The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Dec 8, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #14,896 of 23,720
Look forward to more comparisons, also between Z1R and Nio + M15. Enjoy!

To my ears the Z1R fails in the mids even with the m15s + Nio. There is just more "sparkle" and personality with the Nios

That flexibily (apex), combined with the fact that the Nios are just so super comfortable has me leaning towards selling the Z1R - it's already back in the box poor thing :frowning2:

I was hoping it would be the Nio with an m12.5 in it but it's not!

These reviews you read are super useful but there is nothing like your own ears to tell you your truth.

Dec 8, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #14,897 of 23,720
To my ears the Z1R fails in the mids even with the m15s + Nio. There is just more "sparkle" and personality with the Nios

That flexibily (apex), combined with the fact that the Nios are just so super comfortable has me leaning towards selling the Z1R - it's already back in the box poor thing :frowning2:

I was hoping it would be the Nio with an m12.5 in it but it's not!

These reviews you read are super useful but there is nothing like your own ears to tell you your truth.
Really appreciate your feedback. I'm glad I'm not the only one in love with Nio's mids. They really are world class. And the MX lets them shine. The Z1R along with the Legend X are the only two other IEMs I wanted to audition, thinking they could offer something better than what I have, or at least a different flavour. My audition shortlist is now down to one thanks to you :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #14,899 of 23,720
Really appreciate your feedback. I'm glad I'm not the only one in love with Nio's mids. They really are world class. And the MX lets them shine. The Z1R along with the Legend X are the only two other IEMs I wanted to audition, thinking they could offer something better than what I have, or at least a different flavour. My audition shortlist is now down to one thanks to you :wink:

Just to add a contrasting opinion into the mix :wink: .... Nio aren't on the Z1R's level apparently.

Dec 8, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #14,900 of 23,720

Just to add a contrasting opinion into the mix :wink: .... Nio aren't on the Z1R's level apparently.

Wait, that's the same Bad Guy that said MEST is better than Z1R, right... And BLON-03 is better than kilobuck IEMs... Contrasting indeed :smirk:

Dec 8, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #14,901 of 23,720
Wait, that's the same Bad Guy that said MEST is better than Z1R, right... And BLON-03 is better than kilobuck IEMs... Contrasting indeed :smirk:
And putting aside the short reference to Z1R, a very positive review of the Nio overall.

Dec 8, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #14,903 of 23,720
And putting aside the short reference to Z1R, a very positive review of the Nio overall.
It was, yes. I think the recent Headfonics review was the second-best I've seen so far, in terms of depth, detail, and taking the time to try and compare the different modules. Second only to @twister6, naturally, which is the Gold Standard. @Resolve's review was also outstanding.

Dec 8, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #14,904 of 23,720
And that is EXACTLY why we need CanJam and other audio shows back!!! Damn pandemic :frowning2: I had a few people who are first time 64 Audio buyers pinging me being confused while reading polar opposite impressions here, trying to figure out how iem will sound after reading reviews, impressions, videos, and graphs, all contradicting each other. I mean, eartips selection alone with make a big difference with Fourte/Noir lower treble if you go between stock silicone vs stock foamies. So, maybe a good idea to mention which eartips you guys are using.

Dec 8, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #14,905 of 23,720
And that is EXACTLY why we need CanJam and other audio shows back!!! Damn pandemic :frowning2: I had a few people who are first time 64 Audio buyers pinging me being confused while reading polar opposite impressions here, trying to figure out how iem will sound after reading reviews, impressions, videos, and graphs, all contradicting each other. I mean, eartips selection alone with make a big difference with Fourte/Noir lower treble if you go between stock silicone vs stock foamies. So, maybe a good idea to mention which eartips you guys are using.

For me comply isolation plus (small, 500) - the nozzles are pretty much the same size on the Nio and Z1R

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003BF1Y0Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #14,906 of 23,720

Does this mean that his opinion doesn't hold as much weight as drlorks? Indeed, he enjoys the MEST as much or more than the Z1R which would also mean that he prefers it more than the Nio. Just out of curiosity, have you heard the MEST or Blon-03?

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #14,907 of 23,720
Good point. For me it's Spiral Dot S. Otherwise Sedna EarFit Short or Xelastec.

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #14,908 of 23,720
Does this mean that his opinion doesn't hold as much weight as drlorks? Indeed, he enjoys the MEST as much or more than the Z1R which would also mean that he prefers it more than the Nio. Just out of curiosity, have you heard the MEST or Blon-03?
I actually quite like his videos, though his taste in music doesn't align with mine at all. I bought the BL-03 on his rec and love them. They don't compare to the Nio or Trio in terms of technicalities, but their tonality is spot on, and I sometimes prefer it when I don't want to think about my music and just having it play in the background.

Based on everything I've seen, heard and read about the MEST they're not my cup of tea, but I haven't heard them myself.

BTW I was being facetious in my earlier reply and sometimes overdo the sarcasm. My bad.

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #14,909 of 23,720
Wait, that's the same Bad Guy that said MEST is better than Z1R, right

He places both the MEST and the Z1r in their own "elite tier" above everything else. While I don't personally agree with this I have owned the Z1R and am currently in the midst of a 3 week stint with the MEST and based on my own memory of the Z1R the two actually have a lot in common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back