The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Dec 8, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #14,911 of 23,720
And that is EXACTLY why we need CanJam and other audio shows back!!! Damn pandemic :frowning2: I had a few people who are first time 64 Audio buyers pinging me being confused while reading polar opposite impressions here, trying to figure out how iem will sound after reading reviews, impressions, videos, and graphs, all contradicting each other. I mean, eartips selection alone with make a big difference with Fourte/Noir lower treble if you go between stock silicone vs stock foamies. So, maybe a good idea to mention which eartips you guys are using.

This is exactly why I always mention dap, cable and tips.
And of course Tigers Ears hahaha

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #14,914 of 23,720
Dec 8, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #14,915 of 23,720
I actually quite like his videos, though his taste in music doesn't align with mine at all. I bought the BL-03 on his rec and love them. They don't compare to the Nio or Trio in terms of technicalities, but their tonality is spot on, and I sometimes prefer it when I don't want to think about my music and just having it play in the background.

Based on everything I've seen, heard and read about the MEST they're not my cup of tea, but I haven't heard them myself.

BTW I was being facetious in my earlier reply and sometimes overdo the sarcasm. My bad.
It’s all good, I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. I’m also quite fond of the Z1R and think it should be tested to see if it ticks your boxes before writing it off altogether. But each to his own, going off of your love of the Nios smooth sig I doubt the Z1R would be up your street anyway.

Dec 8, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #14,916 of 23,720
It’s all good, I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. I’m also quite fond of the Z1R and think it should be tested to see if it ticks your boxes before writing it off altogether. But each to his own, going off of your love of the Nios smooth sig I doubt the Z1R would be up your street anyway.
Then again, I love my nio and also loved the z1r too in spite of the differences. I actually likely would never have even gotten the nio if the fit of the z1r was better for me.

But in the end I also did rank the nio higher over the z1r by a slim margin, though that was mostly to my preferences and wasn't strictly just based on sound. The z1r is one of those that I think needs to be heard. It won't be for everyone, but it is pretty special.

Also not a fan of bggar in general. Other than his personality, he seems to hype way too much stuff.

Dec 8, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #14,917 of 23,720
Then again, I love my nio and also loved the z1r too in spite of the differences. I actually likely would never have even gotten the nio if the fit of the z1r was better for me.

But in the end I also did rank the nio higher over the z1r by a slim margin, though that was mostly to my preferences and wasn't strictly just based on sound. The z1r is one of those that I think needs to be heard. It won't be for everyone, but it is pretty special.

Also not a fan of bggar in general. Other than his personality, he seems to hype way too much stuff.
Yeah I'd like to clarify that I'm not a fan of his, just thought I'd offer a contrasting opinion as there is always one! I'd like to hear the Nio one day but based off of some impressions i've heard against the Legend X, I think I'd prefer the Z1R.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #14,918 of 23,720
Can anyone recommend a good carry case that can take 2 or 1 iem and a dap (sp2000) . Thanks

I like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/DD-C-2019-Black-Protective-Organizer/dp/B082YLFJHB
DA93E5FF-C52A-47BB-A0FF-63D5253099F4.jpeg

Dec 8, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #14,919 of 23,720
Yeah I'd like to clarify that I'm not a fan of his, just thought I'd offer a contrasting opinion as there is always one! I'd like to hear the Nio one day but based off of some impressions i've heard against the Legend X, I think I'd prefer the Z1R.

From what I heard Nio is closer to the noirs signature then any iem in the 64a line up. With the ability to fine tune the sound with modules.

But its not there to the noirs supremacy in tuning.

None the less I think nio also offers one heck of a price ratio for the $/performance.

And I left ier-z1r for trio by the way, I found Trio much more to my preferences and it rules them out in edm.

Dec 8, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #14,920 of 23,720
From what I heard Nio is closer to the noirs signature then any iem in the 64a line up. With the ability to fine tune the sound with modules.

But its not there to the noirs supremacy in tuning.

None the less I think nio also offers one heck of a price ratio for the $/performance.

And I left ier-z1r for trio by the way, I found Trio much more to my preferences and it rules them out in edm.

Based on these posts....

I think it's wise to wait for more impressions. FWIW I did listen to all the 64 Audio IEMs on display and the Sony Z1R with my own Mojo, with the Hiby R3 as a Transport. The 64 Audio booth actually had a set up for the IEMs with a Mojo connected to a tablet running Tidal, which was very convenient. They all sounded great with and without the Mojo so I don't think the source is a major issue here. If I hadn't heard the Sony, I'd probably have thought the tia Trios were the best.

