The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 28, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #12,136 of 23,560
It depends whether you considering yourself a melophile, an audiophile or a “gear-o-phile”

I personally consider myself the latter first, an audiophile second and a melophile third. I can enjoy music on anything, but the gear is what really brings me joy in this hobby (as well as others actually, now that I think about it)
I can agree as well. I enjoy the gear aspect of it because I can listen to music any way really... but finding the gear that really brings it to life is what I enjoy. Then again if there was nothing to listen to at this quality there’d be no gear to hunt.

Jul 28, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #12,137 of 23,560
Interesting; how would you differentiate being an audiophile and a melophile? Someone who loves high fidelity music vs someone who just loves music? I prob would not have thought to distinguish the two.
The gear-o-phile notion I understand, of course.
A melophile is a guy who simply put loves music. An audiophile is something who loves music reproduction - for example gasping at the amount of detail an IEM can reproduce, or the soundstage or whatever

Jul 28, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #12,138 of 23,560
End game exists, it's just a matter of knowing when it's OK to stop or if you really want to keep looking for the next "best" thing over and over again. Personally, I find the "TOTL quest" to be quite exhausting, especially with all the new releases (chifi in particular). Getting something you enjoy and sticking with it for a while, like @Rockwell75 is doing, is something I'm aiming to do in the future (well, I had been doing it for about 8 months, but then the Nio got announced). At the end of the day, we're in this hobby for the music, not the gear, and we should always remember that.

Yes. I am not interested in chasing TOTL but rather an IEM or a selection of IEMs which excels in the genres I listen to. In my case, I have shortlisted the 3 setups I mentioned and it should be good for a very long time. I am actually now into discovering new genres of music and expanding my appreciation of music.

Jul 28, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #12,139 of 23,560
Yes. I am not interested in chasing TOTL but rather an IEM or a selection of IEMs which excels in the genres I listen to. In my case, I have shortlisted the 3 setups I mentioned and it should be good for a very long time. I am actually now into discovering new genres of music and expanding my appreciation of music.
This is where I want to be or my goal.

Jul 28, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #12,140 of 23,560
Hehe all the heroes of headfi and music world have gathered all at the same spot 🤩
We all sitting at a round table right now and throwing in our experience of our journey!

It is the way it is we search until we are satisfied or stumbled on a gear that we didnt expect to sound so good and we fall in love.

I been in that loop my self! I will admit! With sincere honesty the period where I was the happiest melonan was in the beginning of my journey.
Back then I had spotify, shure se846 + jds cd5 dac/amp.
I was a so happy guy for 2 years.
Until I felt into the wormhole and started to seek the ToTL best gear.

Now I at the summit! I have the best stuff! Am I more happy? Whell I lost spotify now I dont stream. I am happy yes but it did cost me a lot of money to get down here where I at now...
Was it necessary? No could of been as happy back then...

Though I got the best gear now! And I am the true Tiger ears on Headfi! :feet: :herb::japanese_ogre:🐈🐅🐯

Jul 28, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #12,141 of 23,560
Interesting; how would you differentiate being an audiophile and a melophile?

An audiophile is possibly someone who loves music more when it's played on nicer gear. I remember a quote from...I think it was Paul Mcartney...who was asked what his favorite sound system to listen to music was. His answer was something to the effect of "whatever is playing at that moment" or something. I've probably bungled the quote but the idea was that for him the quality of sound system made no difference at all and was not a factor in his being able to enjoy or get immersed in music. @mvvRAZ makes an interesting observation and I hadn't really thought of it that way before. In some respects I guess an audiophile is the midpoint between a melophile and a gear-o-phile. I'm probably an audiophile primarily as my enjoyment of music definitely increases when the quality of the gear I'm using. I would say that all audiophiles are melophiles but you could be a gear-o-phile without necessarily being either of the other two, with audio just being your "gear flavor of the month" or so to speak. High fidelity sound is something I've lusted after my whole life and it's only now, as an adult with a career and some spare cash, that I've finally been able to indulge in it.

Jul 28, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #12,142 of 23,560
...all audiophiles are melophiles but you could be a gear-o-phile without necessarily being either of the other two, with audio just being your "gear flavor of the month."

Hard to imagine a sadder existence...

