The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jun 16, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #10,501 of 23,575
I am no expert of course what I tried to refer to is this

"
The Premium Cable is designed and tested for maximum durability and features an ultra-low resistance, Silver-Plated Copper (SPC) wire that optimizes the performance of our tia™ drivers. With an improved damping factor, the bass is deeper yet more controlled, and the silver-plating increases transparency and micro-detail for an immersive musical experience. The silver-plating of the wire also helps prevent the copper from oxidizing and turning green. "

Also from fir site here

"
Our Scorpion wire contains twice the number of individual strands of wire compared to standard IEM cables. Because of this, the resistance is cut in half and this allows the lows get deeper and tighter, and the highs to have that perfect splash. Our Scorpion wire allows you to create a cable which takes full advantage of a low resistance design, giving your in-ear monitors an even more incredible sound. "

As you can see both cables are same and offer super low resistance, this is something I havent seen on other sites talk about. I suspect this maybe plays a role in the good sound quality?

Double Helix Cables are one of a few companies who believe the best possible sound comes from conductance. They base their designs entirely on conductivity, hence the immense use of silver in increasingly high strand counts. It's also why they denounce gold, due to its low conductivity. Whereas, companies like PlusSound and Effect Audio believe playing around with conductivity - by mixing metals like gold and silver, for example - allow them to tailor the sound and achieve a certain signature. As always, though, the proof is in the pudding. :wink:

Jun 16, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #10,502 of 23,575
Double Helix Cables are one of a few companies who believe the best possible sound comes from conductance. They base their designs entirely on conductivity, hence the immense use of silver in increasingly high strand counts. It's also why they denounce gold, due to its low conductivity. Whereas, companies like PlusSound and Effect Audio believe playing around with conductivity - by mixing metals like gold and silver, for example - allow them to tailor the sound and achieve a certain signature. As always, though, the proof is in the pudding. :wink:

Norne is similar to DHC, not surprising since they’ve known each other from way back then. And I’m a loyal customer of Norne Audio, not because I’m a pro of purity/conductivity, but more on the value for money aspect. The sound is top notch and price remains relatively reasonable compared to its competitors.

Jun 16, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #10,503 of 23,575
Norne is similar to DHC, not surprising since they’ve known each other from way back then. And I’m a loyal customer of Norne Audio, not because I’m a pro of purity/conductivity, but more on the value for money aspect. The sound is top notch and price remains relatively reasonable compared to its competitors.

Yeah, I believe they came out with Type 3 or Type 4 Litz together, if I'm not mistaken.

Jun 16, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #10,504 of 23,575
Here a couple of photos how my Electro Acousti cable turned out. They even kept my demands to get specific connectors to match the theme of each earphone, and fitted the 3.5 jack with an L-connector. Super pleased :)

Attachments

• 20200616_180309.jpg
    20200616_180309.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200616_175545.jpg
    20200616_175545.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Jun 16, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #10,505 of 23,575
Yeah, I believe they came out with Type 3 or Type 4 Litz together, if I'm not mistaken.

Isnt plussound type 6? What exactly types means?

Yea and true plussound makes beautiful cables they are nice and ergonomically comfy.

I never heard the DHC or Normie so I have no idea on there signatures.

What I can say is plussound has a nice tonality in there cables but I found its not as resolving to others ( pw1960 )
Maybe because it was a 4 wire version?

Hey would it affect my resistance if I have a 1.5m instead of 1.2?
Should I stay strictly with 1.2? For best results maybe this also 1 aspect in my stock cable vs pw1960 1.5m long???

Jun 16, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #10,506 of 23,575
Here a couple of photos how my Electro Acousti cable turned out. They even kept my demands to get specific connectors to match the theme of each earphone, and fitted the 3.5 jack with an L-connector. Super pleased :)
Nice. Which type are they exactly? I think I have a similar one on the way for my U12T, but with 'standard' color connectors and a straight 2.5 mm jack. I believe thicker too, 8 core. They have been sitting in customs for weeks now though...:)

Jun 16, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #10,507 of 23,575
Nice. Which type are they ? I think I have a similar one on the way for my U12T, but with 'standard' color connectors and a straight 2.5 mm jack. I believe thicker too, 8 core. They have been sitting in customs for weeks now though...:)
It's the MS series. The 49.5% copper/ 49.5% silver and 1% gold, with the copper cable having a transparent blue sleeving, so the whole thing looks silverish-blue. Technically a hybrid cable I guess. If you check Hakuzen's thread in the cables section it's cable number 175.

