just the T1 by itself as my one can to rule them all when I am forced to sell off my cans when the debt collectors come for me!  These really are remarkable cans, even Srajaen from six moons find them to be the best can overall of the numerous cans he has heard and owned.  Along with the numerous testimonies of highly respected members, what more evidence does one need? 
wink_face.gif

Sep 22, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #145 of 10,994
Do I have a faulty pair of T1s?

I just plugged in my HD650s and find these two cans have about the same amount of bass and treble energy - the biggest difference being that  the T1 doesn't have the "warmth" or lower midrange presence of the HD650 - in terms of pure tonal balance.  Otherwise the T1 has a much tighter bass, midrange and treble therefore overall better clarity - but these two cans share a lot of similarities, particular in bass and treble presence, with a difference in midrange presentation (T1 more "neutral").  However I have never heard them being compared as sounding very similar in overall bass and treble level.

I always thought the LCD2 was an improved HD650 - no, the T1s sound closer to the HD650 than the LCD2s.  Am I going mad?

I just dug up this graph,  I barely hear the 9khz peak that the T1 have over theHD650 (it is with when quickly swapping), but the slightly raised curve at the midrange will explain the different tonal balance in the midrange.  I was expecting a much more brighter can....going by some of the reviews going around.  The HD650 has a more extended treble in that it doesn't dip as severely as the T1 does after the T1s 9khz peak (less air in the treble) - my ears agree.

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #146 of 10,994

Quote:
I have been listening to the T1s with my tube Cayin amp.  I followed Franks advice that the T1s do better with tubes, and what can I say, that is so true in my circumstance.  Initially with the BCL SS amp, I found the soundstage constricted and the top end didn't seem to "breathe" - in other word, there seemed to be a  lack of air.  The tubes rectified all that and the soundstage got much bigger with better instrument placement an "opening" up of the top end.  This is very much contradictory to what I expected from my SS and tube amps.  I guess at 600ohms, these T1 have a significantly different amping requirement than other cans.  But what a difference amp matching can do to these cans!

I have been listening to both HD800s and T1s and what I like about the T1s is their more neutral presentation.  Whereas the HD800 lacked bass and initimacy, the T1 has no such problem.  I truly enjoy the rhythmic nature of the midbass, punchy and "flicky" - in fact this bass effect is unique to the T1 and I have never heard this pleasant bass "punchiness" in any can before.  I think the reason for this is that it gently rolls of the sub bass - and sub bass can make bass sound bloated and uncontrolled when there is too much of it.  I think the T1s do a remarkable balancing act to give this pleasing bass like no other can.

The other thing I really like about the T1s is intimacy in the midrange that the HD800, in contrast, doesn't even come close.  The HD800 is too "airy" and the treble is overpowering, period.  The T1's have a nice way of having an extended treble, but with zero fatigue factor and completely sibilance free.  I have yet to detect the dreaded sibilance in these cans.  I find that a few people have reservations about the LCD2s "heaviness" - I can say that these T1s do not have any heaviness in their presentation that so many people find off putting with the LCD2s.

So in a way if one can only afford one can in the top league - I think the T1s take whats best of the LCD2s and the HD800s and combine the positives to deliver a superb package, with none of their perceived weakness.  If only I can afford three top level cans, I would own LCD2, HD800 and T1.  But I will be in the unfortunate position to constantly switch between the HD800 and LCD2 to do what the T1 can do with one can, because I can only afford 2 top end cans.  Although I would be happy to own just the T1 by itself as my one can to rule them all when I am forced to sell off my cans when the debt collectors come for me!  These really are remarkable cans, even Srajaen from six moons find them to be the best can overall of the numerous cans he has heard and owned.  Along with the numerous testimonies of highly respected members, what more evidence does one need? 
wink_face.gif

Scratch my previous comment....well written and I completely agree with you!
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #147 of 10,994
do you guys put your ears right in the center of the cup or push the cup a bit forward so that ears are towards the back of the cup?

Sep 22, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #149 of 10,994

Quote:
Scratch my previous comment....well written and I completely agree with you!
biggrin.gif

Yeah, the tube amp makes quite a difference.  I was quite surprised with how it was an complete improvement of the HD650 - as a HD650 supporter, I always denied that the HD800 was neutral.  But to me the T1s do sound neutral.  It does have the most rhythmic and punchy bass I have heard out of any can - including the LCD2, the bass in the LCD2 is more of a kick and boom kind of bass.  There is zero brightness in the T1 and no sibilance to speak of (I was expecting a bright treble going by the graph, headphonia review and some impressions on headfi - they are very wrong) with a midrange intimacy that the HD800s cannot match and the HD800 doesn't match the rhythmic bass either.

Quote:
do you guys put your ears right in the center of the cup or push the cup a bit forward so that ears are towards the back of the cup?

A bit forward here as well.

Sep 22, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #150 of 10,994

Quote:
(I was expecting a bright treble going by the graph, headphonia review and some impressions on headfi - they are very wrong) 

I guess that could also be because they have their peaks at different ranges, the HD800 is around 6-7 khz, and the T1 is around 10khz, so it is not that one reviewers are right and others wrong, is more that they are focusing on different brightness I think (or thats what I thought upon listening the T1).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back