Jul 28, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #12,143 of 23,560
Jul 28, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #12,144 of 23,560
An audiophile is possibly someone who loves music more when it's played on nicer gear. I remember a quote from...I think it was Paul Mcartney...who was asked what his favorite sound system to listen to music was. His answer was something to the effect of "whatever is playing at that moment" or something. I've probably bungled the quote but the idea was that for him the quality of sound system made no difference at all and was not a factor in his being able to enjoy or get immersed in music. @mvvRAZ makes an interesting observation and I hadn't really thought of it that way before. In some respects I guess an audiophile is the midpoint between a melophile and a gear-o-phile. I'm probably an audiophile primarily as my enjoyment of music definitely increases when the quality of the gear I'm using. I would say that all audiophiles are melophiles but you could be a gear-o-phile without necessarily being either of the other two, with audio just being your "gear flavor of the month" or so to speak. High fidelity sound is something I've lusted after my whole life and it's only now, as an adult with a career and some spare cash, that I've finally been able to indulge in it.
Yes I'm with you.
As you said (and I said as well), I had never really considered the difference between a "melo" and "audio" phile...
Of course I enjoy music, but enjoy it much much more when it's on higher quality gear...so I suppose audiophile, as well (not that labels really matter)?
to be totally frank, and with all due respect to @mvvRAZ, I would like to avoid being a gear-o-phile. Would love to find 3-4 IEMs that I love for different situations/genres, and be able to settle in for a couple of years (and I'm hoping that the Nio and LX SE get me to that point) - the "chase" can be fun, but I also find it a bit exhausting, to be completely frank.

Jul 28, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #12,145 of 23,560
I love the Trio specially paired with a good copper cable which slightly lifts its mids making it more balanced with excellent tonality.
Never really bothered to spend time with Z1R as comfort and iem weight is an issue for me.
Curious with Nio now after reading all your positive comments.
You mentioned pairing the Trio with a good copper cable. Is the PW 1960s one of the best pairings that you are aware of?

Jul 28, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #12,146 of 23,560
I agree with you though, most of the time I barely care what it is I’m listening to as long as it’s something I enjoy. I go through different phases where I just feed different music to my gear and for the most part “listen to the gear” and not so much to the music. This is what the hobby is all about for me, and discovering new music and all that barely even makes it to the priority list

@gnahra I’d say the only actually important thing is to know what you want and what you’re in this for. @toaster for example discovered the Erl, and has since barely even looked at new acquisitions because it satisfies him, almost like a tool for musical reproduction as opposed to the centerpiece of his engagement with music

Jul 28, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #12,147 of 23,560
I agree with you though, most of the time I barely care what it is I’m listening to as long as it’s something I enjoy. I go through different phases where I just feed different music to my gear and for the most part “listen to the gear” and not so much to the music. This is what the hobby is all about for me, and discovering new music and all that barely even makes it to the priority list

@gnahra I’d say the only actually important thing is to know what you want and what you’re in this for. @toaster for example discovered the Erl, and has since barely even looked at new acquisitions because it satisfies him, almost like a tool for musical reproduction as opposed to the centerpiece of his engagement with music
Yep makes complete sense

Jul 28, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #12,148 of 23,560
the "chase" can be fun, but I also find it a bit exhausting, to be completely frank.

Indeed. When I joined Head Fi my aim was to do some research and "get in and get out" once I found what I was looking for. Turns out I really enjoy the community here and interacting with others who love the same things I do. I was swept up in "the search" for a while but sooner than later I just wanted to settle with something and enjoy it rather than constantly being the lookout for something else. I honestly don't understand how some of these reviewers who are constantly cycling through all kinds of gear each month find any time to actually settle in and enjoy what they are listening to-- trying to keep track of everything would utterly overwhelm me and suck the joy out of it.

@toaster for example discovered the Erl, and has since barely even looked at new acquisitions because it satisfies him

I'm basically in the same boat (though I will jump on the chance to finally hear an Elysium and a Nio should the opportunity arise).

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #12,149 of 23,560
Indeed. When I joined Head Fi my aim was to do some research and "get in and get out" once I found what I was looking for. Turns out I really enjoy the community here and interacting with others who love the same things I do. I was swept up in "the search" for a while but sooner than later I just wanted to settle with something and enjoy it rather than constantly being the lookout for something else. I honestly don't understand how some of these reviewers who are constantly cycling through all kinds of gear each month find any time to actually settle in and enjoy what they are listening to-- trying to keep track of everything utterly overwhelm me and suck the joy out of it.

I'm basically in the same boat (though I will jump on the chance to finally hear an Elysium and a Nio should the opportunity arise).
Yes I will underscore your point on the community here...I have also really enjoyed engaging with this crew, getting to know folks' (as much as is possible via this medium), and learning a LOT about this hobby from others who are much more well versed than I. I can say unequivocally that this community has shaped/influenced my journey in a good way.

Jul 28, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #12,150 of 23,560
So I had some fun trying new iem’s today and am seriously impressed by the new Final flagship. Not pictured, are the Dunu Luna, and they’re quite disappointing.

Nio - S+ Musicality | S- Resolution

A8000 - A+ Musicality | S+ Resolution

Andro S - A Musicality | A+ Resolution

Dunu Luna - B Musicality - A+ Resolution
9809632D-A1E6-4E4C-A283-3683F93A73A4.jpeg

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back