A friend of mine recently got a pair of Sony Z1R in a trade and has let me borrow them for a few days. I've not been a Sony fan for decades. Back when the ES line was introduced I thought it was over-priced (of course, that was before I had a real job, so everything was over-priced) and I didn't really like any of their "regular" components. He's let me borrow a couple other pair of Sony IEMs recently, and each of them was, "meh" to me. Combine that with the notorious fit issues and you could have knocked me over with a feather when I liked the Z1R. I think I'll even start eating Life cereal! How's that for dating yourself?

For me the fit isn't bad. I got secure fits with both Spin Fits (which I use for everything) as well as original Spiral Dots (my previous go-to). Getting the sound pipes deep enough for a good seal did result in mild discomfort, but I listened to them for four hours continuously at work this morning and enjoyed it quite a lot. The overall sound is more analytical and sharper than I'm used to from my Trio, but not fatiguing to me. They are fairly even top to bottom to my ears. Bass is an interesting combination of deep and extended while still being lean. I'll chalk that up to quick decay perhaps. I need to listen to some acoustic jazz music where the bassist really attacks the strings to hear the strings rattle. Treble is clear and crystalline. I don't think "forward" is the right adjective to use to compare the Z1R treble to the Trio. The two differ in a similar way to well-executed titanium and silk tweeters. Mids are bright, not lush, but overall tonality is musical. I need to get my "audition" play list out again and listen to some well-worn tracks. I haven't challenged the Z1R with deepest bass, bass detail retrieval, vocals, or treble I know to be well recorded yet.

I switched to my Trio, with the Custom Arts tips, and listened for a few minutes before lunch. The Trio are more relaxed than the Z1R. I think I hear all the details through both IEMs, so I think the Z1R are more analytical with more separation between the notes while the Trio are more relaxed. I have a hard time here because I'd would think you'd lose some detail retrieval if your IEM was skewed to the soft/ musical side rather than the sharp/ analytical side of the spectrum but I think both the Trio and Z1R have great technicals. I'm glad I get to keep the Z1R for a few days. They are fun to listen to.

And some impressions from @mashuto, I think I'd be happier with the Z1R given that the fit isn't an issue for me and the bass and treble is the best I've heard.

@Tristy Got a little time to compare the Z1R and the Trio... these two are much harder to compare than the trio and the andromeda gold because I think they are definitely playing at the same level technically where there was a fairly clear (even if small) difference between the trio and andro.

I guess Ill start with treble. Though I think my personal experiences with the Z1R do not quite match some the conventional wisdom surrounding them. Most people say the treble runs a bit hot and that a deeper insertion is necessary to tame it. That has never been my experience. Treble has always been super smooth for me on the Z1R and never hot. I bring that up because it definitely presents as smoother to me than the trio. There is no loss of detail there, just smooth and detailed. The trio by comparison feels like it has the edge on clarity, but again no real difference in detail if that makes sense.

Mids feel relatively similar here, with again maybe a feeling of a bit more clarity on the trio, while the z1r feels slightly recessed and maybe not as clear. Not a dig at the quality on the z1r, just kind of a different way to present things. Again more of a smooth feeling on the z1r.

Bass again feels to me kind of like the trio again aims for definition, while the z1r is again all about that smoothness. Bass is quicker on the trio, while its definitely slower and kind of lingers on the z1r making it sound more full and rich, even though I am not sure theres a huge difference between bass quantity between them. I do have to say that the bass on the z1r is possibly the best bass I have heard on an IEM. Its not for everyone since its not quick or super defined, but its just presented in such a natural way that makes songs sound really rich and full without beating you over the head with the bass.

So yea, kind of hard to compare between the two for me. They are both excellent, really really good. I think if I had to sum it up, I would say that the z1r is smooth, while the trio is a bit sharper and more defined. Both are very very detailed and not lacking in resolution, just a different way to present things. The z1r would almost be more like an analog interpretation while the trio is slightly more digital.

Some other things. Soundstage is excellent on both. Hard to compare there for me. As I said in my andromeda comparison, they are obviously still IEMs so most of the sound is still inside the head. But theres a nice sense of space and separation on them, and both are relatively 3d, at least as much as you can get with an IEM (well, based on my listening experiences so far).

The trio is more sensitive than the z1r, on my N6II with E01 on medium gain, I needed maybe 8 or so more on the volume count with the z1r to get somewhat similar listening volume. Both are dead quiet and have no hiss.

Comfort though for me is no contest, not even a little. The Z1R is big, bulky, and quite heavy. I have had to resort to numerous tricks in my time with it to get it from being painful and uncomfortable to a place where its acceptable, though still not particularly comfortable. The trio is just about perfect for my ears. No pressure points that I can tell, and just really comfortable. Only issue with the trio for me is the cable. Memory wire isnt my favorite and its stiff and kind of microphonic. The cable on the Z1R is much nicer, but the earhooks are rather hefty, which causes its own additional discomfort for me. Of course cables are swappable, so that may or may not matter to others.

