The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Sep 18, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #7,937 of 23,651
@Omashhour yes, stock cable (supposedly improved with Noir vs. ‘Std’). I have other cables to try, e.g. Leonidas Octa, to see if that changes anything much

I tried the noir with the stock silicone tips and the erlkonig’s cable It opened up the sound stage, I think it was wider than the z1r and gave me more micro details.

Sep 19, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #7,938 of 23,651
Bought my Tia Fourte Noir at Audio46 (in the store today) - one of the best store experiences ever (!)

The Noir is in a class of its own. I compared it in store (on my Cayin N8) with the U18 Tzar - the Noir is in a completely different category.
Compared to e.g. the Sony IER-Z1R (which I also love dearly), the fit is equally comfortable, sound stage much smaller, but a more coherent frequency range. Which is interesting as e.g. Twister’s review of the original Fourte (not Noir) seemed to suggest that there were some perceived coherence issues. Definitely not an issue with the Noir (for me). “Full bodied” is the #1 attribute of the Noir. Nice contrast to my KSE 1500 ... Not tempted to engage Tube mode on the N8 quite as often as with some ‘thinner’ IEMs.

After a couple of hours listening I would echo the sentiment that it’s not for everybody: It definitely is somewhat ‘noir’ (dark) in its tuning.
So far I am having tons of fun using ‘half’ of @crinacle ’s setting (via the AutoEq Github site) in the N8’s fixed band EQ: -1, -2, -3, -1, 1, -1, 2, 2, 4, -2

What the Noir is not: Realistic in the sense of ‘you are there’ with live music.
I have had the great privilege of spending last night at the Village Vanguard, listening to Ravi Coltrane and his most excellent quartet. I agree with him that VV is “the best Jazz club in the world”, even though it is awfully tight and there is no food.
This morning before walking over to Audio46 I (naturally) spent some time listening to ‘Countdown’ on John Coltrane’s ‘Giant Steps’ (source: DSD), which was also featured in the live gig last night. Closing my eyes, on the Sony IER-Z1R, the recording allowed me to picture Coltrane, Chambers, & co. in a very ‘realistic’ way. Some substitute of not having a recording of last night ... With the Tia Noir, the imaging is just not ‘there’ to the same extent (last night I was sitting about 1m/4 ft behind the pianist, so I got the full more or less un-amplified experience).
I know that this is probably the most demanding benchmark ever - within less than 24 hours comparing a live concert with a recording - but still, others (Z1R) do better here than the Noir. This doesn’t subtract from the pleasure of listening to the material on the Fourte Noir - but you have to listen in a different way, and depending on what your looking for at that moment, it may not be as engaging.

Unique (?) selling point for the Noir: I don’t have any other IEMs with tubes to equalize ear pressure. Right now I’m on a flight from New York to Seattle, much better experience (as should be expected) using the things on an airplane. Esp. preserving the bass seems to be much more successful at 30000 ft, even compared to my CIEMS.
Paul’s bass line in “Come Together” (Abbey Road, 24bit 2008 remaster) is definitely coming together for me ... And as I am typing this (next track) something in the way the music moves, is attracting me ...

Another consequence of this acquisition: I felt much better changing my order for the Astell&Kern SP2000 from copper to stainless steel.
This is due to credible postings in the SP2000 thread about issues with the copper material tarnishing in no time, due to poor coating.
I want a ‘no hassle’ experience - even if possible to return the player for exchange or repair, I would rather not have to go down that route.
Now with the Fourte Noir, there should/could even be a special synergy with the allegedly brighter SP2000SS ... And, due to the SP2000 delivery delay, I now have the Caying N8 if I ever want a more “full bodied” sound - so having both, the SS will allow me to play different genres more in a ‘horses for courses’ strategy ...

Caveat: I didn’t bring the 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter with me on the trip, so have been listening exclusively single ended 3.5mm on the N8. I will post an update if balanced mode changes the signature (which it could, esp. regarding my observations above on imaging/soundstage).
I found that the Noir’s stock cable really limited its soundstage and imaging capabilities, it felt better with all of the other cables I tried and none of them were especially high end like the Leo 2 Octa

Sep 19, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #7,939 of 23,651
couldn't agree more re: cable. stock cable is ergonomic but that's it. the difference between the stock cable and the PW 1950s could make anyone a believer in the cables. chalk and cheese. horrible high resolution on top of itself spaghetti versus a wide and highly resolved and entertaining soundstage.

Sep 19, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #7,940 of 23,651
couldn't agree more re: cable. stock cable is ergonomic but that's it. the difference between the stock cable and the PW 1950s could make anyone a believer in the cables. chalk and cheese. horrible high resolution on top of itself spaghetti versus a wide and highly resolved and entertaining soundstage.
I think there’s something weird about the stock cable cause I already noticed a massive improvement when I plugged the Noir into the stock U18t cable...

Sep 19, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #7,941 of 23,651
Wow guys - thank you!!!! I had in the back of my mind some reviewer giving the Noir stock cable 'decent' marks ...
I just plugged in my Leonidas II Octa ... OH MY GOD. This is absolute end game territory (still using the N8, now taking advantage of the 4.4mm balanced out).
Looking forward to compare and contrast N8 vs. SP2000SS (arriving tomorrow) with this marvelous IEM.
FWIW right now listening without EQ to avoid the N8 firmware 3.0 instabilities I encountered -- I am not sure EQ is even needed anymore after the cable switch!!!

