The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Apr 14, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #16,846 of 23,560
Is someone able to do a comparison between U18s and the Odin?

Apr 14, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #16,847 of 23,560
Hello,

Have someone had a chance to compare Nio (with MX module) to the u12t? I'm most interested in the mids section and soundstage.

While I love my trio for it's base and 3d soundstage presentation, sometimes in some genres I find mids to be a bit more recessed than I would prefer. Hence I'm looking for a good complement. I'm mostly interested in 64 audio iems because their shape fits my ears perfectly, and I can wear them for a long period of time without any fatigue.

I had a chance to listen to the Nios and I found mx module very satisfying. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on it, but then I heard people often choose u12t as a complement to the Trio.

Now I'm wondering how different u12t is from the Nio. I found some reviews and comparisons out there but mainly they compare detail retrieval ability, so I know u12t is better in this regard. What about the midrange, which one has it's more present ?

I like the "organic feel " of the nio, even with the MX module (which many people call very technical). I also like the relaxed presentation of the Nios, they never sound harsh, always 'butter-smooth.' Few question I still have:

1) in terms of mids is u12t closer to the Trio or Nio?

2) Is the soundstage of the u12 closer to the Trio, or Nio?

3) Which one is darker/brighter sounding headphone Nio (with MX module) or u12t (mx,15,20)?

Unfortunately I didn't have yet possibility to try u12t by myself, so any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #16,848 of 23,560
Hello,

Have someone had a chance to compare Nio (with MX module) to the u12t? I'm most interested in the mids section and soundstage.

While I love my trio for it's base and 3d soundstage presentation, sometimes in some genres I find mids to be a bit more recessed than I would prefer. Hence I'm looking for a good complement. I'm mostly interested in 64 audio iems because their shape fits my ears perfectly, and I can wear them for a long period of time without any fatigue.

I had a chance to listen to the Nios and I found mx module very satisfying. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on it, but then I heard people often choose u12t as a complement to the Trio.

Now I'm wondering how different u12t is from the Nio. I found some reviews and comparisons out there but mainly they compare detail retrieval ability, so I know u12t is better in this regard. What about the midrange, which one has it's more present ?

I like the "organic feel " of the nio, even with the MX module (which many people call very technical). I also like the relaxed presentation of the Nios, they never sound harsh, always 'butter-smooth.' Few question I still have:

3) Which one is darker/brighter sounding headphone Nio (with MX module) or u12t (mx,15,20)?

Unfortunately I didn't have yet possibility to try u12t by myself, so any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Just my 2 cents:

Trio is not perfect but you will forego the great bass, better clarity and more airy stage presentation going to either U12t or Nio.

U12t ba bass is not bad but I still prefer DD bass. U12t mid is balanced and not too recessed, and tho it has a balanced and relaxed sound overall, it still leave me wanting something more exciting after a while. If you’re looking for a good all rounder I guess U12t is ok.

Nio with Mx module is more open sounding but it just sounds a bit hollow feeling to me, like it’s leaking air or something that makes it not enjoyable on some music for me. Can’t exactly put it but I’m not a fan of Nio anyway with any of the modules.

Fourte is a direct upgrade from Trio. Great DD bass, better mid than Trio, super holographic stage presentation and great technical performance overall. The only thing is while the mid is better than others I’ve heard, it is still not the most analog and some people can’t fathom the Fourte’s treble performance (for me the Fourte has great treble quality). Fourte is still my favorite among all of the 64 Audio universal IEMs :).

PS: I’m currently listening to the new 64 Audio U18s. So far I find it has a smooth and warm sound signature with very organic mid range. The sound presentation is relaxed and non-fatiguing. Treble is a little laidback and not as detailed as what you normally gets from 64 Audio tia high drivers but the overall sound is still very clear. They are more forward and intimate in sound presentation, so they don’t have that so called holographic sound stage but the sound stage and imaging is still above average. I think U18s is great if you are looking for an excellent all rounder (it’s better than U12t in my opinion except I wish it has more treble sometimes). As usual YMMV and since it’s a new iem I still don’t have longer term assessment yet. Best if you can try to hear one yourself. Hope it helps.

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #16,849 of 23,560
Hello,

Thanks!
Why don't you EQ?
It can solve a lot of problems when used correctly and save a new buy...

Apr 14, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #16,850 of 23,560
Why don't you EQ?

Equing is against the religion 😛 a solution that is only allowed to be used when its a doomsday outside 😱😅

Apr 14, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #16,852 of 23,560
I am / was also a big fan of equalization. You can remedy some problems with it like boosting weak bass or taming areas you don’t like. Still from my experience it won’t change a bad (or just „wrong“ music reproduction for your likings) into a good one. There are so many other things than frequency curves alone to be taken into consideration.

Like imaging, resolution, detail retrieval, holographic capabilities, FIT, bass quality, treble extension, soundstage.... list goes on. Still, I am using EQ for my HD800s, especially dramatically lifting up the sub bass/bass to make them much more enjoyable to me for example.

Other than that I had to try _a lot_ of different IEMs to find what really suits my personal preference. There was no IEM ever in my past posession that with all eq‘ing in the world could give me the joy of my current sets.

Apr 14, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #16,853 of 23,560
There are so many other things than frequency curves alone to be taken into consideration.