EDIT: They also have an 8-core version but it wouldn't fit in my tiny carrying case. That one has even lower output impedance at around 0.2Ohm.

EDIT 2: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000158772005.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.64544c4d3RPyMJ

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #10,508 of 23,575
Yes, that's the one I ordered too. Nice to see what it looks like in your pictures. I hope it arrives soon..

Jun 16, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #10,509 of 23,575
I am no expert of course what I tried to refer to is this

"
The Premium Cable is designed and tested for maximum durability and features an ultra-low resistance, Silver-Plated Copper (SPC) wire that optimizes the performance of our tia™ drivers. With an improved damping factor, the bass is deeper yet more controlled, and the silver-plating increases transparency and micro-detail for an immersive musical experience. The silver-plating of the wire also helps prevent the copper from oxidizing and turning green. "

Also from fir site here

"
Our Scorpion wire contains twice the number of individual strands of wire compared to standard IEM cables. Because of this, the resistance is cut in half and this allows the lows get deeper and tighter, and the highs to have that perfect splash. Our Scorpion wire allows you to create a cable which takes full advantage of a low resistance design, giving your in-ear monitors an even more incredible sound. "

As you can see both cables are same and offer super low resistance, this is something I havent seen on other sites talk about. I suspect this maybe plays a role in the good sound quality?
[/QUOTE

o would disagree with the FIR Audio summary though. Strand count does not reduce resistance, the gauge of the wire or the composition of the wire will affect that from my knowledge and reading. It each strand is silver plated and silver conducts a bit better than cooper then resistance should be lowered. But not by 1/2. Silver wire is about 7% more conductive than cooper. And don’t forget, the copper wire is only played with silver. It is probably the “skin affect” as mentioned earlier. Insulation, etc also play a role in other factors. Tks.

Jun 16, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #10,510 of 23,575

Well okay but why I am hearing so much goodness from my stock cable???

I know its ofc and nothing near the supremacy of the pw1960 cable butttt.
Gosh I feel everything in such perfectionists accuracy.
Every tone timbre position feeling distances changes in nuances such as layers of the tonal textures! Like darn I never heard that before!

I just only can say it has to be related to my wm1z Kmod and stock cable + stock foams.

It is extreamly realistic natural and so so beyond that!
I am still searching to comprehend what is happening but I am in heaven here.
I just rediscovered my Noir and once again they proved them self to be not simply the best but soo transparent and able to show intensely immersive experiences. To feel music to such degree is simply a forbidden pleasure to any mortals here guys.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #10,511 of 23,575

I know its ofc and nothing near the supremacy of the pw1960 cable butttt.
Gosh I feel everything in such perfectionists accuracy.
Every tone timbre position feeling distances changes in nuances such as layers of the tonal textures! Like darn I never heard that before!

I just only can say it has to be related to my wm1z Kmod and stock cable + stock foams.

It is extreamly realistic natural and so so beyond that!
I am still searching to comprehend what is happening but I am in heaven here.
I just rediscovered my Noir and once again they proved them self to be not simply the best but soo transparent and able to show intensely immersive experiences. To feel music to such degree is simply a forbidden pleasure to any mortals here guys.
Because cables more or less sound the same?

Jun 16, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #10,512 of 23,575
Because cables more or less sound the same?

Not really that I disagree they all sound different and noir shows that difference very very prominently. One of the iems I ever owned that can literally become a completely different iem by just cable change.

What I think is 64a tuned this to the best possible with stock cable.

Jun 16, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #10,513 of 23,575

Because you like the cable. It's all preference. I will melt my stock cable into a silver-lined copper cube and cast it into the angry molten fires of Mordor. Give me my Leonidas II back, please and thank you. Mine is currently en route to Singapore to receive an 8-wire upgrade, so Frodo and I will need to suffer for a few weeks.

Jun 16, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #10,514 of 23,575
Not really that I disagree they all sound different and noir shows that difference very very prominently. One of the iems I ever owned that can literally become a completely different iem by just cable change.

What I think is 64a tuned this to the best possible with stock cable.
Now put on some Symbio tips without the inside foam and get ready for bass nirvana. Proggin 65daysofstatic

Jun 16, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #10,515 of 23,575
Skin effect. Higher freqs travel on the outside of the wire. More wires, more surface area for high freq travel. DC travels on centre of the wire.

In principle yes, but not at audio frequencies...

But yes, I replaced the default cable on my N8 quite soon. I just dislike those memory wires, and especially with a custom I simply don't need the added secured fit. Got a Linum SuperBax, which is just perfect for my needs, lightweight and thin, yet strong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back