The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Feb 12, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #23,281 of 23,651
I took a chance on the Volür when it was released as my first 64 Audio offering. It is far and away my favorite IEM and consistently produces a ‘first time’ feeling every time I pick it up. This is my 10th year in this hobby, so I consider that a feat in itself. For what it’s worth, I loathe the negative characteristics associated with BAs, but 64 Audio BAs eschew those. Though some of feedback in this thread seems divisive on the Tia driver, it’s one of my favorite aspects of this IEM.

All that being said, can anyone recommend another 64 Audio universal model? I’m open to explore the lineup since the Volür with its technology and tuning knocked my socks off. My dealer said this is 64 Audio’s best IEM, but I’ve seen others on this thread disagree.
If you like the Volür, I'd recommend (similarly to others in this thread) U12t, Fourte and Trio. There are some things about the design of the Fourte that are very unique to the Fourte itself. Some of the tech from the Fourte essentially trickled down into the Trio, and then further down into the Duo, but those three models are kind of in a unique space in our product lineup. I think U4s is also killer, but I would say it has similar strengths as the Volür, just to a lesser extent and without some of the tech that makes Volür unique. Nio is great as well if you want a warmer tuning.

64 Audio Stay updated on 64 Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/64audio https://twitter.com/64audio https://instagram.com/64audio https://www.64audio.com/ info@64audio.com
Feb 12, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #23,282 of 23,651
Oh! They look good too!

May I ask what cable you are using? I am using a First Times at present. They are a beautiful iem.

Feb 13, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #23,283 of 23,651
May I ask what cable you are using? I am using a First Times at present. They are a beautiful iem.
That's the upgraded 64Audio 4.4mm Shielded Silver-Core Cable that came as a gift with the Fourte Blanc. I can see FT doing well with the Fourte!

Feb 13, 2024 at 6:04 AM Post #23,284 of 23,651
Ok guys, I need your help, and a place for commiseration. I've had my Tia Trios for maybe two years now and I love almost everything about them. Except I have had problems ever since I started using them with something that sounds like a persistent channel imbalance of around 2 dB at 90Hz and 3-5 dB at 14.5kHz. For reference, I am 25 and have a lot of experience in audio engineering, which maybe is a blessing and a curse in this scenario as it makes me incredibly sensitive to these kinds of things. I believe part of my issue is fit. For the life of me, I can't get the Trios to exist comfortably in my ears, especially my right ear, which seems to have a bend that obstructs the nozzle opening if I use the wrong tips. I've tried everything (at least, certainly more than an everage amount of things), but it seems like I can never achieve a secure fit, an even bass extension between my two ears, "unblocked" high frequency extension in my right ear above 12 kHz, and a reduction in channel imbalances caused by my anatomy. It is getting in the way of my ability to enjoy my music, and I've spent an ungodly amount of money on tips to boot.

I am considering selling my Trios at this point. I don't want to, but I don't see an alternative. Could it just be the case that they aren't a fit for my ears? I sent them in for repairs at one point. Is it a possibly to get a confirmation from the company that there is a channel imbalance and I'm not crazy? I want to make these work, I just don't know how, because the fleeting moments of contentment within my ongoing struggle are pure audio bliss. Thanks for listening.

Feb 13, 2024 at 7:28 AM Post #23,286 of 23,651
Ok guys, I need your help, and a place for commiseration. I've had my Tia Trios for maybe two years now and I love almost everything about them. Except I have had problems ever since I started using them with something that sounds like a persistent channel imbalance of around 2 dB at 90Hz and 3-5 dB at 14.5kHz. For reference, I am 25 and have a lot of experience in audio engineering, which maybe is a blessing and a curse in this scenario as it makes me incredibly sensitive to these kinds of things. I believe part of my issue is fit. For the life of me, I can't get the Trios to exist comfortably in my ears, especially my right ear, which seems to have a bend that obstructs the nozzle opening if I use the wrong tips. I've tried everything (at least, certainly more than an everage amount of things), but it seems like I can never achieve a secure fit, an even bass extension between my two ears, "unblocked" high frequency extension in my right ear above 12 kHz, and a reduction in channel imbalances caused by my anatomy. It is getting in the way of my ability to enjoy my music, and I've spent an ungodly amount of money on tips to boot.

I am considering selling my Trios at this point. I don't want to, but I don't see an alternative. Could it just be the case that they aren't a fit for my ears? I sent them in for repairs at one point. Is it a possibly to get a confirmation from the company that there is a channel imbalance and I'm not crazy? I want to make these work, I just don't know how, because the fleeting moments of contentment within my ongoing struggle are pure audio bliss. Thanks for listening.
Did you try to equalize those specific frequencies in L and R channel separately to compensate that channel imbalance?

Feb 13, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #23,287 of 23,651
Did you try to equalize those specific frequencies in L and R channel separately to compensate that channel imbalance?
Yes, Qudelix 5k is great. But...
Have you tried different brand tips

Or have you tried different sized tips for each ear :)

Re channel imbalance, will leave that for 64A
...I know from extensive tip rolling that the right fit would probably solve a lot (but not all) of the issue. A right fit that I haven't been successful in finding.

