The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Mar 4, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #16,201 of 23,594
64 Audio Stay updated on 64 Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/64audio https://twitter.com/64audio https://instagram.com/64audio https://www.64audio.com/ info@64audio.com
Mar 4, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #16,202 of 23,594
Hey Guys,

Who here tested the MX module with U/A12t?
we have. Anytime we increase or reduce the amount of pressure relief it mainly makes changes in the bottom end. Interestingly, because of psychoacoustics it changes our perceptions of the whole frequency spectrum.

-more HF "sizzle"
-good enough bass response to listen to more modern music, for people who like a brighter sound. for others, maybe the mX module is more suited for acoustic and more detail oriented music where there's not much below 60hz.
-definitely a wider sound-stage
-increased amount of transient detail, even in instruments like a mandolin (like Chris Thile)

64 Audio Stay updated on 64 Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/64audio https://twitter.com/64audio https://instagram.com/64audio https://www.64audio.com/ info@64audio.com
Mar 4, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #16,203 of 23,594
Thanks for reading! I did a double-take when you said there wasn't one multi-kilobuck IEM I haven't bashed, but yes, I have to admit that's mostly true. It definitely makes for a good introspective into reviewer biases. My personal price ceiling - around $1500 - is much lower than a lot of the people who frequent these threads, and like so, there's an incentive for me to conclude that something more expensive is not necessarily better. Then there are, of course, the higher expectations that inherently come with the price tag of a multi-kilobuck IEM. I would expect a multi-kilobuck IEM to be top-tier; that is, an IEM that stands at the audio summit irrespective of its price.

I think there's also a fine line between bashing and citing potential dealbreakers; my EE Odin review is probably a good example, as it's one of two multi-kilobuck IEMs (the other being the Tia Trio) that I've remotely given the nod too. Given the highly-subjective nature of the hobby, I'll almost always be able to find something that's not perfect about a given IEM. But I definitely look forward to if I ever find an IEM that, to my taste, I can say is near-devoid of flaw!
Appreciate the reply. I sincerely hope you will find it and I will certainly continue to follow you. Good luck.

Mar 4, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #16,204 of 23,594
Not the right topic. But that VE8 Anniversary Edition got my attention. :)
Wow. That's a really unique look.. Almost want to say It's a Wes Anderson look haha. Not sure how else to describe it. The VE8 is really something!

When I got my hd6xx, I fell in love with it for listening to acoustic music. I've owned a few high end headphones but nothing nothing compared. When I got my VE8, I honestly teared up a bit because I finally had that sound back and then some. If I want to listen to Dire Straits, Chris Rea, etc nothing else comes even close, and I've got quite the lineup.

Re: Fourte
I wanted to give my thoughts on it, since there seems to be a bit of controversy about it. I've owned mine for a few months now and it's definitely my most used iem.

I personally think that what @Precogvision has merit and should be considered before buying the Fourte. Not going to lie, it hurt a little bit, but I don't think he's wrong. I've read many of his reviews and I've never seen him try to be inflammatory or crap on gear just for the sake of it. He's hard on products and he should be! Yeah, these are our babies, but they cost an arm and a leg and the quality, sound and accessories should reflect that.

That being said, the Fourtes quirks don't bother me. I notice them, but nothing more. I fully enjoy it despite its flaws. When I bought mine, I was afraid that they would bother me, but I fell in love with it pretty quickly. It even took my Trios spot as a daily.

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #16,205 of 23,594
The Illenium track is an interesting one, in that it's highly compressed (about 15% louder from at least two sources I found it on compared to regular tracks), and leaning very bright. Still, the Fourte handles it with aplomb (dare I say even better than LX), even though I couldn't really find the 'drop' Prog speaks of.

Prog, between you and me, THIS is a drop (0:56-1:06): 😛

Which takes me full circle back to my original point. However excellent a review it was (and is), it's only one very specific lens on the Fourte, quality as that lens may be. Every reviewer will have his or her own tracklist, own music prefs, and own sensitivities to different frequencies, and it's with that lens that they review the gear they're given. I include myself in that basket, so when someone disagrees with my reviews, I almost expect it (and when they don't, I'm pleasantly surprised).

In fact, there's probably only so much in any review you can agree or disagree with, because the bulk of it - what the reviewer is hearing and what he finds pleasant (or not) is often a complete mystery.

