The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 28, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #12,151 of 23,532
So I had some fun trying new iem’s today and am seriously impressed by the new Final flagship. Not pictured, are the Dunu Luna, and they’re quite disappointing.

Nio - S+ Musicality | S- Resolution

A8000 - A+ Musicality | S+ Resolution

Andro S - A Musicality | A+ Resolution

Dunu Luna - B Musicality - A+ Resolution9809632D-A1E6-4E4C-A283-3683F93A73A4.jpeg

So which one you like most? A8000 or Nio.

Jul 28, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #12,152 of 23,532
You mentioned pairing the Trio with a good copper cable. Is the PW 1960s one of the best pairings that you are aware of?
Yes, if you want a more balanced sound from the trio...not the most details coming out but the purity of tone is truly enjoyable.

Jul 28, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #12,153 of 23,532
Finally module rolled the Nio, at least the bass reducing ones. Pretty sure the Fir O module is the winner so far. Still a good amount of bass with more detail coming through and a bigger sounding stage. Not sure I love the bass presentation and quality with the m15 module but need to give it more ear time

As for the Trio, I still think it can hang with the Nio. More up front vocals and a little more exciting treble to me. I still think I'll use the Nio more but the Trio might be the more musical, fun listen. Only got a few hours on the Nio at this point but like everyone else so far I'm a big fan, especially with all the module options now. Tuneable module next?? :)

Jul 28, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #12,154 of 23,532
So which one you like most? A8000 or Nio.
A8000 isn’t always the most emotionally engaging. Nio wins 70% of the time.

A8000 is magical with the right tracks. Up there with KSE in treble effortlessness.

Sounds like a mini Utopia!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 29, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #12,157 of 23,532
Hard to imagine a sadder existence...
It might not be so sad if you have enough money.
I'm not sure it's all about the money. In fact lack of money is what makes gear-o-philing so fun and frustrating for so many at the same time. Jump onto Crin's Discord and I bet most of the guys fussing over the endless flood of cheap Chi-Fi IEMs are in it for the gear. Hardly a mention of music anywhere. It's all about getting ahead on limited resources...like the game of life for the majority in a way, mirrored in our little hobby. It just gets more sophisticated and the stakes get much higher the further up the money ladder you go, but the principles remain the same.

Those that have REAL money don't really play this game because limited resources don't come into the equation. They just buy what they want when they want and don't really care for specifics. Those with REAL money are probably also less interested in the chase for the perfect IEM. Once you remove the financial constraints of the game, it's game over.

Jul 29, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #12,158 of 23,532
Yes I will underscore your point on the community here...I have also really enjoyed engaging with this crew, getting to know folks' (as much as is possible via this medium), and learning a LOT about this hobby from others who are much more well versed than I. I can say unequivocally that this community has shaped/influenced my journey in a good way.
THIS. I'm hopefully at a point now where I can stop chasing 'endgame' (been here since last year, actually, until the minor relapse with Nio - but that was a straight swap for the U12t). So I keep coming back for the chatter, the thrill of reading about people discovering new things about my gear and their own, and helping new people who've just started on their own journeys. It's a mix of community and gear that keeps this place interesting, so thank you all for being part of it.

PS. I used to subscribe to several threads, now it's basically just this one. Easily one of the most civil, knowledgeable and respectful threads in the community.

Jul 29, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #12,159 of 23,532
It depends whether you considering yourself a melophile, an audiophile or a “gear-o-phile”
LOVE this. Haven't seen it described like this before, but come to think of it, it makes perfect sense. It should be pinned somewhere or included in Head-Fi's audio glossary.

I always thought you were either an audiophile or melophile (first time I've heard this term), but I have to admit, at many points along the journey - and even now on occasion - I have been and continue to be a gear-o-phile. I love music, but I love it more when it's played on great gear that gives you an emotional connection. I also love gear independently from the music (even though you need the music to have the gear). So maybe I lean more towards audiophile, but when I have my reviewer's hat on, or am debating this or that piece of gear, I'm definitely a gear-o-phile. At those times I don't really think about the music, as long as it's something I enjoy. I use music only as a means of testing how it sounds on the gear.

Most of us can probably identify with all three at one time or another, so I don't think we have to put ourselves into just one box. But the hobby is, ultimately, about the gear. There are plenty of music-only forums and even audiophile-only forums where music and gear are equally weighted. I never visit those forums, so make of that what you will.

Jul 29, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #12,160 of 23,532
After a long session of A-B-ing between U12t and Nio(my friend unit), I realize something that BA bass of U12t fit into my liking more than DD bass from Nio.
Well, I'm glad I did like U12t more, Otherwise I'll have to spend more on IEM.

Jul 29, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #12,161 of 23,532
After a long session of A-B-ing between U12t and Nio(my friend unit), I realize something that BA bass of U12t fit into my liking more than DD bass from Nio.
Well, I'm glad I did like U12t more, Otherwise I'll have to spend more on IEM.
Interestingly I found the same a few weeks ago when I did a detailed comparison between the two. However the Nio does seem to work better on certain material, so I'll likely end up keeping both.

I am still waiting for the arrival of the FIR O module which a lot of people have said has very good synergy with the Nio; though I know it won't speed up the bass to that of the BA's of the U12t.

The other observation I have, now that the Nio has been "burned in" for circa 100 hours, is that there is quite a perceptible (positive) change. The bass has been dialed down a few notches and I find it bleeds less, allowing more of the mid and treble detail / articulation through. Still nowhere near the space and separation of the U12t, but marked improvements from the Nio when it was new.

Jul 29, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #12,162 of 23,532
Anyone know if there's a tranfer program for A18t users to exchange the unit to A18s?

No program. They have the Legacy Loyalty program, but that is supposed to be for upgrading product no longer manufactured or no longer for sale.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #12,165 of 23,532
Currently there is an 18% rebate offer for 18 driver IEMs from 64Audio. I don't think I've ever seen an offer that gives more that 20%.

Me either, except for the 30% price drop on Trio late last year and earlier this year. I jumped on that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back