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #23,288 of 23,651

You said you've already sent them in for repair? Was that for the same issue? It is absolutely possible that there is something wrong with the IEM's, so I would suggest that you email support@64audio.com and open up a new ticket. Fit can be part of an issue like that, particularly regarding the imbalance in the highs. Insertion depth of the IEM can change the high frequency presentation by shifting resonance peaks and emphasizing/de-emphasizing certain frequencies.

64 Audio Stay updated on 64 Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/64audio https://twitter.com/64audio https://instagram.com/64audio https://www.64audio.com/ info@64audio.com
Feb 13, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #23,289 of 23,651
Thank you very much!

One last question, please:
- Which is the best DAP up to £1000.00, according to your opinion?

For Volur, ibasso dx260 synergise a charm. Provide a lot of air and spacious soundstage image, with kind of sweet vocal and tight bass.

Feb 14, 2024 at 3:14 AM Post #23,290 of 23,651

I had similar issue with my U12t which I’ve owned since 2017, the left ears would sometimes have fit issue, on somedays it’s fine. I tried lots of ear tips but eventually the issue will appear again.
End of 2021 I got a custom iem A18s and it has been superb since that day. I can confirm that my left ear can’t hold earphones for long period coz I have same issue with BT earbuds like sony, airpods etc
The only universal IEM I have that can stay on my left ear is Vision Ear EVE20, and I have no more plans to get universal fits ever again

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 3:35 AM Post #23,291 of 23,651
I had similar issue with my U12t which I’ve owned since 2017, the left ears would sometimes have fit issue, on somedays it’s fine. I tried lots of ear tips but eventually the issue will appear again.
End of 2021 I got a custom iem A18s and it has been superb since that day. I can confirm that my left ear can’t hold earphones for long period coz I have same issue with BT earbuds like sony, airpods etc
The only universal IEM I have that can stay on my left ear is Vision Ear EVE20, and I have no more plans to get universal fits ever again
Same issue with the U12t.. but not with other IEMs (Trio, Fourte, and a bunch of others seem to be ok... weird, very weird .. ). While I am lucky enough to to experience (or notice) sound imbalances, the left U12t is lacking grip regardless of whatever tip I tried (e-Pro, Spiral Dots, Velvet, Baroque, ... etc).
Managed to address the issue with a pair of Symbio F. The foam has enough grip after expanding back.

Feb 14, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #23,292 of 23,651
Feb 14, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #23,293 of 23,651
I am a new owner of Nio; what a fantastic pair of IEMs.

I must admit I expected more bass impact (because of all the hype), at least like Fostex Th900mk2, but still, there is lots of bass and beautiful-sounding bass.
Any recommendations for a good 4.4 mm cable, preferably around $100 or less (even better)?

Cheers!

Feb 14, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #23,294 of 23,651
What is your opinion about this cable for the Volür? I already have it at home. I've tried it a bit earlier for a couple of hours, it sounds nice. Now I am on the stock cable, it sounds nice, too.

Can anyone tell me the difference between Graphene Hybrid 7N OCC and the stock, which is Silver Plated OCC Copper Wire? What is the effect of each cable in the sound quality? @64Audio ?

Feb 15, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #23,295 of 23,651
hey folks, new to head-fi here as I was told it's better to ask in this official 64 audio thread than to expect an answer from the company email 😅

I'm new to the world of custom IEMs and am trying to do as much research as possible since I can't backtrack and resell or return if it doesn't end up working for me (plus they cost a fair amount). My question is around occlusion and the apex module. I've searched this thread for "occlusion" and didn't really come up with any answers that gave me confidence either way.

TLDR: does anyone here have custom 64 audio IEMs (I'm looking at A3e) and is a vocalist/podcaster/live streamer/anyone that speaks a lot into a microphone while monitoring and how much do the apex modules help with occlusion? Would there be differences between modules? ie. using an mX over an m20?

More context... I love wearing IEMs way more than headphones and I work from home but I talk all day for my work. In my spare time I like to do a bit of singing as well but nothing professional whatsoever... just have a mic and an app, so I don't have any of the tools or knowledge to do anything fancy to mitigate the occlusion effect.

I recently bought a pair of open back headphones, which functionally gives me everything I need, albeit monitoring my voice became more of simply listening to my voice through the acoustics of the small room I'm in rather than monitoring through the cans. Then I remembered in my research that some people had said getting custom IEMs could help, since the fit would be perfect... and as an additional step beyond that, I was wondering if the apex modules would act sort of like open back headphones but for IEMs (I've read posts here saying that is NOT how much ambient noise they let in nor do I expect or want it to). But I don't know enough about the physics to know if even letting in SOME ambient noise is enough to relieve the occlusion effect, or if that's not how the filter works...

Thanks in advance for all the help!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back