PS. As for Trio being 'better' than Fourte, we can debate that one until the cows come home and still disagree. So let's leave that one there.

Yup, you’re 100% correct that the Illenium track is highly compressed. In fact, I want to say it’s a straight 3 or 4 (which is pretty bad) on the DRMeter, which is why I tried to make the distinction that it's not really about the dynamic contrast on this track for me! Unfortunately, many of the songs that I enjoy are overly-loud in their dynamic range. I do listen to some classical/orchestral, but I'll be the first to admit it's mainly just while studying and going to sleep. Thanks for taking the time to go through and try some of the tracks I used too :)

Love the review. Just to confirm, the faceplates are actual copper. They are coated to protect the copper and keep it from continuing to age.

Got it! Thank you for the clarification, I'll forward this to the editor to get it updated.

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #16,206 of 23,594
Me. It truly makes them sound as neutral as possible.

I was running U12T with Fir O and DUW-02 cable and found it to be the best I've got out of them personally :)

Didn't test with MX but did experiment with the FIR a while ago.

we have. Anytime we increase or reduce the amount of pressure relief it mainly makes changes in the bottom end. Interestingly, because of psychoacoustics it changes our perceptions of the whole frequency spectrum.

-more HF "sizzle"
-good enough bass response to listen to more modern music, for people who like a brighter sound. for others, maybe the mX module is more suited for acoustic and more detail oriented music where there's not much below 60hz.
-increased amount of transient detail, even in instruments like a mandolin (like Chris Thile)
Thanks for the comments. I tried and it definitely opened the sound a lot, reduced the sub low, but even though is still great. It definitely gave another life to it. Feels like another IEM.

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #16,207 of 23,594

-more HF "sizzle"
I've heard people say this before but I only experienced it for myself recently. I eqed some heavy bass when I went to the gym and noticed how much it changed the mids and dulled the treble.

The Nio is fun to experiment with too. With the m15/20, I'm not a huge fan of the bass for music that needs a faster decay. Swapping in the mx module is like giving the Nio ninja shoes. It feels so light and nimble.

I've had iems with tuning switches and never found much joy in changing them, but you guys did an amazing job with the apex modules. It's really like having 2-3 iems in one.

Also, I'm dying over here waiting for details on the new iems 😅. Spare us this agony!

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #16,209 of 23,594
Mar 4, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #16,210 of 23,594
Mar 4, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #16,211 of 23,594
Hahahaha fair enough. I smelled some controversy with this review. But, he just wanted to put top perfomers to fight.

Mar 4, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #16,212 of 23,594
Absolutely loving the different Apex modules on my Nio's. Think I will order and try some of the Fir ones as well.
Not only are the IEMs so comfortable with the pressure release, but the different tuning really alters the sound. And not just the bass, the whole spectrum seems to shift - I know, psychoaccoustics.

I hope this is the future, and rather than buying new IEMs we can just buy new apex modules.

The Nio with the MX modules almost sounds like the Trio.

Mar 4, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #16,213 of 23,594
Absolutely loving the different Apex modules on my Nio's. Think I will order and try some of the Fir ones as well.
Not only are the IEMs so comfortable with the pressure release, but the different tuning really alters the sound. And not just the bass, the whole spectrum seems to shift - I know, psychoaccoustics.

I hope this is the future, and rather than buying new IEMs we can just buy new apex modules.

Yep apex is one dang good tech that I cannot live without. It saves my ears big time

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #16,214 of 23,594
Agree, I have all the Fir modules and 64 Audi modules, they all sound different.

And another dimension of adjustment is the insert depth of the module. Instead of fully insert the module to the socket, pull it out a little bit, e.g pull out 0.5mm, 1mm, 1.5mm ...
The more you pull the module out, the sound stage becomes bigger, more relaxed, more holographic. - for casual, for fun.
Deeper the module insertion, the sound stage is smaller, but the music instruments' positioning is more precise, more focused. - for critical listening, for studio monitoring.

BTW, I like ADEL MAM module the best, I used to have the old A12 iem that's compatible with both ADEL and APEX form factor, to me ADEL MaM is more relaxed (less fatigure to the ear), more open and natural, bigger sound stage.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #16,215 of 23,594
It's more open and less thick, for sure, but it can't compare with Trio's bass when using MX. In fact the bass is the least interesting part of the Nio once you switch to MX - the focus then becomes mids and treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back