The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Oct 23, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #8,146 of 23,561
I'm considering buying an U12T and need a second cable - but there are two options, recessed and non-recessed, by 64 Audio provides zero information about which cable goes with their IEMs!

Does anyone know which cable goes with the U12T?
64 universal IEMs are non-recessed

any cable should work

Oct 24, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #8,147 of 23,561
Alright folks unfortunately I don’t think things are as simple as get a better DAC. I think there might be something wrong with my iPhone’s lightning port. Cross post below:

Here’s something bizarre: the audio out of my old iPad mini (the first one with a lightning connector) sounds great. It sounds good out of the iPad’s headphone jack and with the Lightning dongle attached. All of this testing is done with one specific song, the same section of the song where specific instrumentation is missing on the iPhone but present on other sources.

So now I’m wondering if something is wrong with the Lightning port on my iPhone, since an iPad from 3-4 generations ago sounds better both through the headphone jack and the Lightning connector.

Thinking my next steps will be to test my wife’s iPhone (same model as mine) and to reset my iPhone and see if that works.

EDIT: THE AUDIO ON IPHONE WAS SET TO MONO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 24, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #8,148 of 23,561
Alright folks unfortunately I don’t think things are as simple as get a better DAC. I think there might be something wrong with my iPhone’s lightning port. Cross post below:

Here’s something bizarre: the audio out of my old iPad mini (the first one with a lightning connector) sounds great. It sounds good out of the iPad’s headphone jack and with the Lightning dongle attached. All of this testing is done with one specific song, the same section of the song where specific instrumentation is missing on the iPhone but present on other sources.

So now I’m wondering if something is wrong with the Lightning port on my iPhone, since an iPad from 3-4 generations ago sounds better both through the headphone jack and the Lightning connector.

Thinking my next steps will be to test my wife’s iPhone (same model as mine) and to reset my iPhone and see if that works.

At least it's a free upgrade to better sound :p

Oct 24, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #8,149 of 23,561
hah, that's funny.

Oct 24, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #8,150 of 23,561

HOW DID YOU NOT REALISE YOU WERE LISTENING TO MONO :D :D :D :D D

Oct 24, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #8,152 of 23,561
I’m so embarrassed. Sorry everybody.

Lol, don't be, we've all asked such silly questions in the past and some still do.:wink: (Including myself.) If you're still looking for a DAP, another candidate to consider is the FiiO M11, it's priced similar to a Chord Mojo. (M11 is slightly more expensive.) The SQ from it is comparable to Mojo as well, probably even a tiny bit better.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #8,153 of 23,561
I’ve been considering getting a 64 Audio universal IEM but wondering which would be the best for me. The U12T gets good reviews but the higher cost ones seem to attract some negative feedback.

I currently have a few other good IEMs (IER-Z1R, Solaris, Andromeda, Xelento, SE846, EX1000). Which 64 Audio would you recommend as something different?

Oct 25, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #8,154 of 23,561
@MarkF786

i have a "higher cost" model and to me it's clearly the best in 64a's lineup...that's completely worthless information for you.

what sound profile do you look for in an iem?

Oct 25, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #8,155 of 23,561
@MarkF786

i have a "higher cost" model and to me it's clearly the best in 64a's lineup...that's completely worthless information for you.

what sound profile do you look for in an iem?

I tend to like a more a reference tuning; for example, the IER-Z1R and Xelento tend to have too much bass for some tracks, and I find the Solaris and Andromeda to have a more even response.

Oct 25, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #8,156 of 23,561
I tend to like a more a reference tuning; for example, the IER-Z1R and Xelento tend to have too much bass for some tracks, and I find the Solaris and Andromeda to have a more even response.
For reference tuning the general go to is either the 12 or the 18

I know you said you’d prefer the universals, but recently we were discussing customs vs universals on a different thread, and specifically regarding 64’s stuff, the difference is massive

A custom will yield much better detail retrieval, instrumental separation and soundstage depth. I used to own both the A and U18t, but ended up selling the universal as it just didn’t feel like it reached the performance of the custom

Oct 25, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #8,157 of 23,561

Based on the Solaris and the Andromeda, I'd most recommend the 18t. Then again, I've only heard the U version, so your mileage may vary.

Oct 25, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #8,158 of 23,561
Second-hand U10 with an Adel G1 module is reference-ish and excellent value. Apex M20 gives better isolation but significant bass emphasis.

Oct 25, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #8,159 of 23,561
I just went from Andromeda to U18t. The U18t is like Andromeda extended. Improvement in detail, texture and sound stage. Andromeda can sometime sound a bit veil, the U18t fixes all of that. It maybe slightly less bassy than the Andromeda depending what you used to drive the Andromeda (as it changes tonal balance depending on source). Something to be aware of.

So far I don't have regrets going to U18t.

Oct 25, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #8,160 of 23,561
Wow...that was easy.

I don’t need to respond, but I’ll repeat:

U18t.

I’d strongly suggest the A18t as it essentially sounds like an enhanced version of the U18t, but you said you want to go universal.

For reference tuning, an even response, and not too much bass, either version of the 18t is about as good as it gets.

Last question, to be sure, do you prefer dynamic driver bass or balanced armature bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

• dkjh
Back