The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Apr 14, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #16,876 of 23,560
Thank you for your answer.

Yeah I heard that Fourte might be good option and furthermore that it reproduces piano sound very well (one of the best iem for piano solo?), an I mainly need it for piano solos.

I didn't test tia fourte yet, as I still can't 'digest' its price tag and convince myself it's worth that kind of money ( in my country it's almost double price of the trio! ) - it's a psychological blockage :wink:
I don’t listen to piano solo, so can’t help much. I don’t have much complaint on piano sound from the Fourte in general.

Yeah 64 Audio IEMs and all TOTL are expensive. That’s why we are broke :slight_frown:.

Apr 15, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #16,877 of 23,560
I don’t listen to piano solo, so can’t help much. I don’t have much complaint on piano sound from the Fourte in general.

Yeah 64 Audio IEMs and all TOTL are expensive. That’s why we are broke :slight_frown:.

😅 Broke and lost in music 😛

Apr 15, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #16,878 of 23,560
I would agree with David that they sound very different! But that said, I can indulge.
  • In terms of tonality, the U18S leans dead-balanced for the midrange, whereas the Odin has an upper-midrange tilt. Both are quite relaxed going through the treble regions, but on the whole, I would say that the U18S leans considerably darker as it dips after 10kHz. So the Odin would appeal to those who want a more in-your-face presentation and the U18S to those who prefer a more laidback presentation.
  • Intangibly, the Odin prioritizes resolution. Again, it's going to push all of this stuff right at you. At the same time, however, one of the first things that came to mind when I heard it is how smooth it is. Decay syncs together very well; the Odin's probably the most coherent tribrid that I've heard so far.
  • I would say the U18S is just as detailed - perhaps even more - in the sense that it leans a little more gritty in decay, picking up more detail the trailing end of notes. So while you might not get the perception of note crispness or terrific clarity like the Odin, for a sense of innate detail, I think the U18S can easily play ball.
  • Very different in terms of macrodynamics. Odin has an upwards-compressed, stately quality to the way it scales dynamic swings; the U18S leans more in the opposite direction with a downwards-compression to my ears.

I'm an M20 guy too! :)
That’s really useful. Thanks 😃

Apr 15, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #16,880 of 23,560
Any of you 64 nutters had custom tips made for yours? How they turn out?
I have custom tips for my nio made by custom art. Really happy with them. They seal very well and they are super comfortable. Seal and isolation is better than any normal tip (though isolation also still depends on the apex module) I can't really comment on any sound changes since I have been using them long enough that these are just "normal" to me now.

PXL_20210415_130420685~2.jpg

Apr 15, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #16,881 of 23,560
Any of you 64 nutters had custom tips made for yours? How they turn out?
I've ordered a pair to use with U12t.
Unfortunately they were not as good as i have hoped.
Left one was too tight and i felt some discomfort after 30 minutes or so. Right one was too loose, and it was very easy to break the seal if i move my jaw, or smile, or do anything but sit very still.
They were also extremely short for some reason.
Custom Arts have offered to try again with no additional cost, and the second pair is better, but still not perfect, and in the end i'm not using them at all, and decided to go with real customs.

I liked the changes in the sound though, U12t became a little smoother and darker, and i expect that's what A12t would sound like (ordered, should receive them soon).
VE8 on the other hand became way too dark, and i much preferred SpiralDots++ for them.

tips.jpg

Apr 15, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #16,882 of 23,560
Maybe some love revitalized here? I’ve kinda not really cared for my A18s over the past few months, enough to where I’ve listed them on the classifieds. I got the Cayin C9 yesterday and these seem to benefit largely from the AMP. The midrange layering is on a totally different level to any DAP I have heard the A18s with before... so spacious, much more room for notes to play within their own space, imaging is better.. it’s a very good combo while still retaining the warm sound signature of the A18s.

Hopefully this isn’t just a small honeymoon :)

Apr 15, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #16,883 of 23,560
Have had more time with the U18s. I love them. Maybe this is psychosomatic but the bass seems be hitting much harder than the demo from my recollection. Treble is just as I remembered it. Mids slightly more elevated than I recall. Nicely textured. Stage nice and wide. They are great paired with @doctorjuggles cable (as in the pic).

Listening to Bridged by a Lightwave. It’s a good test for me for both upper mids and treble (female vocals) and bass slam (the beat that starts at about 2’20”). Both are superb on the 18s. The female vocals are bright and airy, yet smooth and never sibilant. I’m sensitive to upper mids and lower treble and so finding IEMs whose treble tonality and technical abilities strike this balance can be challenging for me.

56AC7B9B-EFE7-4303-A6C9-48C561496915.jpeg

Apr 16, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #16,884 of 23,560
I'm looking for an upgrade cable for my 64audio Nio.
I like the sound of the stock cable but not the ergonomics.
I tried EA Virtuoso (SPC) and even if it add some air overall the bass suffer and lose some texture and slam...
So i'm looking for a cable that will keep the quantity of bass but may improve its quality (definition, slam, texture, punch).
I'm not looking for a brighter overall signature and want to keep the smoothness of the Nio (some more airiness might be ok as long as the bass stays).
I read as much as i could and i think that a Plussound Tri-Copper or an Eletech Socrates might be what I'm looking for.
Do any of you Nio owners have experience with one of those cables or with another according to my sound preference ???
I will really appreciate your help😀
Thanks a lot😀
Ps. This is not to start another cable war😉

Apr 16, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #16,885 of 23,560
I tried EA Virtuoso (SPC) and even if it add some air overall the bass suffer and lose some texture and slam...
So i'm looking for a cable that will keep the quantity of bass but may improve its quality (definition, slam, texture, punch).
I'm not looking for a brighter overall signature and want to keep the smoothness of the Nio (some more airiness might be ok as long as the bass stays).
I read as much as i could and i think that a Plussound Tri-Copper or an Eletech Socrates might be what I'm looking for.
Do any of you Nio owners have experience with one of those cables or with another according to my sound preference ???
Thanks a lot😀
Contact @doctorjuggles aka The Good Doctor. He makes great cables to order, for a good price.

Here is a picture of the Nio with one of his cables:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fli...dio-discussion.826876/page-2001#post-16292259

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #16,886 of 23,560
Thanks a lot😀
Agree with @MatW re the good doctor’s cables. For what you’re after I can highly recommend the Graphene SPC. I used it on both the Nio and U12t to good effect in terms of air, clarity, smoothness and bass kick improvements - without muddling the bass or adding excess brightness.

Apr 16, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #16,888 of 23,560
Thanks a lot😀
I'm using EA Grandioso with my Nio and it combines the best of Maestro and Virtuoso into 1 cable.

Apr 16, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #16,889 of 23,560
Thanks a lot😀
Some good recommendations coming up here for you. Sorry that I couldn’t assist directly but I hope this helps! 🤗

Users who are viewing this thread

Back