I think if I was choosing purely on sound, it would be tough to call as they are both quite good. I might still give the edge to the Z1R as its timbre is really smooth and natural and its just a nice relaxing yet fun listen. But on the whole, I likely would choose the trio, as they are both pretty close to my preferences in frequency response. Neither also really stands out as "better" as they are just kind of two different flavors of great (in my mind). But the comfort on the trio I think gives it a bit of an edge in deciding which I would reach for more often. But I shall have to see which I end up reaching for more once the new toy syndrome of the trio wears off.
I currently own both the trio and the z1r. Never heard the u12t so I cant compare there. I find the treble on the trio a little sharp, and I can see how it would be hard for some to handle. The z1r is definitely smoother and less pronounced in the treble. So for that alone based on what you have said, the z1r would be better. z1r definitely has a fuller low end as I think it has more subbass extension, which I personally love. It gives everything a really rich full sound without bloating the bass. I definitely prefer it to the trio, though I do find the trio quite good there. Soundstages on both are about the same, that is to say, excellent for IEMs.

I imagine the shell shape and size on the trio and the u12t are pretty similar, and they definitely fit miles better for me than the z1r. I still have trouble with the z1r and have done things like swapping the cables and wearing them backwards, to wearing super shallow fitting tips, to now using a campfire smoky litz cable specifically just for comfort. They still arent great.

Soundiwise for me personally, the z1r is leading the pack in things I have heard, but thats more just about tuning, and its really only very slightly ahead of the trio and solaris that I recently picked up. But again, fit is atrocious. Best bet would be to demo it if possible before buying because the fit is kind of make or break on them.

Dec 8, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #14,921 of 23,720
Based on these posts....

And some impressions from @mashuto, I think I'd be happier with the Z1R given that the fit isn't an issue for me and the bass and treble is the best I've heard.

My own ears. I had a chance to hear them thanks to a friend

Dec 8, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #14,923 of 23,720
Based on these posts....

It's weird, going from memory (since I now haven't owned either the z1r or trio in a few months), I hear things differently than @macdonjh in that the trio was always the sharper one of the two to me. I know. A lot of people find the treble on the z1r can run a bit hot, so perhaps the sharpness I heard on the trio was due to the attack from the tia ba drivers vs the dd tweeter treble on the z1r.

Regardless though, I got the z1r first, and just like with the nio, the trio is one I likely wouldn't have even bothered with if the fit was better for me. Both have the same sort of mild v shaped signature that I think it's probably a bit redundant to go for the other if you already have one you like unless there happens to be some specific qualities you are looking for that one might have over the other.

Since you already have and enjoy the z1r and more importantly, it fits well, then as good as the trio is, probably not a lot of reason to add a relatively similarly tuned and similar performing iem to your lineup.

I do miss both my z1r and trio though.

Dec 8, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #14,924 of 23,720
It's weird, going from memory (since I now haven't owned either the z1r or trio in a few months), I hear things differently than @macdonjh in that the trio was always the sharper one of the two to me. I know. A lot of people find the treble on the z1r can run a bit hot, so perhaps the sharpness I heard on the trio was due to the attack from the tia ba drivers vs the dd tweeter treble on the z1r.

Regardless though, I got the z1r first, and just like with the nio, the trio is one I likely wouldn't have even bothered with if the fit was better for me. Both have the same sort of mild v shaped signature that I think it's probably a bit redundant to go for the other if you already have one you like unless there happens to be some specific qualities you are looking for that one might have over the other.

Since you already have and enjoy the z1r and more importantly, it fits well, then as good as the trio is, probably not a lot of reason to add a relatively similarly tuned and similar performing iem to your lineup.

I do miss both my z1r and trio though.
I think that comparison of yours was one of the ones that pushed me over the edge get the Z1R. I don't find the treble harsh at all, I think a lot has to do with tip and insertion depth... but saying that, when experimenting with various insertion depths and tips I never found any harshness. But yeah, after years of reading about both I would tend to agree that they seem more alike than dissimilar.

Dec 8, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #14,925 of 23,720
@64Audio - not sure if I missed the reply. So I ask again: how do I tell from the Fourte’s packaging with the outer sleeve which have not yet been updated, that they come with the earphones that have the new logo and the new storage case? Thanks.
Sorry we were making sure to get accurate info. Anything that has been purchase from us from 11/25/2020 has the new logos on the unit, so I would advise you to reach out to your local dealer to confirm the ship date of the unit in question, or if you're purchasing from us it's guaranteed that the logos of the unit are new.

64 Audio Stay updated on 64 Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/64audio https://twitter.com/64audio https://instagram.com/64audio https://www.64audio.com/ info@64audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back