The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jan 31, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #8,806 of 23,720
Jazz; both instrumental and vocal . , classical. Pop . I really like male vocals . I like bass but I look for quality over quantity.

would you say you appreciate more of a wetter, and more organic sound, or a precise and extremely detailed sound?

also, do you care for a very refined and detailed treble, with lots of energy?

Jan 31, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #8,807 of 23,720
I’ve had the U12t for a few days now and as much as the resolution and clarity are amazing, I’m finding the sound a little clinical. I am currently using an EA Eros II 8 wire cable that is a very revealing cable, like a scalpel. It did amazing things for the EE Phantom I once had but I think it’s too cold for the U12t. I am pretty partial to EA cables and wonder what are people finding the best match to bring a little more emotion back into the music?

Jan 31, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #8,808 of 23,720
My trio arrived on Monday. I'm going to write quite a bit here because, as others have said, it's quite overlooked. Before it, I had the Z1R for a few days and I wasn't very impressed. This, though, is something else entirely. It's the most cohesive hybrid that I've heard. The mid-range only feels slightly recessed, but it retains some body for vocals and the tonality is correct. Vocals are at the perfect distance for me. I'm just so impressed with this because hybrids and vocals do not often mix well (cough Z1R cough).

I was expecting it to be a bit of a basshead iem because big bass is all I remember from when I auditioned it a year ago, but I my memory was flawed on this account. Bass is very tastefully implemented. Sometimes it is subdued and shy and other times it thumps with vigor. It really depends on quantity and type recorded/produced. The Trio is more sub-bass oriented.

As others have already said about the treble, it does have that sweet quality to it. It feels delicate and smooth. I am not a treble head by any means, but I am enjoying it more than I thought I would. On the other hand, the Trios treble can be a double edged sword. On less than ideal recordings, it can bite a little. It's not fatiguing to me, though. I notice it and move on. This is honestly the only flaw that bothers me personally, but I find it easily forgiveable amid the many strengths that the Trio possesses.

Soundstage:

It's big! I'm coming from an Anole VX, which I thought had a big soundstage. It does, but the Trios is even bigger. I'm not going to get into soundstage shapes and all that. It just feels bigger. Each sound has more room to breath. As a soundstage whore, this greatly pleases me.

Resolution/detail:
It is just the right amount. Listening on something like the VX, you just have detail shoved down your throat. Every breath and pin drop is audible. It's not just detail oriented, it is anal about it. The trio is a bit more relaxed and allows you to enjoy the music more instead of constantly demanding attention.

I'm not trying to disparage the VX. It's been my daily for 6-8 months now and I love it to death. It's just a minor gripe.. or another double edged sword.

I think that covers it! Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

Jan 31, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #8,809 of 23,720
I do wonder if I wouldn’t prefer the Trio to the U12t but coming from the EE Legend X I didn’t really want a “V” signature again. I was concerned about too powerful a bass but it doesn’t sound like it steals the show.

Feb 1, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #8,810 of 23,720
I do wonder if I wouldn’t prefer the Trio to the U12t but coming from the EE Legend X I didn’t really want a “V” signature again. I was concerned about too powerful a bass but it doesn’t sound like it steals the show.
It's definitely not too powerful. It feels balanced. Technically, it's v-shaped but it's almost not. If you compare it to the Z1R, vocals sound more full and correct. They're just distanced a comfortable amount.

Screenshot_20200131-214426_Samsung Internet.png

Feb 1, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #8,811 of 23,720
It's definitely not too powerful. It feels balanced. Technically, it's v-shaped but it's almost not. If you compare it to the Z1R, vocals sound more full and correct. They're just distanced a comfortable amount.

Thanks. I really deliberated between the two. I listen to a lot of solo instrumental baroque music or small chamber groups and I thought the U12t would suit that perfectly. They are amazing iems with everything sounding perfect but I ind myself increasing the volume to get a bit more “life” out of them or something. I have a WM1A and a very clinical cable to maybe a warmer source...

Feb 1, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #8,812 of 23,720
I’ve had the U12t for a few days now and as much as the resolution and clarity are amazing, I’m finding the sound a little clinical. I am currently using an EA Eros II 8 wire cable that is a very revealing cable, like a scalpel. It did amazing things for the EE Phantom I once had but I think it’s too cold for the U12t. I am pretty partial to EA cables and wonder what are people finding the best match to bring a little more emotion back into the music?

"Clinical" seems to be the most consistent criticism I hear about the u12t...maybe try a warmer source? Next time I'm in Vic maybe you could try it through my n6ii, which is warmer than the WM1A. Incidentally I recently got the E01 module for the n6ii and it's reigned in the bass on the LX a little bit making it sound less intensely v-shaped.

My trio arrived on Monday. I'm going to write quite a bit here because, as others have said, it's quite overlooked. Before it, I had the Z1R for a few days and I wasn't very impressed. This, though, is something else entirely. It's the most cohesive hybrid that I've heard. The mid-range only feels slightly recessed, but it retains some body for vocals and the tonality is correct. Vocals are at the perfect distance for me. I'm just so impressed with this because hybrids and vocals do not often mix well (cough Z1R cough).