Sep 19, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #7,942 of 23,651
Wow guys - thank you!!!! I had in the back of my mind some reviewer giving the Noir stock cable 'decent' marks ...
I just plugged in my Leonidas II Octa ... OH MY GOD. This is absolute end game territory (still using the N8, now taking advantage of the 4.4mm balanced out).
Looking forward to compare and contrast N8 vs. SP2000SS (arriving tomorrow) with this marvelous IEM.
FWIW right now listening without EQ to avoid the N8 firmware 3.0 instabilities I encountered -- I am not sure EQ is even needed anymore after the cable switch!!!
No need to EQ it imo - a small reduction in the bass maybe at best

Sep 19, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #7,943 of 23,651
I can't believe how cheap the cable for the A12Ts feel. I bought some effect audio cables, could someone help me make sure that I picked the right connector?

The website had two two-pin connection options, one looked like it was for recessed connectors and the other looked like it was for non-recessed ones: https://www.effectaudio.com/vogue-series/virtuoso.html

I picked the "connector 2 pin ciem/flat" as my ciems do not have a recessed 2pin port/connection (see pic). Is this the right one?

20190919_162648.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #7,944 of 23,651
I can't believe how cheap the cable for the A12Ts feel. I bought some effect audio cables, could someone help me make sure that I picked the right connector?

The website had two two-pin connection options, one looked like it was for recessed connectors and the other looked like it was for non-recessed ones: https://www.effectaudio.com/vogue-series/virtuoso.html

I picked the "connector 2 pin ciem/flat" as my ciems do not have a recessed 2pin port/connection (see pic). Is this the right one?
2pin CIEM flat is the one you need :)

Sep 19, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #7,946 of 23,651
hm interesting. I thought all the 64 audio customs used recessed sockets. Did you request your A12Ts to have flat sockets?

Sep 19, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #7,948 of 23,651
I did not, I would've preferred recessed ones but I'm guessing it didn't work with my ear shape?
I asked when I ordered mine and was told they try to do recessed when they can; but it depends on the ear shape/mold whether or not there is space. Or of course if you explicitly ask for flat sockets.

Sep 21, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #7,949 of 23,651
I thought I'd share my tip-modding details for those who might be interested. I posted this in the "Best IEM tips" thread but seeing as I did this specifically for the U18t, hopefully it's useful here (although if there's a rule against cross-posting that I'm not aware of, feel free to delete)

Copied directly from that thread:

I love the Shure triple flange tips - other triple flange tips are too soft (Mee Pinnacle) while the remaining multi-flanged tips are RHA (bi-flange) or Spin Fit (bi-flange). These either don't get a great seal for me (RHA) or are a bit stiff and hurt my ears (Spin Fit), while other tips (foamies, single flange etc,) just do not work for my ear canal, so I've been trying to figure out a way to get the Shure triple flange tips to work. I was able to stretch the stalk over the bore of my U18t, but it's a hassle and, more worryingly, once on, it seems to shut down the sound and ends up creating a very boomy sound signature - I think the sound is being channeled through a narrow bore and getting mixed up and incoherent, I'm sure there's a scientific explanation but whatever happens, it sounds a bit muffled so I needed to widen it somehow. (By the way, I'm pretty sure this would work with Etymotic tips, but I don't have any to test it on.)

My original idea was to insert a soldering iron tip into the bore, but it ended up being a bit too hot. It either melted the core or it warped the tips
I gave up for a while, but after a couple of weeks I began to wonder if there was another way. So this morning, I grabbed a new pair of tips and tried this:

Firstly - cut the stalk to a length you need. I usually cut it to within 2mm of the line of the bottom (base) flange.

Next - grab a solid rod that's a mm or 2 wider than the current hole. A tapering point works best. I used a couple of soldering tips for this - the one on the right I used for the bore of the stalk (it's narrower and therefore grips the IEM core a lot better) and I used the one on the right for the end from which the sound is emitted. (Example pics in the three pics below)

For each insertion, boil some hot water and place the tips while they're stretched out over whatever object you're able to find to perform this process into a small glass or dish and pour the hot water over it. Leave it for 30-60 seconds, then remove and pour cold water over it. You can then remove the tip from the metal rod and perform the same steps again for the other side (once for the stalk side, once for the audio out side)

Once you've done all four holes, you should be able to slip these over a pair of 64 Audio bore holes. I haven't tried this for my Solaris, but it should work just fine

Here are the results - alone and next to a standard tip which I have on my SE846.

Works wonderfully and it's really opened the sound back up to perform as well as (or better than, in my opinion) the stock tips, which I don't like because they keep falling out.

Anyway, hope this is of some use - I might have very odd shaped canals and therefore nobody else will need this, but if it helps just one person then that was worth my time posting this, I guess.

Sep 21, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #7,950 of 23,651
Anybody know how long 64 Audio takes to process impressions? Mine were delivered last week, but no update as of yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back