Like imaging, resolution, detail retrieval, holographic capabilities, FIT, bass quality, treble extension, soundstage.... list goes on. Still, I am using EQ for my HD800s, especially dramatically lifting up the sub bass/bass to make them much more enjoyable to me for example.
Well you have to go with a very capable iem and that do respond to EQ correctly of course.

Once you have found that iem, in my book, resolution, detail retrieval, bass quality, treble extension, soundstage... List goes on... are closely linked to FR.

Apr 14, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #16,854 of 23,560
Just my 2 cents:

Trio is not perfect but you will forego the great bass, better clarity and more airy stage presentation going to either U12t or Nio.

U12t ba bass is not bad but I still prefer DD bass. U12t mid is balanced and not too recessed, and tho it has a balanced and relaxed sound overall, it still leave me wanting something more exciting after a while. If you’re looking for a good all rounder I guess U12t is ok.

Nio with Mx module is more open sounding but it just sounds a bit hollow feeling to me, like it’s leaking air or something that makes it not enjoyable on some music for me. Can’t exactly put it but I’m not a fan of Nio anyway with any of the modules.

Fourte is a direct upgrade from Trio. Great DD bass, better mid than Trio, super holographic stage presentation and great technical performance overall. The only thing is while the mid is better than others I’ve heard, it is still not the most analog and some people can’t fathom the Fourte’s treble performance (for me the Fourte has great treble quality). Fourte is still my favorite among all of the 64 Audio universal IEMs :).

PS: I’m currently listening to the new 64 Audio U18s. So far I find it has a smooth and warm sound signature with very organic mid range. The sound presentation is relaxed and non-fatiguing. Treble is a little laidback and not as detailed as what you normally gets from 64 Audio tia high drivers but the overall sound is still very clear. They are more forward and intimate in sound presentation, so they don’t have that so called holographic sound stage but the sound stage and imaging is still above average. I think U18s is great if you are looking for an excellent all rounder (it’s better than U12t in my opinion except I wish it has more treble sometimes). As usual YMMV and since it’s a new iem I still don’t have longer term assessment yet. Best if you can try to hear one yourself. Hope it helps.

Thank you for your answer.

Yeah I heard that Fourte might be good option and furthermore that it reproduces piano sound very well (one of the best iem for piano solo?), an I mainly need it for piano solos.

I didn't test tia fourte yet, as I still can't 'digest' its price tag and convince myself it's worth that kind of money ( in my country it's almost double price of the trio! ) - it's a psychological blockage :wink:

Apr 14, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #16,855 of 23,560
Why don't you EQ?

Thanks for suggestion but I'm using iems only outside 'on the go' hooked up to my portable gear, so there is no option for any extra external eq ( it all has to fit into my pocket :wink: )

And the built in eq in my dap (sp1000m) is rather poor...

Apr 14, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #16,856 of 23,560
Well you have to go with a very capable iem and that do respond to EQ correctly of course.

Once you have found that iem, in my book, resolution, detail retrieval, bass quality, treble extension, soundstage... List goes on... are closely linked to FR.
There is an interesting thread on audiosciencereview about eqing. It is stated that the effect of eq gets weaker the higher you get in the FR curve. They essentially say (with a good pair of Headphones or IEMs that take eq’ing well) you can very well boost the bass, mid-bass but you can’t make a dull sounding headphone with rolled of highs sound great through lifting treble.

From my humble experience, I second that.

And even for bass boosting. You will never get a full BA IEM sound as good bass-wise as a quality IEM with Dynamic drivers for the bass.

Apr 14, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #16,858 of 23,560
Thanks for suggestion but I'm using iems only outside 'on the go' hooked up to my portable gear, so there is no option for any extra external eq ( it all has to fit into my pocket :wink: )

And the built in eq in my dap (sp1000m) is rather poor...
Best of breed portable option to eq is the Qudelix 5k imho. For me the gold standard when it comes to eq and still portable. Check it out, its not expensive.

Apr 14, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #16,859 of 23,560
And even for bass boosting. You will never get a full BA IEM sound as good bass-wise as a quality IEM with Dynamic drivers for the bass.
Of course you have technology limits...

And you can't solve heavy issues. Above 7 or 8db upward compensation I also find it won't work correctly. It's often the case in the highs.

Apr 14, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #16,860 of 23,560
How does ipx professional cable compares to the premium silver?
I ask this just as a curious question toward those who buy the custom iem with the new ipx connectors but without the option of the premium silver cable.

If 64a says the premium silver cable is the lowest resistance cable they ever made, wouldn't the custom customers wouldn't want to use that cable too? Why are they only limited to the professional cable only?

Or according to 64a the professional cable has same resistance level as the premium silver cable 🧐🤨🤔

@64Audio
@Vitaly2017 the premium cables are designed to be used with the Universal models so we recommend that you not use the premium cables with the custom IEMs, the pin sizes are slightly larger than the sockets we use in the custom IEMs. The sockets in the Universal IEMs are different. You can use the premium cables with a custom IEM if you'd like, and if your custom IEM doesn't have a recessed socket, but that could stretch the socket over time. The professional 2pin and IPX cables both have an extremely low impedance and were chosen based on their compatibility with our IEMs. The Silver premium cable is our lowest resistance cable so it does have a lower resistance than the professional cable.

64 Audio Stay updated on 64 Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/64audio https://twitter.com/64audio https://instagram.com/64audio https://www.64audio.com/ info@64audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back