flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 11, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #30,001 of 39,414
Does anyone have any inside info around which companies (if any) are releasing anything interesting anytime soon?
If anyone has inside info, then I would expect they would keep their mouth shut so as not to spoil the surprise. [conspiratorial wink]
Also, this thread is now on its 2000th page.
I can't believe I have been around here for almost all of it. Starting to feel old now. In the beginning I was like....
tumblr_nhfatngGCh1rjlj53o2_500.gif

but now I am more like...
tenor.gif

I thought they had just brought out their moduler IEM where you're able to change the shells and sound signature slightly? An all BA endeavour I believe.
What they released was an April Fools joke with a core of truth. So a universal Balmung is coming of course, that was to be expected after Gae Bolg, but the business with the custom universal shells has not yet been fully explained. That is something they will release more details on soon:

1618152576928.png

Apr 11, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #30,002 of 39,414
If anyone has inside info, then I would expect they would keep their mouth shut so as not to spoil the surprise. [conspiratorial wink]

I can't believe I have been around here for almost all of it. Starting to feel old now. In the beginning I was like....
tumblr_nhfatngGCh1rjlj53o2_500.gif

but now I am more like...
tenor.gif

What they released was an April Fools joke with a core of truth. So a universal Balmung is coming of course, that was to be expected after Gae Bolg, but the business with the custom universal shells has not yet been fully explained. That is something they will release more details on soon:

1618152576928.png
They had me convinced... haha.

Apr 11, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #30,004 of 39,414
Apr 11, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #30,006 of 39,414
It is spectacular. I am in awe of the design and execution. Is it purpleheart?
Purple Heart trim, main body is ebony, with walnut inner pieces and bottom. Top is Burle walnut. Leather is lamb skin, maple on the two holders.

Apr 11, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #30,007 of 39,414
Purple Heart trim, main body is ebony, with walnut inner pieces and bottom. Top is Burle walnut. Leather is lamb skin, maple on the two holders.
I want a ZMF VC in Purple Heart and Ebony think that would be stunning.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #30,008 of 39,414
Since we had a few recent discussions here about UM MEST MKII, here is my take on it. For me personally the fit of OG shells wasn't ideal. MKII new updated shell works much better. Plus, it has updated tuning with addition of more sub-bass rumble, fuller body lower mids, slightly attenuated down 6.5kHz lower treble peak, and new PWA copper cable along with AZLA Xelastec eartips in addition to Dignis leather storage case. I think they got everything but the kitchen sink with this quadbrid (DD/4BA/2EST/dual sides Bone Conduction) for under $1.5k lol!!!

um_mest_mkII-14.jpg

Apr 12, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #30,009 of 39,414
Yeah I remember seeing "scheduled for Q4" on VE's Instagram post as well. I think that date may be for the EVE release though as the photos of the prototype circling around have been said to not be either EVE21or a flagship.

I think the Meister is the “prototype” for the EVE21, I would love its DD bass combined with an Elysium like DD midrange, but we will have to see.

Apr 12, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #30,010 of 39,414
They had me convinced... haha.

I think MMR said that part was an April Fools, but they are working on a similar project!

Apr 12, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #30,011 of 39,414
DSC_1171-01.jpeg

Let's try the EVO10 :beyersmile:

Apr 12, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #30,012 of 39,414
Hi guys,

the Jaben shop in Shanghai just received 5 different sets of the Sony Just Ear for demo :
7243EA86-A672-4CD4-9E41-927C1169FAB5.jpeg

I’m wondering if anyone ever tried those. I’ve never heard anyone talking about it. For nearly $3000 I found them really underwhelming on the technical as well as musical aspects... which might explain why nobody talks about them... :sweat_smile:
I don’t think they hold a candle to Z1r.

Also, when I was in the shop, they received the new U18s for demo, so I had the pleasure to do the unboxing and give it a try. I must say that the design and packaging of these is really cool! It does feel very premium, without being overkill like Erlkonig for example where you might have the feeling you pay a $1000 Just for the packaging. :dt880smile:

I managed to do a quick A/B with Traillii and Fitear Titan. They still sound as fantastic as I remember when I tried the A18s demo. They felt a little warmer overall than I recall with A18s demo unit, but I really like them! I’d still favor slightly Traillii for it’s brighter vocals, stronger & organic sub bass, more extended trebles and overall little more coherent / realistic tonality. On the other hand I could see myself preferring U18s on some tracks for its stronger mid bass, slightly warmer and relax tuning.

As for Titan, I really enjoy it as well. It’s a fantastic set. I’m wondering why it isn’t talked about in this thread? The soundstage is impressive, the bass very potent and organic, mids are pretty good too and high mids & treble are very detailed even though they can feel a bit tiring on some tracks. Also, I heard that it takes about 5 months to get a Titan custom fit!!! Thinking about it, it’s just crazy to make titanium custom IEM! It seems they can only make 8 per year.

The good news (for me at least) is that my custom Traillii is done and they are just waiting to receive the PWA cable to send it to me, so I might receive it this week! Finally! :ksc75smile:
I‘ll share some pics when I get them! :sunglasses:

Cheers guys.

Apr 12, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #30,013 of 39,414
Hi guys,

the Jaben shop in Shanghai just received 5 different sets of the Sony Just Ear for demo :
7243EA86-A672-4CD4-9E41-927C1169FAB5.jpeg
I’m wondering if anyone ever tried those. I’ve never heard anyone talking about it. For nearly $3000 I found them really underwhelming on the technical as well as musical aspects... which might explain why nobody talks about them... :sweat_smile:
I don’t think they hold a candle to Z1r.

Also, when I was in the shop, they received the new U18s for demo, so I had the pleasure to do the unboxing and give it a try. I must say that the design and packaging of these is really cool! It does feel very premium, without being overkill like Erlkonig for example where you might have the feeling you pay a $1000 Just for the packaging. :dt880smile:

I managed to do a quick A/B with Traillii and Fitear Titan. They still sound as fantastic as I remember when I tried the A18s demo. They felt a little warmer overall than I recall with A18s demo unit, but I really like them! I’d still favor slightly Traillii for it’s brighter vocals, stronger & organic sub bass, more extended trebles and overall little more coherent / realistic tonality. On the other hand I could see myself preferring U18s on some tracks for its stronger mid bass, slightly warmer and relax tuning.

As for Titan, I really enjoy it as well. It’s a fantastic set. I’m wondering why it isn’t talked about in this thread? The soundstage is impressive, the bass very potent and organic, mids are pretty good too and high mids & treble are very detailed even though they can feel a bit tiring on some tracks. Also, I heard that it takes about 5 months to get a Titan custom fit!!! Thinking about it, it’s just crazy to make titanium custom IEM! It seems they can only make 8 per year.

The good news (for me at least) is that my custom Traillii is done and they are just waiting to receive the PWA cable to send it to me, so I might receive it this week! Finally! :ksc75smile:
I‘ll share some pics when I get them! :sunglasses:

Cheers guys.
Exciting! Which color did you go for again?

Apr 12, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #30,015 of 39,414
Exciting day today... The Odin arrived, and two new cables made by @doctorjuggles ... Which means they now all have a buddy to play with ... :)

2021-04-12 17.00.37.jpg
2021-04-12 17.04.45.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back