The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jun 17, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #10,532 of 23,668
Okay, thank you, can’t try it as Trió only comes with the 3.5mm terminated one. I have a 1960s 2wires in 2.5mm so it’s not a direct comparison.

It is still very very similar no? Its Unbalanced, difference is that you got 4 wires probably vs mine 8. The results should be similar

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #10,534 of 23,668
I mean because it would be comparing single ended (with the stock cable) versus balanced (with the 1960)

U can get an adapter to pw1960 into 3.5 then it be comparable

Jun 17, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #10,536 of 23,668
I have a noob question about the LID tech on the u12t. Does it actually work?

Reason I ask is because I'm noticing that there's a bit of bass roll-off and loss of impact when I use my Sony TA-ZH1ES dac/amp compared to my ZX507 walkman, which is something I've only experienced with lower impedance IEM's like the CA Solaris & Andromeda. I would've thought the LID tech would stop this from happening.

Do you have to use the stock cable for it to work? For reference, the OI on the TA-ZH1ES is approx 5 ohms and the walkman is approx 1 ohm (using the 4.4mm ports)

While LID should theoretically equalise all differences that come from impedance mismatches, it won't compensate for differences that may come from the DAC, or how the amp section itself has been tuned, for example. I'm aware Sony tune their devices on a software level as well, as shown by all the different custom firmwares that've come out for the WM1A and WM1Z. So, those can definitely contribute to differences you'd be hearing in spite of LID.

Jun 17, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #10,537 of 23,668
While LID should theoretically equalise all differences that come from impedance mismatches, it won't compensate for differences that may come from the DAC, or how the amp section itself has been tuned, for example. I'm aware Sony tune their devices on a software level as well, as shown by all the different custom firmwares that've come out for the WM1A and WM1Z. So, those can definitely contribute to differences you'd be hearing in spite of LID.

Thanks for the info :)

I’m fairly certain that it’s not a case of the TA-ZH1ES being tuned with softer bass compared to the WM1Z, as I don’t experience any reduction of bass quantity/extension when using my other IEM’s such as IER-Z1R & M9, EE Legend X, Anole VX and others I’ve tried that have an impedance higher than 10 ohms. In fact it’s normally the other way around, where the WM1Z sounds less bassy than the TA-ZH1ES.

The only other time I’ve experienced this is with the Campfire IEMs Solaris SE & Andromeda S which are both rated below 10 ohms, which I figured was a given considering the higher output impedance of the TA-ZH1ES. Hence why I was surprised that the u12t would also react this way with the LID technology. It’s certainly not as extreme as the CA’s. And as @Vitaly2017 said, the TA is designed for headphones, not IEM’s, so maybe I’m expecting too much. I just really love the sound of the TA and it’s my main source on my desk, so I hoped the u12t would go with it :)

Jun 17, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #10,538 of 23,668
I have a noob question about the LID tech on the u12t. Does it actually work?

Reason I ask is because I'm noticing that there's a bit of bass roll-off and loss of impact when I use my Sony TA-ZH1ES dac/amp compared to my ZX507 walkman, which is something I've only experienced with lower impedance IEM's like the CA Solaris & Andromeda. I would've thought the LID tech would stop this from happening.

Do you have to use the stock cable for it to work? For reference, the OI on the TA-ZH1ES is approx 5 ohms and the walkman is approx 1 ohm (using the 4.4mm ports)

LID should preserve most of the sound signature between devices but stuff like damping factor are still up in the air as far as I've understood it. At 5ohm you have a very bad damping factor, at 1 ohm you should be fine (incl OI from stock cable you'd be looking at 2+ ohm which is ~1:6, not great but not terrible), and is the difference you might be hearing in my opinion.

EDIT: I googled the IEMs you mentioned, they all have higher impedance (remember the u12t can go as low as 10ohm), which reinforces the assumption it's related to damping factor. I have been noticing this myself (wrote about it a couple of pages ago) and changing just the cable reduced my output impedance by 30% (=50% better damping factor) and now bass roll-off, if any, is not noticable.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #10,539 of 23,668
LID should preserve most of the sound signature between devices but stuff like damping factor are still up in the air as far as I've understood it. At 5ohm you have a very bad damping factor, at 1 ohm you should be fine (incl OI from stock cable you'd be looking at 2+ ohm which is ~1:6, not great but not terrible), and is the difference you might be hearing in my opinion.

EDIT: I googled the IEMs you mentioned, they all have higher impedance (remember the u12t can go as low as 10ohm), which reinforces the assumption it's related to damping factor. I have been noticing this myself (wrote about it a couple of pages ago) and changing just the cable halfed my output impedance and now bass roll-off, if any, is not noticable.

Jun 17, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #10,540 of 23,668
Jun 17, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #10,541 of 23,668
Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #10,542 of 23,668
Jun 17, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #10,544 of 23,668
Hmmm good question, yes LiD should balance all inaccurate impedances. You shouldn't experience this but I do know even if it has a lid tech it still getting affected by cable rolling device rolling ect ect
So I can think that this is how it sounds of your Ta!

Zx507 has a big and super deep sub bass even more then 1z!

See how zx507 vs 1z affects bass and if once more you feel same scenario I can then say its that Ta has less bass then....

Yea try stock cable can be an informative experiment for all of us! 🙂
Okay, thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back