I was expecting it to be a bit of a basshead iem because big bass is all I remember from when I auditioned it a year ago, but I my memory was flawed on this account. Bass is very tastefully implemented. Sometimes it is subdued and shy and other times it thumps with vigor. It really depends on quantity and type recorded/produced. The Trio is more sub-bass oriented.

As others have already said about the treble, it does have that sweet quality to it. It feels delicate and smooth. I am not a treble head by any means, but I am enjoying it more than I thought I would. On the other hand, the Trios treble can be a double edged sword. On less than ideal recordings, it can bite a little. It's not fatiguing to me, though. I notice it and move on. This is honestly the only flaw that bothers me personally, but I find it easily forgiveable amid the many strengths that the Trio possesses.

Soundstage:

It's big! I'm coming from an Anole VX, which I thought had a big soundstage. It does, but the Trios is even bigger. I'm not going to get into soundstage shapes and all that. It just feels bigger. Each sound has more room to breath. As a soundstage whore, this greatly pleases me.

Resolution/detail:
It is just the right amount. Listening on something like the VX, you just have detail shoved down your throat. Every breath and pin drop is audible. It's not just detail oriented, it is anal about it. The trio is a bit more relaxed and allows you to enjoy the music more instead of constantly demanding attention.

I'm not trying to disparage the VX. It's been my daily for 6-8 months now and I love it to death. It's just a minor gripe.. or another double edged sword.

I think that covers it! Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

Nice man...glad you're enjoying it. Would love to hear it again sometime.

Feb 1, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #8,813 of 23,720
"Clinical" seems to be the most consistent criticism I hear about the u12t...maybe try a warmer source? Next time I'm in Vic maybe you could try it through my n6ii, which is warmer than the WM1A. Incidentally I recently got the E01 module for the n6ii and it's reigned in the bass on the LX a little bit making it sound less intensely v-shaped.

Definitely let me know when you are going to be in town. You can hear the U12t again and I’ll try your source.
Nice to hear about that module too. For me the Eros II was the cleaner for both the Phantoms and the LX, not in reducing the bass but adding definition and clarity thereby reducing any sense of bleed or smear.
I just think that in this case the cable is sterilizing the sound a little. This is nit-picking right now and only because the U12t is so close to perfect for what I want.

Feb 1, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #8,814 of 23,720

I am thrilled with Plussound exo6 weave gold plated silver . Compared to my other silver and copper cables the gold gives just a bit more flesh to the sound while softening the edges just a touch. Perfect balance and symbiosis with the TIA drivers .

Feb 1, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #8,815 of 23,720
That was what I felt with the U12t too and I ended up using EA Lionheart most of the time. It adds some warmth to give the U12t a little more emotion. Leonidas II also seemed a great pairing, but I only tried it very briefly and it is a very expensive cable.

Feb 1, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #8,816 of 23,720
would you say you appreciate more of a wetter, and more organic sound, or a precise and extremely detailed sound?

also, do you care for a very refined and detailed treble, with lots of energy?
So I own a custom EE phantom and wish it sounded a bit more open . i love how the mids sound on these. I want a bit more detailed, airy, bigger soundstage with the natural mids of the phantom .
Now when i had the U18t it didn't quite do it for me . But i've heard the Cutsom A18 is smoother and slightly warmer than the U version, that's why i was considering it in the first place. or maybe A12t will be a better choice ?

Feb 1, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #8,817 of 23,720
That was what I felt with the U12t too and I ended up using EA Lionheart most of the time. It adds some warmth to give the U12t a little more emotion. Leonidas II also seemed a great pairing, but I only tried it very briefly and it is a very expensive cable.
I was thinking along the same lines. More about Leonidas 1.

Leonidas 1 can be had cheaper now if someone sells it. I found this cable had a warm tone and I believe it is intentional.

However I disliked the way it was trying to boost the bass.

Feb 1, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #8,818 of 23,720
Hello dear headfiers,

is here any person who listened to the 64 Audio A/U 12t as well as the Shure KSE 1200 and could give his or hers impressions in comparison?
My audio source is Amazon Music HD/Ultra HD into Chord Mojo.

Thanks a lot

Feb 1, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #8,819 of 23,720
I was thinking along the same lines. More about Leonidas 1.

Leonidas 1 can be had cheaper now if someone sells it. I found this cable had a warm tone and I believe it is intentional.

However I disliked the way it was trying to boost the bass.
Never heard the original Leonidas, but that could indeed be a way to save some money.

Feb 2, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #8,820 of 23,720
I am thrilled with Plussound exo6 weave gold plated silver . Compared to my other silver and copper cables the gold gives just a bit more flesh to the sound while softening the edges just a touch. Perfect balance and symbiosis with the TIA drivers .

Thanks for the replies. I’m looking at the Lionheart... I’d love the Leonidas II but that’s well out of my price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back