The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
May 12, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #6,286 of 23,552
Seems like i should be joining the 64 audio party soon! Can i understand how long do such iems usually last? Assuming one babies them as they should be haha

That was a concern of mine a number of years ago, back in the only choice was an iPod days (YIPES)

This portable audio was new,and so i was a noob to it

So looking in Bestbuy and the like i seen Shure? earbuds etc at 700.00 or so, and scoffed

Man these small things won't last long at that price, the salesperson agreed

Not sure why i assumed small things would not last

i will be moving to the 64 audios, likely CIEM 18t,i have had my Future sonic MG6 pros for 5 years or more

CIEM

No problem

May 12, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #6,287 of 23,552
That was a concern of mine a number of years ago, back in the only choice was an iPod days (YIPES)

This portable audio was new,and so i was a noob to it

So looking in Bestbuy and the like i seen Shure? earbuds etc at 700.00 or so, and scoffed

Man these small things won't last long at that price, the salesperson agreed

Not sure why i assumed small things would not last

i will be moving to the 64 audios, likely CIEM 18t,i have had my Future sonic MG6 pros for 5 years or more

CIEM

No problem

Thanks Roze! Knowing that a investment such as a u18t will last me many years with care sure makes this decision much easier :gs1000smile:

May 13, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #6,288 of 23,552
Seems like i should be joining the 64 audio party soon! Can i understand how long do such iems usually last? Assuming one babies them as they should be haha
Honestly if you look after them well enough it can be a few decades, and worst case scenario you can always send them to have them repaired or reshelled. Ordered the A18s myself recently as that's not the sort of tech that will always be relevant. I refuse to spend thousands on a DAP as it is something that will be phased out within a few years tops, but when it comes to earphones/headphones, these things are built like tanks if you pick quality.

EDIT: here's a thread on longevity. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/how-long-do-ciems-last.872820/ some guys reporting over 12 years of stage use from UE, as an indication

Last edited:
May 13, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #6,289 of 23,552
Honestly if you look after them well enough it can be a few decades, and worst case scenario you can always send them to have them repaired or reshelled. Ordered the A18s myself recently as that's not the sort of tech that will always be relevant. I refuse to spend thousands on a DAP as it is something that will be phased out within a few years tops, but when it comes to earphones/headphones, these things are built like tanks if you pick quality.

EDIT: here's a thread on longevity. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/how-long-do-ciems-last.872820/ some guys reporting over 12 years of stage use from UE, as an indication
Thanks for that mate

May 13, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #6,290 of 23,552
On the lighter side of things... all this assuming "upgraditis" haven't get to us first...

Quite serious that, no known cure yet on Head-Fi - just constant managing the condition... and in some serious condition, join support group with noble intentions like "AA" (Alcoholic Anonymous) only it's called "HH" (Head-Fi Help)

Last edited:
May 13, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #6,291 of 23,552
On the lighter side of things... all this assuming "upgraditis" haven't get to us first...

Quite serious that, no known cure yet on Head-Fi - just constant managing the condition... and in some serious condition, join support group with noble intentions like "AA" (Alcoholic Anonymous) only it's called "HH" (Head-Fi Help)

Shhhhhhhhh this is not how we talk before new purchases

May 13, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #6,292 of 23,552
For the ones that have had customs for a longer period of time: how do you clean/maintain them? Should I get one of these headphones vacuums or is the cleaning tool that's included sufficient?

May 13, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #6,293 of 23,552
For the ones that have had customs for a longer period of time: how do you clean/maintain them? Should I get one of these headphones vacuums or is the cleaning tool that's included sufficient?

It depends on how much wax your ear canals typically produce. I personally only have to vacuum my in-ears once every few months, while my dad has to unclog his after every other gym session. For the newer 64 Audio models with the single tia bore, I'd highly recommend getting the FiR Audio Headphone Vac, because it has a 3mm nozzle designed for those bores. Trying to scrape wax off of the cerumen filter with the cleaning tool is more likely to break the wax and push it through the filter. Using a Jodi-Vac with its tiny, syringe-like tip will (unless you're careful) lead to a similar outcome. So, a Headphone Vac or Vac Jr. should suffice.

Some may recommend purchasing a dehumidifier as well. I believe its function is to remove all moisture from the internals of the IEM after use to prolong their life span. But, there are a couple dangers with the device too in my experience. A friend of mine once incorrectly oriented his IEMs in his dehumidifier by accident, and it deformed the sound tubes, causing channel imbalance. So, take caution in using it if you choose to purchase one.

May 13, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #6,295 of 23,552

Actually a combination of my own indecisiveness and my own wacky ears (audiologist a) " Everyones ears are unique, you happen to have a pair that are more unique than most" and audiologist b) " You have all sorts of dips and grooves going on in there!) means I cope quite well. With universals there's sadly not a lot of point as I think most of them won't fit me, and customs until now have been a bit of a pita!

May 13, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #6,296 of 23,552
Aaaaand i i just got my u18t!!! Just wondering what cables do you guys use with this? I am hearing good things about the pwaudio no5 but have a chance to get effect audios lionheart at a good price. Also whats the sonic difference for a 4 core vs 8 core pwaudio no5?

May 13, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #6,297 of 23,552
i think with 8 wire you will get a wider sound stage and more separation and maybe a bit more 3d.

i use PW1950s with mine and it is very nice. i am sure #5 would be nice too. my recommendation is pw 1980s as i have heard it is excellent but more affordable than 1950s.

there is a high end cable thread you might wanna look up.

May 13, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #6,298 of 23,552
1950 is absolutely astounding with the a18.

May 13, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #6,299 of 23,552
Just placed an order for the DITA OSLO for my A18t. I also received my FIR Audio Atom XL modules, I found the -13 dB one to be too light on the bass, didn’t bother trying the -15 module as I assumed it was the same as the one 64 audio provides. I really enjoy where the -17db (gold) module sits in terms of the audio spectrum. Seems slightly more airy than the M20 without really giving a hit to the lower end.

May 13, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #6,300 of 23,552
i concur with toaster22. 1950s does an extraordinary job especially for such a comfortable cable. i find it ideal for commuting because it really drags the music to the fore which can be helpful when ambient noise levels aren't zero. the sound is utterly mellifluous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back